Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 28 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 27 28
W
throw in
throw in
W
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/may/12/wando-dominates-white-knoll/

The PK taken by WK was for a hand ball just inside the box when the ball bounced up into Wando player's elbow. Awesome save by Amelia Henderson!

F
goal
goal
F
Bluffton was 13-7 last year versus 5-15 this year and someone is saying that the new coach has instilled a new mindset???

Last year Bluffton beat Berkeley, this year they lost to the Lady Stags.

So if going from winning 6 more than you lose, to losing 10 more than you win is "pointing the ship in the right direction", then kudos to the captain!

And if Bluffton is SO much better than they were last year, and kids are FINALLY buying into the program (how can you finally buy into a program after only one year, really?) then the real credit goes to... Coach Chass, who somehow was able to mastermind an actual turnaround and defeat this new and improved Bluffton powerhouse.

Undue praise is equal to undue criticism. It only serves to cloud the mind of the recipient.

Losing 2-0 to BC seems like a good result given Bluffton's record, give the girls and coach credit for a game well played.

Also, give credit to the new coach for scheduling a much tougher schedule than in previous years. But if those girls go 5-15 the next two years, either they'll lose interest in soccer, the coach will change mindsets and schedule more winnable matches, or the coach won't be around much longer.

Look at Byrnes or Richland Northeast for examples of how playing top level competition every year can burn a program out. Those schools have more talent than some AAAA schools that make the playoffs every year, but tough regions and tough non-region opponents have taken their toll on once strong programs.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Not sure I would use Byrnes as an example of a program that was burned out by playing top level competition.

First and foremost, parents at Byrnes got what they wanted in a new coach and a new direction for the soccer program. Getting rid of a very good coach that brought success to the program and he was competitive in most games they played in was the biggest mistake Byrnes made.

Secondly, Byrnes has lost some talent that past years and the talent coming up is very young and not as strong as in the past.

Last edited by DormanSoccer; 05/12/11 03:01 PM.
I
goal
goal
I
I would figure the AD thought about this, and did not make a knee jerk decision. It was his daughters senior year.

corner kick
corner kick
I am glad to know that you are able to simply compare the win-loss records of two seasons and gain instant insight into the quality of and direction in which a team is headed. Perhaps you may consider consulting with Coach Chass as to my "undue praise". Praise is certainly due to Coach Chass for the season he has had and I for one don't see the need to demean the work of one to praise another but that's up to you.

Regardless of what you think the Bluffton program is on the rise. I know this because several of these girls played on my club team and I know the quality of the coach due to the fact that he coached my daughter's club team. Mike has lost several talented players who would not commit to doing things the right way.

Quote:

Bluffton was 13-7 last year versus 5-15 this year and someone is saying that the new coach has instilled a new mindset???

Last year Bluffton beat Berkeley, this year they lost to the Lady Stags.

So if going from winning 6 more than you lose, to losing 10 more than you win is "pointing the ship in the right direction", then kudos to the captain!

And if Bluffton is SO much better than they were last year, and kids are FINALLY buying into the program (how can you finally buy into a program after only one year, really?) then the real credit goes to... Coach Chass, who somehow was able to mastermind an actual turnaround and defeat this new and improved Bluffton powerhouse.

Undue praise is equal to undue criticism. It only serves to cloud the mind of the recipient.

Losing 2-0 to BC seems like a good result given Bluffton's record, give the girls and coach credit for a game well played.

Also, give credit to the new coach for scheduling a much tougher schedule than in previous years. But if those girls go 5-15 the next two years, either they'll lose interest in soccer, the coach will change mindsets and schedule more winnable matches, or the coach won't be around much longer.

Look at Byrnes or Richland Northeast for examples of how playing top level competition every year can burn a program out. Those schools have more talent than some AAAA schools that make the playoffs every year, but tough regions and tough non-region opponents have taken their toll on once strong programs.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I feel I need to respond in defense of Coach Manning, as someone who has faced his team twice at different points in the season and who can also compare this year's team with last year's.

Last year's Bluffton team was, as we saw them, a straight-ahead team of hard knocks. We got there late after a 2-1/2 hour bus ride with less than 20 minutes to get off the bus and warm up; long story short, we were sluggish, never truly "got off the bus," and got run over by a team that aggressively went after the ball and took it straight down our throats.

