3.) Mauldin
4.) Woodruff
5.) Irmo
6.) Hilton Head
7.) Christ Church
8.) Clover
9.) White Knoll
10.)Spring Valley

I have been watching from the sidelines for a while. This is my first post. I am not sure how the "REAL DEAL" poll works but it seems to look very similar to the BCS football poll. Teams ranked on reputation rather than results.

Lets look at the results of the "REAL DEAL" top 10 against each other.

1. Riverside (Win) Clover, Mauldin(pks) / Loss HHI

2. Wando (win) Irmo, Woodruff) / (Loss) HHI(pks)

3. Mauldin (win) None / (Loss) Riverside(pks)

4. Woodruff (win) None / (Loss) Wando

5. Irmo (Win) None / (Loss) Wando

6. HHI (Win) White Knoll(pks) Spring Valley(pks) Wando(pks) Rinverside / (Loss) None

7. Christ Church (Win) None / (Loss) None

8. Clover (Win) None / (Loss) Riverside

9. White Knoll (Win) None / (Loss) HHI(pks)

10. Spring Valley (Win) Mauldin / (Loss) HHI(Pks)

Maybe ESPN has it right for week #2 Standings.

ESPN RISE

Tony
How many ECNL players was HH missing at the Viking Cup ?

I think that is a different thread "The Effects of the ECNL on the Viking Cup" has been well documented and debated. I believe there are a 100 or so posts about that subject. However, I will answer your question. I beleieve they (HHI)had all there players present for the Viking Cup (3 Seniors, 2 Juniors, 13 Sophmores, 5 Freshman) as most play for Low Country club teams. That being said unless I am mistaken at no point did HHI have more than 11 players on the field at any given time. I also believe that every team they played had at least 11 players as well. Here is why your argument is irrelevent. It is not players 1-11 that will win or loose championships. It's players 12-20 that make the real difference. It's called depth and if you want to win you have to have some. That being said HHI is consideraby smaller than the other teams mentioned. They have a fraction of players to pull from compared to the teams you are referrring to. This is not the direction I was going in. I was simply saying lets give the girls from HHI the credit they are due in the Week #2 rankings. We have the rest of the season to seperate the best from the rest. I am sure next week there will be an entirely new order to consider. Lots of soccer yet to be played.

corner kick
corner kick
Sounds like a pretty good point Tony.

S
coach
coach
S
>>It is not players 1-11 that will win or loose championships. It's players 12-20 that make the real difference.<<

[Please note the following: ]

When I first read this, the sheer genius of it was lost on me - but the more I've thought about it, the more I realize that this is quite possibly the single most brilliant observation on this forum - or for that matter on any forum in the galaxy.

By the logic above, players 1-11 (11 players) should be benched as a unit since they don't win/lose championships. Players 12-20 (9 players) should be started since they win/lose championships. That leaves them 2 players short.

Those 2 players by this logic are the key. Because as soon as players 12-20 are started, they become players 1-9. By the logic that players 1-11 don't matter, then players 1-9 matter less. So the top 9 of the original 1-11 who don't win/lose championships are then rotated in.

You can tell where this takes you - you're constantly swapping lineups for players 1-9 - who alternatively don't matter and do matter depending upon the lineup. It's a Schrodinger's cat kinda thing - where the state of the 1-9 is unknown. This confused me further since the coach is constantly observing and naming the players 1-11 and 12-20.

But then I realized that the coach doesn't win/lose championships either, it's only players 12-20. So if the coach doesn't know which players are players 1-20, then players 1-11 versus players 12-20 are an unknown - in essence, they are entangled and thus don't collapse into a known state.

But the top 2 players are in essence a standing wave function that is constantly collapsed. So they are the key.

So fundamentally the question is whether those two players were at the ECNL event that conflicted with the tournament. If they were there, then there precise position is known - which as per Heisenberg's uncertainty principle would imply that we can't know their identity since we know their absolute position.

The rationale behind all of this of course is Godel's incompleteness theory - that we can't understand those 1-20 players because we're working within the known system of soccer.

So all of this seems moot - or "mute", if you're from South Carolina and have a governor who influences the composition of a set of trustees that attempt to improve the quality of our universities by limiting higher paying out-of-state students (who tend to subsidize in-state student tuition) so that we don't have high-IQ carpetbaggers forcing high-technology industry into our state and thus crowding out higher paid service-industry jobs at McDonald's.

H
Bench
Bench
H
Exactly!!!!!!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Wow...the most mind-boggling thing about that whole post was that I followed it!

That said...

Players 1-11 don't often win championships BY THEMSELVES...they may determine how the game starts, but it's often the depth of bench that determines how it ends. Of course, if the starting 11 do a good enough job, they can make #12-20's jobs much easier just to hold the lead!

THAT said...due credit to Hilton Head. Having seen them firsthand (much to my chagrin), I have to say they are a talented squad from top to bottom, with a good depth of talent on the bench as well. Many of them have come up through the ranks playing together, and it shows. They are definitely exceptional as a high school team.

I'll also pass along a compliment from my girls on the field--realize, of course, that girls don't give frivolous compliments after taking their first big whuppin' of the season.

"Coach, they're just good. They're not mean, they're not rude, they don't take cheap shots. They don't run their mouths; they just win the game with their feet."

To me, that's the highest praise a team could ask for.

I've got good news and bad news...
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

"Coach, they're just good. They're not mean, they're not rude, they don't take cheap shots. They don't run their mouths; they just win the game with their feet."

To me, that's the highest praise a team could ask for.

Tremendous compliment. Way to go HHI! That is the way every coach should want her/his team to play and to be remembered by the opponents.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

>>So all of this seems moot - or "mute", if you're from South Carolina and have a governor who influences the composition of a set of trustees that attempt to improve the quality of our universities by limiting higher paying out-of-state students (who tend to subsidize in-state student tuition) so that we don't have high-IQ carpetbaggers forcing high-technology industry into our state and thus crowding out higher paid service-industry jobs at McDonald's.

Love it!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard