Next Thread
Print Thread
Talon Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
February 22, 2011

Okpodu served as head coach for scarlet and gray for seven seasons

NEWBERRY, S.C. – Newberry College announces the end of an era, as Sam Okpodu will no longer head the Wolves’ men’s soccer program. Okpodu was the longest tenured men’s soccer coach in the program’s history.

“Newberry College and the athletic department are very appreciative of the contributions and leadership by Sam as our head men’s soccer coach,” Muller said. “We wish him continued success in his future endeavors.”

Okpodu served as Newberry’s head men’s soccer coach for seven seasons. In that time, he compiled a record of 42-73-10 (.376), with a record of 16-33-3 (.337) in South Atlantic Conference matches.

A national search for Okpodu’s replacement will begin immediately.

Founded in 1856, Newberry College is affiliated with the South Carolina, Southeastern, Florida-Bahamas, and Caribbean Synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Newberry is a proud member institution of the NCAA Division II and the South Atlantic Conference, a league comprised of 10 colleges and universities in North and South Carolina and Tennessee.

Okpodu era of men's soccer ends at Newberry

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
any knowledge of his future endeavors?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
MAN DOWN!

Stuff White People Like: #589 - Guy Fieri
J
bench
bench
J
The man will be missed. One of the Greatest coaches in the game today.

world cup
world cup
The man must be measured by more than just wins & losses.

He is a true "teacher" who really cares about making young men into better human beings. He prepares his players for the game of life....not just the game of soccer.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

The man must be measured by more than just wins & losses.

He is a true "teacher" who really cares about making young men into better human beings. He prepares his players for the game of life....not just the game of soccer.

Well said Hurst. Sam has had a direct impact on so many South Carolina youth players. I truly hope he's able to remain within the area so he can teach even more aspiring players about the game in the years to come.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
B
brace
brace
B
One should never confuse being a great person -- or even a great person and teacher -- with being a great coach.

Coach Okpodu is undoubtedly a great person -- maybe even a role model. Most players love him. However, in the U.S., we tend to evaluate coaches by a single metric: Winning. This is particularly unfortunate at the college level, where soccer should first and foremost be the (motivational and financial) means to an end (educational).

In listening to Sam, my sense was that he was somewhat discouraged by the commitment level of SOME of the players on his 2009 team. I don't know if that changed in 2010.

I would also say that losing wears kids down, especially when, as a coach, you rigorously demand and expect commitment they can not deliver.

We'll see where Sam resurfaces. Hopefully, it's sooner rather than later, and in a place where his unique philosophy meshes with players' commitment levels.

I
goal
goal
I
I do not know where he will wind up, but SC soccer is worse off, with him gone. Good luck Coach.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

I do not know where he will wind up, but SC soccer is worse off, with him gone. Good luck Coach.

Agreed. Good luck to Newberry College on finding as quality a coach/mentor/man as Coach Okpodu.

Brace
Brace
Coach Sam a class act all the way around. He has a passion for the game, the players, and life. He coached two of my sons and not only improved their soccer game but also taught them something about themselves.

Link Copied to Clipboard