Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
bench
bench
I
Refs do get assessed. Many HS refs are club (USSF) refs. Coaches should not assess refs (at least not solely) becasue they are usually not trained to do so and look for different things then a trained assessor. Example: the winning coach of a club match complimented me (imagine that!) after a game. Said he appreciated me giving some signals (ie pointing at my hand or making a tripping motion) I was assessed and got good score but was severely dinged for doing that. Assessor said I should never justify a call and doing so in a high level match undermines the refs authority. HS previously had signals but they were eliminated this yr so you should only tell the coach "foul" when he asks what the call was.

L
Goal
Goal
L
the good refs aren’t the problem…..its the bad ones! The bad ones need to be identified and given further training and development (mentored by a good ref) to become “good refs” or removed from the ref pool.
The parents/fans aren’t helping matters but the focus needs to be on improving bad ones.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

Assessor said I should never justify a call

And therein lies the problem! Youth soccer should follow world politics and get rid of the dictators!!

C
kick off
kick off
C
To answer the original question, yes.

But the problem is that is the way they are taught to handle situations on the field. The level of officiating in this state is way below the standared it needs to be. In many many cases it is shocking at how some games are officiated. I could give 20 - 30 examples of what refs have said to me and how situation were handled that would amaze people.

But it stems from the whole way officials (1) get their certification and then are (2) taught and (3) assessed there after. For the more competative leagues the officials should go through a much more intensive training schedule. You have ref's that are book savvy and other that are game savvy. Book savvy ref's are usually worse refs.

A player and coach have the right to question a ref's call as long as it is done in the right manner. If a coach is biased and complains the whole game he is just as bad as a bad ref. Ther are just as many coaches out there that are completely unprofessional as well.

In business you learn to deal with personalities. I will treat one employye or customer one way and another in a slightly different manner based on how they handle things. Thats how refs should do it. You can not treat everyone the same. If I (as a coach) approach a ref in a professional manner I would expect them to reply in the same professional manner. But what I see from the sidelines is a dictatorship on the field not allowing any communication with coaches.

Another thing is that many ref's give out way to may yellow cards. Refs need to learn to communicate with players on the field instead of giving cards. These refs that do this are usually book savvy refs. The book says do this and they do it. Calling a player over and giving him a good telling off will have a much better impact than flashing yellow cards the whole games.

There are some good refs out there. The center ref at the Eastside vs Greenville game @ serrine stadium last week did a great job. He is young and knows the game and actually encouraged communication with coaches!!!! 1st time in years I had heard a ref say that.

After saying all this my point is that I feel that until the whole way refs are certified and trained is changed we are going to coninually have to put up with below par officiating.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Refs do get assessed. Many HS refs are club (USSF) refs. Coaches should not assess refs (at least not solely) becasue they are usually not trained to do so and look for different things then a trained assessor. Example: the winning coach of a club match complimented me (imagine that!) after a game. Said he appreciated me giving some signals (ie pointing at my hand or making a tripping motion) I was assessed and got good score but was severely dinged for doing that. Assessor said I should never justify a call and doing so in a high level match undermines the refs authority. HS previously had signals but they were eliminated this yr so you should only tell the coach "foul" when he asks what the call was.

Ok, so simple question...if the point of officiating a match is to promote proper play according to the rules, why would you NOT want both the coach and the players to clearly understand the reason for the call? Simply making a call with no explanation (unless, of course, it's a completely obvious foul) is punishment, not correction. Correction requires an understanding of what the mistake was so that it can be addressed and avoided in the future. Calls with no explanation when neither the player nor the coach understands the reason only produce frustration--how do you avoid getting punished again when you don't understand what you did to warrant it in the first place?

Clearly set expectations from the beginning and clearly explain transgressions, and you allow the players and coaches to share ownership of responsibility for good play, and usually they will show their appreciation. Try to protect some image of arcane power by using the "because I said so and that's all you need to know" approach, and not only do you not actually help to correct errors, but you set yourself up as the enemy and often end up losing the respect that the "you don't have to justify a call" idea seems to be trying to cultivate.

Long story short, I would say people like your assessor are part of the problem that seems to be driving a wedge between players/coaches and officials, when ideally we should all be on the same page and working together for a better, safer game. People who are confident in their authority don't have to worry about it being "undermined" by something as simple as an explanation...only the insecure who don't have much control in the first place would think that showing humanity shows weakness.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal
goal
S
Well Said!

Does the captain have the right to be present when a ref is talking with an opposing player? Not interfering but listening? Just want to know how the players are to approach a referee in these situations?

bench
bench
Quote:

Really??? NFHS Soccer Hand Signals

I
bench
bench
I

Really??? NFHS Soccer Hand Signals

Exactly!! Look at the approved signals in your link. Only for direct, indirect, etc. No approved signal for type of foul (ie tripping, striking, etc)

I
bench
bench
I
Coach Chass: I agree with you, but FIFA and USSF do not. This is not just a lone assessor, it is their policy. You will never see a ref in EPL or MSL indicate what the foul was (remember the USA in the World Cup?). At lower levels I think indications are helpful for just the reasons you indicated. However the actual point of my post is that there is a discrepency between what refs are trained to do and how refs are assessed and the criteria coaches use to evaluate them. The signals were just one example, there are others.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

You will never see a ref in EPL or MSL indicate what the foul was

That's because 'signals' are a pointy football thing!! It's not because they are taught not too!!

I can tell you that they (the EPL Referee) will explain their call far more willingly than your local SC referee, which I believe is all that is being asked by the coaches on this board.

BTW: I definitely do not want to see some referee flapping his arms all over the show like a pitching coach - I just want him to answer a civil question in a civil manner (justification).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard