Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
goal
goal
S&P,

That particular comment of mine was in regards to a specific part of that particular statement, which was (in part), that it's "safe to assume that the notice is about a HS coach being paid by his/her club to persuade the players to play for a certain club."

So, in this case, I was saying that your assumption "that the notice is about a HS coach being paid by his/her club" is NOT a safe one to make because there are many coaches who do not coach club, i.e., it can't be his/her club if he/she does not have a club. (and when I say have, I don't mean own, I mean coach for)

But, I'm not really even disagreeing with your overall theme – if you will please notice my last sentence where I say that if a coach were to accept anything in return for steering players a particular way, whether or not they did it for gain doesn't matter – it would appear that way, and that is enough to not do it.

Goal
Goal
Seriously...why even bother posting if your argument is over diction and common sense? You've now flooded this thread with muddled musings that really undermine the topic at hand. It's obvious within the context of each post here that we're talking about high school coaches who coach at a club. That was obvious in the original post I think. If you can't discern that then I don't know who can help you.

Actually the more I think about it, it's even worse if a club pays an outside coach that doesn't even coach at the club.

Last edited by shut^&play; 04/28/11 06:58 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
I've read and re-read the original post; I don't see anything to indicate that the high school coach(es) in question also coached at the club. The post simply said, "I heard that certain HIGH SCHOOL coaches are getting up to $50-$100 per player to steer their kids to certain clubs."

High school coaches who actually work for the clubs probably wouldn't need extra incentives to "steer their kids" to "certain clubs." It sounded to me like the issue in question is whether clubs are competing to get non-affiliated high school coaches to send them their business through monetary kickbacks.

If the high school coaches were also the club coaches, then yes, they would be receiving a certain amount of money for each of "their" players that they "steered" toward the club team--same as they would be getting for any other player who joined the team, in the form of coaching fees, unless they decided to waive those fees for their high school players.

I've got good news and bad news...
throw in
throw in
Per SCYS handbook online it says that tryouts for Classic/Challenge U11, U12, U16-U18 teams may start on May 2 and U13-U15 teams may begin on May 16. 2010 State Cup isn't until May 13-15 for U13-U14 teams. Not sure if this helps, but I doubt anyone has had any tryouts yet with high school still going on.

We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought.
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
people.....the quality of posts, and threads, has just hit an all-time low.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

people.....the quality of posts, and threads, has just hit an all-time low.

That's the first good post in this thread so far. I couldn't agree more.

JAK #147719 04/29/11 01:15 PM
goal
goal
S&P

You're right…my flood of 2 posts (now 3 – yikes!) was entirely out of line. Honestly, I'm just glad I didn't bring down the whole web with that craziness.

I was merely attempting (obviously unsuccessfully) to help YOU understand the difference between rumor, reality and your numerous inane assumptions. If you can't discern that then I don't know who can help you.

P
kick off
kick off
P
Quote:

Also, I heard that "tryouts" had been offered for certain girls recently and this is before club tryouts are even allowed by SCYSA. What gives?

I think this is a case of kids/parents using the word "tryout" in a manner that is not consistent with how most view it in a traditional sense. Most of us think of a group of players on a field being led and evaluated by a prospective coach as a "tryout."

I do know that some players have recently 'guest rostered' with clubs other than the ones they played the past season with in order to 'get more expsosure.' I also know that club coaches will go watch other teams play to see who they want to recruit. I guess you could say this, much like college soccer, boils down to who initiated the contact outside of the standard recruiting window.

It's a game of loopholes, guest-players, and different sanctioning bodies(USYS & US Club Soccer)having jurisdiction.

I may not have even come close to what you heard in terms of tryouts, but I heard that 'tryout' word associated with the guest players I make reference to. They viewed their guest play as a tryout. In reality, they are likely right, but legally, I think everything was within the guidelines.

I am not saying I endorse or comdemn the practice, just saying that is what I have observed. To be honest, I am not sure what my opinion is just yet.

Last edited by pitchparent; 04/30/11 12:56 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard