Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bench
OP Offline
bench
What should be the point of emphasis at a middle school program? This is my first year. Thanks

B
brace
brace
B

In order:

Technical, tactical, physical, learning to compete, and way down the list ...

Winning.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Having fun with your friends...period.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
I would say that it all depends on what kind of players you have.

L
Goal
Goal
L
or what kind of coach you have.....
don't look at jv as a place to develop as a player

bench
OP Offline
bench
I am a coach in learning, thanks for the vote of confidence. My players have great ball skills and very physical. Learning to play together since they come from three different club teams will be a challenge.

B
brace
brace
B
Don't look at jayvee as a place to develop as a player?

Wow, someone must be having a lousy jayvee experience.

Many great athletes' careers included a relevant, valuable jayvee experience, including development as a player.

C
Coach
Coach
C
JV should be a place to develop as a player, as well as a place for players to develop as a team. I'd say points of emphasis on a JV/middle school squad should be ball skills first, then team tactics, but overall a sense of team spirit and a love of the game. That's an age when young people need to appreciate WHY they play the game just as much as HOW to play it. That "why" will carry over into their varsity years and might just make the difference between those who choose to continue playing and those who digress to other interests.

I've got good news and bad news...
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Ball skills: I have always seen this as a 360 degree skill with multiple loops for the better skilled player. Always in connection with the basics and then finding the correct application.
Example : many can perform perfect cuts verse cones but they forget to sell the feint.

Mentality: Develop a sense of honor in being a footballer. Try not to do the old tired cliche "No one cares about soccer".
Find what works for your team. The captain on my team is 1/4 Japanese and I am a fan of Miyamoto Musashi so it has been fun using some of his teachings.
"The warrior enters the field of battle without ever leaving" not Musashi word for word but along the same mental idea.

Success vs Winning: Talk to the team and find your objectives.
Start with individual objectives ( crosses from the side of the 18, headers for goals) all these individual ones will actually require a team effort.If you complete enough successful objectives you will win.

Stay in contact with your JV and Varsity coach and keep some continuity. Develop the "One Program" mindset.

Retention: Give yourself the opportunity to coach at younger age levels. The need for the better coaches at younger levels is greater than experienced coaches at the upper levels. The younger kids get a kick out having a High School coach, they feel like they are getting professional training.

The above has so far worked out fairly well with our program. Our JV started with borrowed equipment and volunteer coaches, we had two 8th grade players as de facto coaches.

Using the Coach Chass/Shiner yardstick we have completed some objectives and still have many more to go, Ooh Rah!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yep, four years later and our JV still has borrowed equipment and volunteer coaches...and they're still getting a lot accomplished each year!

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard