Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#146509 04/17/11 05:19 AM
eMnAvA Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I have had multiple discussions with coaches with many different levels of experience. After looking back on a few things, I have begun to wonder what philosophy some coaches have. Is it better to think that "Defense Wins Championships" or is it better to have a team that can score many goals, but cannot play good defense? I have heard some coaches say that they always build from defense up by putting their best players in the back even though it does cause their attacks to not be very strong. Others just put their 2 or 3 best players in their best individual positions and build around them. I am just wondering what some of you think when it comes to your own coaching philosophy.

M
brace
brace
M
Not a coach but I'll weigh in on this one anyway. The spine of the team is the most critical component. Identify the spine and then build from a defensive standpoint with players who have composure under pressure in the back.

Players with composure initiate and execute possession oriented attacks. Outside backs must have the ability to attack with and without the ball at their feet and to hit targets at distance. All players from front to back must get behind the ball when not in possession. The entire team must be able to protect a lead, manage their shape and execute counter attacks with extreme precision and discipline while always understanding defending is critical to winning.

Players up top who understand how to use their support vs having the 'go it alone' mentality are critical to dynamic movement and one time finishing required in the final third so as to overwhelm defenders while combining with midfielders and outside backs. Midfielders must be workhorses from box to box who are exceptional technical but simple players with 360 degree vision and a determination that borders on obsessiveness.

Finally, the keeper must be a kick-ass cat with exceptional reflexes and great foot skills as the anchor in the spine of the team. Such a structure allows for strength through all thirds with a heavy emphasis on defending while achieving the ability to dominate offensively.

R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
Wow! I'd love to have a team like that.

Brace
Brace
Being able to properly evaluate players and putting the pieces together to make the strongest team, which usually means playing some in not their normal or strongest position. Keep it simple, teach them to make quick reads and decisions, play smart and not out of control.

As Manchester stated, a matter of keeping the proper shape, providing support when needed, making the proper runs with and without the ball, pressure the ball, and as Manchester also noted, being able to counter effectively and quickly.

Restarts should be immediate, all lanes filled, and not afraid to play the ball back and reset. Why do so many teams go one direction, straight?

My only question, why is this so hard to teach and have it displayed properly on the pitch when some of these teams have kids that have been playing for years?

goal
goal
It's probably not as difficult for some of the programs that have a majority of players that have been playing at a higher level of soccer for years, but I believe the vast majority of high school programs have many players at both ends of the spectrum.

If you have boys that have been playing Academy, Premier League, etc.; but at the same time half your team has been playing recreational soccer (or not at all in the off-high-school-season) where do you even start? If half your players have trouble trapping the ball, making simple push passes, etc., how can you run semi-complicated drills?

I bet good money that if you handed out questionnaires to high school teams around the state, the vast majority of players would not have a clue what terms like dynamic movement, keeping your shape, making a run without the ball, etc., mean.

Brace
Brace
Belligerent, good points. I remember a few years back I gave a Premier team a quiz at the beginning of the season. It had different scenarios and asked them to explain how the players should move and react. Less than 25% even came close to passing. Then you add HS ball where it seems many players play with the I mentality vs. the team concept. Do away with stats, or, at a minimum, give 2 points for the assist and one for the goal. And where are the defensive stats as they are the difference maker in the long run.

U
throw in
throw in
U
When I was coaching, I always tried to have a brick-wall defense. I always wanted to have two marking backs that had enough speed and a bulldog attitude to shut down their wings. Plus they need to have adequate footskills to make timely runs.

My sweeper is my fastest and best defender. I wanted someone there who had a nasty attitude. The stopper was just a mid-fielder with very good defensive skills.

I also would put my fastest players up top. I always wanted to put pressure on the defense with different looking runs.

It was pretty successful when my players were not getting pulled up to the Varsity team. I am not coaching this year, and I really miss it.

T
TSO Offline
kick off
kick off
T
Build through the center. Best overall player as CM. The 2nd and 3rd best player as ST and CB, the faster of the two being the striker. Recruit a basketball player to be GK unless you have one.

Most teams are lucky to have three great players, so just add from there. 4th best player would be the 2nd CM. 5th and 6th, ST and CB. As long as you have speed on the outside, they don't need to be that skilled. Just have them make runs and get rid of the ball quick.

You can easily teach defensive positioning to the fullbacks and it is a lot easier to play defense well than it is to score so that's usually where the inexperienced kids should start.

But if you have a really good ST, CM, and CB in high school soccer, you'll have a good team.

I think teams who put 3 of their top 4 players on defense are wasting their talent. Most high school teams aren't good enough on offense for that to be a need. Against teams that are way better then you, then it is fine but to keep them their all season is a waste. As long as you coach your defense well, any kid with decent athleticism can do a good job defending and then just clear the ball.

TSO #146517 04/18/11 09:19 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Your "general" coaching philosophy must be just that ... YOURS. It's what YOU believe.
That said, you must adapt your philosophy to match the resources available to you. How good -- and many -- are your players? How much does your community EXPECT? Do their expectations match their support and your resources?
Are YOU willing to compromise your principles?
I have coached big/small, public/private, boys/girls, no resources/unlimited resources, no expectations/high expectations.
The only commonalities were: Be on time! Respect your teammates, parents, teachers, fans! No profanity!
It all flows from there.
Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard