Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
world cup
world cup
Quote:

The biggest concern for college coaches - and I understand they are driven and focused - is once they got that scholarship- will they shut down with their improvements.

I've heard college coaches say that their biggest concern is "Does she still like to play soccer, or is she totally burned out?"

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
O
throw in
throw in
O
I would think the school that has recruited the prospect would not be talking to a random person about whether or not she is burned out. There are not many of these, so, I am wondering which coaches would be saying this?
Also, if she is burned out in 9th grade, why commit?

L
Goal
Goal
L
parents make them commit
they earn a spot along w/ 30-35 teammates
they love to play soccer, practice alot but see limited pt
they don't travel w/team
they quit team after 1 year

L
throw in
throw in
L
I personally do not understand early committments primarily because
1) committments are made to a specific coach/school. If a coach leaves the new coach is not bound to honor an early committment.
2) an early committment takes a player out of competition for other schools. Most recruiters will tell you to pick your top, middle, and bottom choice schools and market to all.
3) I have been surprised how many coaches will recruit 12 new girls expecting half to leave after the first year. In this scenario, early committment does not mean much, and
4) committing for a scholarship is important but when you consider that most coaches, at least D1, only have maybe 9 scholarships available for a roster of 22-24, then it becomes apparent that a few gets all, a few gets some, and some get none. Where does the early committment fit in that range?

O
throw in
throw in
O
Hurst: I am assuming the skill level of player who commits early is a bit above the other 99% which is why it is so rare AGAIN...WHY NOT CELEBRATE AND BE HAPPY FOR THE PLAYER?

Letme: Parents do not make them commit, not all rosters are 30-35 players, an early offer is most likely not made to someone the coach is planning to have sit the bench and there are many players who committed early that haven't quit are starting every game and are excelling both on the field and in the classroom.

LadyVolsDad: It is a personal decision and it is not for everyone. If a coach is willing to invest some of that 9 scholarships money in a player why not?

hat-trick
hat-trick
I believe the NCAA allows up to 12 scholarships for women's soccer in D1 and up to 9.9 in D2. I realize this does not mean every school will hve the money to fund that many scholarships.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard