Print Thread
Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20
S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Whatever happened about the private tryouts the select players from Mike T's and Curtis Freeman's group had at BBT fields a couple of Sundays ago? Did the SCUFC coaches like what they saw?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

Quote:

The questions are these:

1) Does all the movement make kids BETTER?
2) Does one club have a monopoly on player development?
3) Is the grass REALLY greener?

Once folks realize that, for the VAST majority of kids, the answer to all 3 questions is "no," the weekly caravan on I-26 will be reduced to a trickle of terminally disgruntled parents and kids.

Once parents take a long hard look in the mirror and realize that their dissatisfaction level is THEIRS, and not the club's responsibility, and that it doesn't change from club to club ...

Over the years, I've seen kids jump all over the lot with no hard evidence that they were better for it. In fact, in athletic development, there's a lot to be said for continuity.

STOP THE MADNESS.

continuity is huge, our premier team actually was worse when the club went out of the area to get kids to come to our club, when we started doing that we didn't win state 2 years in a row, including losing to our own younger girls in the state championship game. my daughter would tell me the out of towners would only be at practice 1 day a week, so most practices were without the whole team. (not much of a team concept) doesn't make much sense does it?

I had this discussion with the CESA Directors and a Coach. They basically laughed in my face, at my suggestion that a TEAM is better off practicing TOGETHER as a TEAM at the SAME time and at the SAME location. They indicated it did not matter if some practice in Greenville, some in Columbia etc...

What really mattered to them was getting the Columbia and Charleston kids and their money.

B
brace
brace
B
As soon as we all cross the Rubicon -- and come to understand that in many instances, it's ALL about the money -- the sooner we'll empower ourselves to makes better decisions for our kids.
ANY club director/coach who tells you it makes no difference whether kids train TOGETHER for a TEAM sport is a liar. Period.

S
coach
coach
S
Interesting to break this down into logical ideas:

It makes [no, some, all the] difference whether kids [always, sometimes, never] train together in [all, some, none] of their practices for a team sport [when compared to nothing, when compared to having slightly better players available to the team, when compared to having much better players available to the team.]

The problem I always have with this thinking are the shades of gray. I'd rather have a vastly superior individual on the team that didn't practice with the team than a vastly inferior one. I'd rather players practice much more often individually than not practice individually so that they could only practice with the team. And so on.

Years ago, when I dealt with CESA directors and coaches, the discussion was around the shades of gray part.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

The questions are these:

1) Does all the movement make kids BETTER?
2) Does one club have a monopoly on player development?
3) Is the grass REALLY greener?

Once folks realize that, for the VAST majority of kids, the answer to all 3 questions is "no," the weekly caravan on I-26 will be reduced to a trickle of terminally disgruntled parents and kids.

Once parents take a long hard look in the mirror and realize that their dissatisfaction level is THEIRS, and not the club's responsibility, and that it doesn't change from club to club ...

Over the years, I've seen kids jump all over the lot with no hard evidence that they were better for it. In fact, in athletic development, there's a lot to be said for continuity.

STOP THE MADNESS.

continuity is huge, our premier team actually was worse when the club went out of the area to get kids to come to our club, when we started doing that we didn't win state 2 years in a row, including losing to our own younger girls in the state championship game. my daughter would tell me the out of towners would only be at practice 1 day a week, so most practices were without the whole team. (not much of a team concept) doesn't make much sense does it?

Not all out of towners.

goal kick
goal kick
Those two guys gbdawgs and soccerpop,or whatever their names are today,remind me of the little kid that has the ball but wont let others play with it!!Its mine and you cant cant play!!It was never about us ,it was about our daughter,and she turned out pretty good.Just think what it might have been if some parents had acted like parents and not judges!!

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Transplant

It seems that nobody was upset when your daughter came onto that team (from out of town) and scored some goals. They also didn't seem to mind when I.R. came onto that team (from out of town). E.S. moved to Florida and I.R. moved to her regular age group. That's a lot for one team to lose. The result was that they lost the state final after 8 or 9 pks one year and in overtime one year to a very good Bridge team. Now, years later, two guys (gbdawgs and soccerpop} whose daughters don't play club anymore are very upset about out of town players from the U-14 through U-16 years. I can't figure it out either.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
We had a girl travel about two hours to be on our team for less than half a season..Rarely showed up for practice..I guess the ride was to much..She made a huge impact in our midfield..changed the way we played..Sometimes it does work..I think the parents were alot to handle for the ole coach..

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Harry- don't show your ignorance. Transplant and family have lived in the Upstate for years. They are as local as it gets.

There is not a problem with an out-of-towner if they truly deserve to make a team, that's great. And Transplant's daughter would probably be better than most players on any team.

But when the out-of-towner displaces a starter and are as good or no better or even worse, are a lesser player. That is the issue.

You are just trying to twist it.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Maybe I have his identity wrong, but I'll let Transplant answer when his daughter joined that team and when they moved here from the Hilton Head area. Maybe they moved here before they joined the team, but I thought it was the other way around.

I'll let you tell me who you think got displaced that was better than MKM and BL. I think most coaches would take the two of them on their team anyday. And yes, every coach I know would take HA on their team too. I'll agree with you on that.

Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard