Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Interesting that Irmo has never competed in the Palmetto Cup. Also, that 10-1 score against Farragut sticks out like a sore thumb.

T
TSO Offline
kick off
kick off
T
I wasn't bashing Northwestern or anything, I think they are clearly the answer to the original question, it is just annoying when people throw out terms like National Champions when they weren't. If 13/50 states play now, that means 37/50 don't. Odds are, especially since the big time talent states like California, Florida, and Texas are part of that 37, the best team in the country is from one of those 37. Just by simple odds.

And the talent in states like California is not more spread out, it is the opposite. The talent in this state is spread out, which is why there are so few dominant club teams. You could go to cities like San Diego and Dallas and have 3-4 teams better than CESA, even though CESA attracts people from the entire state. There are usually 2-3 great players on a SC high school team max, most teams are lucky to have 1.

Here is the #1 team from winter rankings:

Quote:

1 Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.) 24-0-1 1
Season complete. Montverde closed out the first undefeated season in the program's history with a 6-0 win over Seminole. The Eagles outscored their opponents 106-12. The team's key victories were over Tampa Jesuit (twice), American Heritage-Plantation, Bishop Verot (twice), Tampa Prep and Boca Raton. Juan Jose Morales led Montverde with 27 goals. Joao Victor Ramalho added 20 goals and 12 assists. Henrique Novaes scored 15 goals, David Graydon had 11 goals and 12 assists and Marco Warren contributed nine goals and 12 assists. The team is coached by former Clemson player and assistant coach Mike Potempa. All six seniors are committed to NCAA Division I or II programs and four of Montverde's six junior starters are being recruited by ACC schools and the other two are Division I recruits, as well.

Huge shocker that is is a school from Florida. All seniors playing college soccer. Four juniors being recruited by ACC teams (clearly the #1 conference). Northwestern had 1 player go to an ACC school, albeit one of the best HS players ever.

bench
bench
2000s
1. Northwestern
2. Irmo
3. South Aiken
4. Wando
5. Bishop England
6. Pinewood Prep
7. Riverside
8. Christ Church
9. Riverside
10. Spring Valley

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I wasn't bashing Northwestern or anything, I think they are clearly the answer to the original question, it is just annoying when people throw out terms like National Champions when they weren't. If 13/50 states play now, that means 37/50 don't. Odds are, especially since the big time talent states like California, Florida, and Texas are part of that 37, the best team in the country is from one of those 37. Just by simple odds.

And the talent in states like California is not more spread out, it is the opposite. The talent in this state is spread out, which is why there are so few dominant club teams. You could go to cities like San Diego and Dallas and have 3-4 teams better than CESA, even though CESA attracts people from the entire state. There are usually 2-3 great players on a SC high school team max, most teams are lucky to have 1.

Here is the #1 team from winter rankings:

Quote:

1 Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.) 24-0-1 1
Season complete. Montverde closed out the first undefeated season in the program's history with a 6-0 win over Seminole. The Eagles outscored their opponents 106-12. The team's key victories were over Tampa Jesuit (twice), American Heritage-Plantation, Bishop Verot (twice), Tampa Prep and Boca Raton. Juan Jose Morales led Montverde with 27 goals. Joao Victor Ramalho added 20 goals and 12 assists. Henrique Novaes scored 15 goals, David Graydon had 11 goals and 12 assists and Marco Warren contributed nine goals and 12 assists. The team is coached by former Clemson player and assistant coach Mike Potempa. All six seniors are committed to NCAA Division I or II programs and four of Montverde's six junior starters are being recruited by ACC schools and the other two are Division I recruits, as well.

Huge shocker that is is a school from Florida. All seniors playing college soccer. Four juniors being recruited by ACC teams (clearly the #1 conference). Northwestern had 1 player go to an ACC school, albeit one of the best HS players ever.

I am going to weigh in here and inform folks that Northwestern was the "National Champion" and deservedly so for the Spring Rankings. Just because 13 of 50 states (AK-AL-AR-GA-IA-NE-OK-SC-TN-UT-VA-WA-WY) play boys prep soccer in the spring does not make its champion any less of one from the fall or winter seasons.

I can assure you that the powers-that-be at the NSCAA, ESPN Rise, and StudentSports.com levels take the rankings as a very serious matter and do so with a pretty good understanding of just how good those teams are in their respective regions of the country.

T
TSO Offline
kick off
kick off
T
Quote:

I am going to weigh in here and inform folks that Northwestern was the "National Champion" and deservedly so for the Spring Rankings. Just because 13 of 50 states (AK-AL-AR-GA-IA-NE-OK-SC-TN-UT-VA-WA-WY) play boys prep soccer in the spring does not make its champion any less of one from the fall or winter seasons.

I can assure you that the powers-that-be at the NSCAA, ESPN Rise, and StudentSports.com levels take the rankings as a very serious matter and do so with a pretty good understanding of just how good those teams are in their respective regions of the country.

Which wasn't my point. There can't be three national champions, unless we are talking about three different countries or three different sports. That is hypocritical. The more appropriate term would be Spring Champion, Regional Champion, etc.

It would be like if the American League and National League played separate seasons and we declared the winner of each league as World Series Champions. Or both the Eastern Conference and Western Conference champions as NBA Champions.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
How is it "hypocritical"? I'm having trouble getting that through my head. Perhaps the word you're looking for is "redundant". I think it's implied that there is a Spring Champion and a Winter Champion. Would it be cool if everyone played at the same time and we could crown 1 National Champion? Sure, but even that would be invalid considering they more than likely would never be able to play one another like the NCAA or Professional sports do.

Puttin A's on B's
brace
brace
Quote:

I am going to weigh in here and inform folks that Northwestern was the "National Champion" and deservedly so for the Spring Rankings .

TSO you missed his point read the bold print. We are in SC and we play in the spring so the only National Champ we can compete for/care about is Spring Rankings. No one is sayig they were the All Seasons North Amercian High School champs, and anyone claiming they were champs has to reference the ESPN raie SPRING RANKING to do so.

However the fact that the NHS players were the core of the team that won the all U18 Boys Club Nationional Championship would go a long way my book to say that they could very well beaten any school team in the country that year. Beside any time you have the national player of the year (spring or fall) on your team you may just do ok.

B
throw in
throw in
B
I know this is High School and all, but DSC 90 Green won Nationals, where were the Florida, Texas, California teams?

B
throw in
throw in
B
TSO: Also NHS 2009 National Champions were 24-0-0, better record than Montverde.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard