Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
kick off
kick off
M
On the U16 SC United Battery Roster, his given name, James Carlin, appears.

W
goal
goal
W
Dropkick99.....does NCSU and UNC Chapel Hill have an "incestuous" realationship with CASL? How about UCLA and LA Galaxy Academy or Arsenal FC?

Or does CESA have one with Clemson? I mean there are four players from CESA going to Clemson....Does this qualify? Or how about Irmo and USC Upstate? There are three to four Irmo players going to Upstate does this count too?

Last edited by Will Eudy; 12/12/11 05:33 PM.
B
brace
brace
B
Was that a rhetorical question?

M
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
M
I have read tons of posts on this website complaining about the lack of commitment by South Carolina colleges in recruiting our kids. Are we really arguing about the number of kids going to various South Carolina schools? This is a happy thread meant to celebrate the hardwork and accomplishments of our young people regardless of club affiliation. Don't discount that or the intelligence of the men and women who get payed to recruit them.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Bingo.

If USC has a pipeline out of SCU and Clemson from CESA, great!!! CESA kids are going to other great schools too, as are SCU kids. I've seen the Clemson coaches at my son's Academy games...and my son's R3 team games and scrimmages (he's not going to Clemson...they are looking at other kids). So they aren't just recruiting CESA kids, altho they are clearly taking advantage of their proximity. Why not? Same with USC and SCU.

The u16 Academy coach at CSA in Charlotte is Jeremy Gunn. Guess where a lot of those kids go? His opponent yesterday coaches the CASL u16's....and a bunch of their kids go to UNC. There are 3-4 kids from my son's Academy team going to Davidson (asst coach is the u16 Academy coach).

All positives......not negatives. I don't understand why more schools AREN'T networking.

D
throw in
throw in
D
Quote:

Dropkick99.....does NCSU and UNC Chapel Hill have an "incestuous" realationship with CASL? How about UCLA and LA Galaxy Academy or Arsenal FC?

Or does CESA have one with Clemson? I mean there are four players from CESA going to Clemson....Does this qualify? Or how about Irmo and USC Upstate? There are three to four Irmo players going to Upstate does this count too?

Seems as though I touched a nerve. And yes, incest appears to be rampant within the Academy/college ranks, though maybe not so great as with Columbia and you folks. And, by the way, it's "relationships" though the impropriety is very "real". As for CESA, the Clemson coach does not coach there. And the three players who play for Irmo that have committed to Upstate, One played for the DA last year, one played for CESA 93 Premier last year, and the third played for you, Will, on the Palmetto I team at SCUFC last year and this year. Irmo had nothing to do with it, and in regards to the player from the DA, neither did the folks there.
I have to agree with "momofboy" that this blog should be the celebration of those young men and women who have successfully earned a spot on their college team. Let's take this to another blog.
Last count I had, there are 21 young men in the 2012 class who play in SC (one is in the residency program in Fla, and one is from Ga) who have committed to play in college (20 to div I and 1 to div II). Incredible. And many more to come. Outstanding class. I wonder if this year is a record.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Agreed. Those of us who have watched the 2012 boys over the years know what a talented group this is. I doubt there has been a better class. And you are right....there are more to come. I know of at least 3 more D1 kids not yet announced.

W
goal
goal
W
THANK YOU Big Daddy. That is the point.

CESA 93 premier coach last year is a legend at Clemson. Won two national titles and PT played there too. Nice try!

If you want to discuss further send me a PM. or email me at weudy@cnhs.org

Last edited by Will Eudy; 12/13/11 02:12 PM.
R
kick off
kick off
R
Thought it may be a good point to jump in here as a coach both the DA and USYSA.

The fact that so many SC soccer players are committing to such fine schools is fantastic for each individual and even more so for the younger players in our state. As the current crop move into college and do well it will open up opportinities for the futures of our 12 and 13 year olds that may have not been there in the past. This is ALL good.

DK99- Your choice of the word "incestous" is probably what took the thread into a direction other then just celebrating commitments.
Bottom line is that all coaches will use all resources available to gather as much info as they can before THEY make the final decision on whether that player fits what they are looking for. I don't think you can blame anyone for that.

One final point to also consider is that sometimes it is hard to actually pin point who did what for whom during recruiting as the recruiting coach is using mulitple sources for info. For instance i am quite often asked about players that do not play for my club or team. BD's son is an example of that- he never played for us but i had seen him many times both in USYSA and DA. When asked, i gave my opinion that he was a very very good player who would do well for any college he decided to play for.My point here is not claim another "commitment" but just to highlight that college coaches will ask people whom they have soccer relationships with there opinion on players. It therefore stands to reason why some schools have a pipleine from particular clubs,coaches and / or geographic areas.

The bottom line is that i would bet 99% of the coaches in our State want the very best for each player regardless of club affiliation. Of course it feels great when "one of your own" signs for a college but ultimatley we all want what is best for our players and state. I know i was sure pulling for Enzo Martinez last sunday, as a great SC player. Just as i Was when Joe Amon , summerville sc, was playing in this summer's u17 world cup for the USA.

B
brace
brace
B
Purely from a player's perspective, the MOST important thing to ask yourself is: Why are they recruiting me?

I am of the opinion that the ability to split grants-in-aid into fractional pieces allows certain less transparent coaches/programs to stockpile players, as much to keep them AWAY from competitors as to bring them in to PLAY.

I always hope that, when a kid commits, he knows exactly what's in store for him, and that a "verbal commitment" is worth the paper it ISN'T written on.

As Rob said, we all should celebrate our fellow South Carolinians' successes. And we should keep a watchful eye out for those programs and coaches that don't honor a kid's commitment with an even greater institutional commitment in return.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard