Print Thread
Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23
I
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
I
Quote:

ilove you just proved my point . the aau player does practise more...BUT NOT DURING HIGH SCHOOL SEASON!Read the whole post!

Sorry your wrong. How often does your daughter and her teammates practice together after a HS soccer practice ? I will answer that for you, never. After a HS basketball practice what percentage of the players do you think hang around the gym or head home to work on what they just learned and continue playing after dinner(most likely with club or AAU teammates). I would bet a very high percentage. Overall an elite Basketball player plays and or trains 365 days a year without a break. Call it what you will but I never hear the word burnout in the same phrase as basketball.

"Duh,WINNING."
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I think you're missing my point. If you take 2 athletes. both are high end athletes D1 recruits. One plays basketball and one plays soccer. Each play for their respective clubs and on their high school team. 100% of the time the club team is going to be much better than the high school team in both sports, that's a given. In Basketball and other youth sports they give the kids a break from the high pressures of club play for a few months, but in soccer they don't now. Are you telling me that a youth soccer player needs 12 months of highly competitive play and basketball only needs 8? That doesn't make sense. Also this past year with the start of the ECNL league is the only time my player had to play year round for the past 3 years in high school my daughter did not have a spring club schedule her freshman and sophmore years...

You are missing my point. The other sports are only able to give the 4-month break because it is the same 4 months in all states. That's not the case for soccer. Which 4 months do you propose to give the break? Fall, Winter, or Summer? Or are you going to try to get all 50 states to play high school soccer during the same 4 months each year? If so, good luck with that one.

Quote:

...Also as you see in another thread several states forbid playing non interscholastic play during high school season.

As was pointed out in the other thread: "been there, done that" in SC. The SCHSL rule against dual participation was struck down by the SC state legislature in 2001, 2002 or 2003 (not exactly sure which year).

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
no i get your point. but iloves original post was effect of ecnl on viking cup. this is the first year that ecnl has effected viking cup, ecnl is a club event. i'm saying why can't it go back to the way it was when high school players were not required to play club ball in the spring. make youth club soccer an 8 month venue in sc from june-december for high school players.

and in my opinion the the rule needs to be reversed. who do we write? State Congressman?

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Perspective...and practicality...could a national league, scheduling a tournament for 110 teams from 32 clubs from multiple states all over the U.S., possibly take into account every "important" HS tournament in every state in their membership when scheduling an event?

Or does it seem just a little bit more "arrogant" to assume that everyone in a national league needs to schedule around OUR particular season, and OUR particular tournament that WE consider "elite" because it affects US?

Of the 52 member clubs of ECNL only 29 (3 more than half) participated in the San Antonio event.
I agree that the organization cannot schedule events to avoid all conflicts with HS soccer especially conflicts with individual HS soccer events.

However, a quote for reference from a FAQ page posted earlier by ECNL at http://usclubsoccer-eliteclubs.d4sportsclub.com/PageCustom.aspx?id=62&o=340781 ...

"Can a player that participates in the ECNL also participate in high school soccer?
Yes. The ECNL schedules are created to insure that all players that participate in the ECNL also have the opportunity to play high school soccer. The ECNL is not prohibiting players from its member clubs from participating in high school soccer."

So, as the parent organization appears to support participation in HS soccer but can't avoid all individual club conflicts with those HS commitments of its players, I guess the organization leaves it to the individual club to avoid the local conflicts.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
oh and by the way, i think hs soccer can deal with the same weather as hs baseball in all 50 states. so spring might be a good idea. Wow, that's what season sc is on now, but ecnl screwed things up by overlapping hs soccer in the spring.

corner kick
corner kick
So, really, the argument isn't that ECNL overlaps with SC spring soccer seasons...it's that the rest of the United States should march in line and play ALL high school soccer in the same exact season as South Carolina, despite field availability and differing climes, so that club seasons can thoughtfully schedule themselves around a single uniform high school season...as dictated by South Carolina.

Right.

I try to avoid sarcasm, but really...if that's not the definition of egocentrism, I don't know what is.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
ak have you ever heard of little league baseball, aau baseball, softball. they all are outdoor sports and they do it.

C
Coach
Coach
C
DD,
Please explain how scheduling an event that conflicts with one high school preseason tournament equals not giving players "the opportunity to play high school soccer." Nothing in that statement guarantees or even suggests that players would be able to play every match of every season without conflicts or choices. It simply says they will not restrict players from participating on other teams by rule.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

ak have you ever heard of little league baseball, aau baseball, softball. they all are outdoor sports and they do it.

Have you ever heard of faulty analogies? As has been said many times already to apparently deaf ears...

Find me states that play baseball and softball in winter and fall seasons, and I will acknowledge the valid comparison.

Hard to schedule national events with no conflicts when soccer is played in three different seasons around the country.

I've got good news and bad news...
T
corner kick
corner kick
T

So, it would go something like this?

Dear Congressman,

I know you have a lot on your plate, but I have a huge grudge with a soccer club that my daughter used to play for. This could all be fixed if you would pass a law regulating high school preseason tournaments and club soccer so that my daughter's high school team will have a better chance of winning said preseason tournament. Furthermore, I would like for you all in Congress to put a cap on all opportunities offered by any soccer club. My daughter used to want all of these opportunities and now she doesn't. Therefore, any such opportunities should not be offered to any other youth player whenever such opportunities should conflict with my daughter's high school team.

Sincerely,
SC Forum Poster

Is that about it?

Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard