Next Thread
Print Thread
#147814 04/29/11 01:05 PM
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
There is various ideas on a coach's job during the actual game. Do we sit on the bench, do we walk the line, do we yell out commands? Just wanted to start a discussion to see what different people think. Is there a right way?

Goal
Goal
Personally, I like to stand or walk around. Some coaches feel that by standing, you're making the players feel stressed. To me, I feel if I am sitting down then I am not interested or focused on the game. There are times where I am pretty quiet. If I see something or want to encourage the team I will yell something out.

corner kick
corner kick
I always liked coaches who worked based on age groups...when you're younger, you need more constructive coaching during the match when you're making mistakes so you know what to look for and how to fix it (compared to talking about it afterward when the kid has already forgotten the incident) versus older kids when you should let them play for the most part, bar a few comments here and there, constructive, but not mean.

I used to know a coach who would sit on the sideline and read a newspaper on the sidelines. I preferred to stand and watch and be attentive, but not trying to control the game so my kids knew I was paying attention and that I cared, even if I wasn't speaking.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
P
Throw In
Throw In
P
Here's one sub-topic idea: unless something the referee does is truly egregious, stay off the ref. When a coach gets on the ref for every little thing, soon the players start to do so also. When the coach blames the ref for things that happen, soon the players do also. When the players have someone to blame for their mistakes, they forget to notice that they made a mistake. For instance, I'm doing this game, and a cross comes in; the keeper goes to catch it but drops it; it bounces a couple of times, the keeper fumbles after it, but a striker knocks it in the net. The keeper and the coach complain that it was knocked out of his hands (it wasn't). Then the coach says, "Don't worry--that was undeserved." How about, "If you catch the ball the first time, you have nothing to worry about. Catch the ball." But instead, the keeper doesn't have to worry about his mistake because it was my fault that the goal was scored. Oh, and one more little thing: if it's a 3-man system and one of the ARs pops a flag, say for off-side, the correct thing to yell is "Flag's up!" If the coach yells, "Off-sides," then the center just figures that the coach is whining again rather than trying to be helpful.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Here's one sub-topic idea: unless something the referee does is truly egregious, stay off the ref. When a coach gets on the ref for every little thing, soon the players start to do so also. When the coach blames the ref for things that happen, soon the players do also. When the players have someone to blame for their mistakes, they forget to notice that they made a mistake. For instance, I'm doing this game, and a cross comes in; the keeper goes to catch it but drops it; it bounces a couple of times, the keeper fumbles after it, but a striker knocks it in the net. The keeper and the coach complain that it was knocked out of his hands (it wasn't). Then the coach says, "Don't worry--that was undeserved." How about, "If you catch the ball the first time, you have nothing to worry about. Catch the ball." But instead, the keeper doesn't have to worry about his mistake because it was my fault that the goal was scored. Oh, and one more little thing: if it's a 3-man system and one of the ARs pops a flag, say for off-side, the correct thing to yell is "Flag's up!" If the coach yells, "Off-sides," then the center just figures that the coach is whining again rather than trying to be helpful.

Great Post

C
goal
goal
C
I believe you coach during the practice and encourage during the game. Coaching during a game will only retard the development of the player. I have seen many great players as kids that had parents or coaches choaching their every move from the sideline. The player has to make zero choices. They get older and the game speeds up and now the instructions can not be coached fast enough and the player becomes indecisive during the game. I have made all the mistakes.

Here I go again!
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I believe you coach during the practice and encourage during the game. Coaching during a game will only retard the development of the player. I have seen many great players as kids that had parents or coaches choaching their every move from the sideline. The player has to make zero choices. They get older and the game speeds up and now the instructions can not be coached fast enough and the player becomes indecisive during the game. I have made all the mistakes.

As have I! Excellent post!

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Nice post

Link Copied to Clipboard