Next Thread
Print Thread
W
wforte Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
W
Greensboro United Soccer Association, a newly formed club that is the merger of Guilford United Football Club and Greensboro Youth Soccer, is seeking a leader to work with the Board on creating and implementing a long range plan for the premier soccer club in the area. Our ED will work with the Board to build strong connections with the community and industry. Key responsibilities include management of multiple soccer programs (recreation, select, and adult), coordinating multiple facilities, fundraising, and hosting five tournaments per year. The Executive Director needs to be a team builder, salesperson, and organizer to support the success of the organization. Soccer or youth sports background preferred. Leadership experience is a must. $55,000 to $60,000 salary with incentives and benefits.

Please send resumes and statements of interest to:
Greensboro Soccer
Attn: Joel Mills
PO Box 9185
Greensboro, NC 27429
Or email to director@greensborosoccer.org or jameszeitler4@yahoo.com

S
throw in
throw in
S
I would only consider a job like that if it paid $115,000 and had a Land Rover thrown in for good measure with GUSA 1 on the plate.

S
bench
bench
S
Naaaah, would need to be more like $150K per year, new Land Rover every 2 years and some tax dollars for better facilities.

S
coach
coach
S
I'm up working this morning and ran across this as I was taking a break from working through some personnel issues. I liked the thread. While I'm not up on the latest, the "Land Rover" thing would make me think this has to do with CESA. First a disclaimer - haven't spoken to anyone from CESA in 3 years, have no relatives there, yada, yada, yada.

The reason this got my attention is that I'm now working with a startup company. If I do my job insanely well, I can make a lot of money - the venture capitalists will make a "more than a lot" amount of money! If I don't do my job well, then I will be asked to leave. My performance is measured on the company's results. I have sales people who can make a ton of money - all they have to do is hit their numbers. Last year, the company achieved a 50% CAGR (Compounded Annual Growth Rate) - much higher than plan - doubled our headcount to over 100, etc. I'm hoping we can get to a 100% CAGR this year.

I work about 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week. I love what I do. It's amazing to me that I'm fortunate enough to get paid to do this.

All my life I've put myself into high risk and high reward situations like this. I've also made sure that the people I work with are inordinately rewarded for great performance. Of course, on the downside, I believe that you need to quickly help people with bad performance get better or find a job somewhere else in the world better suited to their talents and motivation.

The hardest thing I face daily is finding people with the intelligence, attitude, and character needed to fuel this company. Nothing on that has changed in the 25+ years I've been working in my industry.

I have not a clue as to the details of CESA's pay structure, or its performance as an organization, or whatever. But to me - that's the heart of a fascinating discussion. What were the goals of CESA? Is pay for CESA tied to those goals? Is the "reward" (upside) tied correctly to the "risk" (downside?) Stuff like that.

Because without that, I can't figure out if $100K and a Land Rover (or whatever) is obscenely overpaid or obscenely underpaid.

P.S. If you know someone who is intelligent, motivated, and has great character who needs a job (or you know a business that needs backup, archiving, and disaster recovery protection), go look at careers at a company called "Unitrends."

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Shibumi

It's always good to hear from you. I think that you're right in pointing out that not many people truly know how the job description of the two CESA heads actually reads. Very few know exactly how many hours they put into their jobs on a weekly or monthly basis. Not many people know what the stated goals of the organization actually are. There are probably 3-4 people who know what the Land Rover agreement actually says. I wonder how many people have personally seen at W-2 for either of the CESA heads.

Yet somehow, I always see figures tossed around as if they are factual. I read criticism regarding people being overpayed. I guess that facts or research can sometimes get in the way of the emotional argument that a person really wants to make. You see it in politics all of the time when some will criticize a bill or a budget that they've actually never even read or understood.

Either way, like I said, it's always good to hear from you. But I guess, as someone who knows very little about me pointed out, I'm probably just drinking the Kool Aid.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Good to see Shibumi still lurking about!

Just a very general and totally objective observation...overpaid, underpaid, or right on the mark, very few people are paid according to what THEY think they're worth. Most are paid according to what they've convinced others that they're worth.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
bench
bench
S
You are not only drinking the Kool-Aid, you just might be the Kool-Aid.

Link Copied to Clipboard