In our first meeting with Coach Manning's team this year, at the season's start, both teams were still finding their groove, and there was still a lot of that straight-ahead, long-ball play. I criticized my team for getting drawn into a game of kickball in the second half, and we settled into our passing control game to pull off the win in OT.

At the end of season meeting, we went in feeling that we were playing much better soccer than we had a month or two before...but when we got to Bluffton, we found that they were playing a whole different brand of soccer as well. Speed of play had improved, passing, ball touches, and team shape had improved, and there were several instances where they were slicing and dicing us with passes where before they were relying on straight-ahead speed and physicality. We went into that game a better team than we were before, and they still gave us everything we could handle, even finding a way to get a ball in the net after a red card left them short-handed. They weren't just better at what they did--they were doing better things.

Bluffton did play a very tough schedule this year, and their record reflects that, but the result of the season in the pressure cooker, so to speak, was obvious to me. The competition has made them better, and they have stepped up not only their effort but their tactics to reflect that competition. That's the kind of mindset change that Sconners is talking about...where you take your lumps until you learn to do it right, but then you come out the other side as a different level of team.

At Berkeley we've had plenty of those years of similar records as Bluffton's 2011 season, with the likes of Wando, Summerville, West Ashley, James Island, etc. filling our schedules in their heyday of success. I think it's made us a stronger team in the end, and I think again that's the mindset Coach Manning is trying to create at Bluffton.

Next year should be very interesting.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I doubt Clover has ever visited Mann. May not be used to their fans "Mannitude". Mann fans when traveling bring it with them.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Hate to break this to you soccerpop but riverside game is the only game that brings out our mannitude. Well behaved every where else. Why is that?

Patriot, are you sure of this. I heard that you was chased down after the match for a SPECIAL match. I hear Mann won the soccer match 1-0 but more importantly who won the special match after Pantousco's father chased you down? You have been very quite. No post since the match!!

Patriot, I can assure you no matter what the outcome of Friday night's game is, we won't be waiting at the gate for you at the reservation. Just another "Upstate Final 4". TL Hanna, Mauldin, JL Mann, Riverside. Some things never change!!!

Patriot, if you are concerned about your safety at Away soccer matches, over at The Reservation we offer on a game by game basis and for only a $1750 rental fee, a secured Suite located in the Press Box area. Please make the check payable to Soccerpop.

Just let me know if you would like it for Friday's match.

M
throw in
throw in
M
Quote:

@Irmo
Riverside-6
Irmo-0

anyone have a game summary here?

Goal
Goal
There sure is a lot of Dad on Dad action on this forum. I find it gross myself but to each their own, don't ask/don't tell, and all that. I suppose there are websites, local watering holes, magazines, parades, and all other forms of stimuli that support this kind of behavior. I never imagined it would be a girl's soccer forum that would be the next attempt to gain social acceptance for this though.

C
bench
bench
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I doubt Clover has ever visited Mann. May not be used to their fans "Mannitude". Mann fans when traveling bring it with them.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Hate to break this to you soccerpop but riverside game is the only game that brings out our mannitude. Well behaved every where else. Why is that?

Patriot, are you sure of this. I heard that you was chased down after the match for a SPECIAL match. I hear Mann won the soccer match 1-0 but more importantly who won the special match after Pantousco's father chased you down? You have been very quite. No post since the match!!

Patriot, I can assure you no matter what the outcome of Friday night's game is, we won't be waiting at the gate for you at the reservation. Just another "Upstate Final 4". TL Hanna, Mauldin, JL Mann, Riverside. Some things never change!!!

Patriot, if you are concerned about your safety at Away soccer matches, over at The Reservation we offer on a game by game basis and for only a $1750 rental fee, a secured Suite located in the Press Box area. Please make the check payable to Soccerpop.

Just let me know if you would like it for Friday's match.

Has anyone seen or heard from Patriot today? Maybe his GPS could get him to Clover but not back to Greenville!! Or maybe the other Mann fans couldn't keep the Chiuaua off of the toy poodle. Maybe they are still locked up snarling and barking at each other!!! Maybe one is scared and the other one is GLAD of it!!

Good Luck to all the remaining Teams!!!

Page 12 of 28 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard