Next Thread
Print Thread
#150347 05/22/11 05:38 AM
J
bench
OP Offline
bench
J
There was only one championship team from the city of Columbia and the best our local papaer could do was copy an article from Charleston. Meanwhile, Irmo chokes a game away and they had multiple articles before the game and then more articles after their 'fine' showing. what gives?

throw in
throw in
I totally agree. I was surprised by the lack of interest from "the State" for "the State" champions. They should be sued for plagiarism. CN stopped a dynasty and they can't get an original column from their hometown paper. That is exactly why I refuse to buy the paper. The headline for the Sunday paper that day read "A Club Ahead of it's Time; 18 classic courses in SC." Really?! Thanks...but no thanks.

G
kick off
kick off
G
It's the economy, guys. Newspapers all over the country are cutting staff and sharing stories. The State has one full-time high school sports reporter. She was at the state track meet that day. Another reporter who doesn't usually cover high school sports was at the state high school tennis championships. Although those stories on Cardinal Newman's boys and girls soccer championships were written by somebody from the Charleston newspaper, they didn't appear to have an anti-Cardinal Newman bias.

J
bench
OP Offline
bench
J
getout, you are kidding right. they had time and money in this tight economy to run 4 articles about IRMO including a full front page spread about them losing.

G
kick off
kick off
G
How can I make this any more clear? When there are two reporters and a dozen possible games/events, they have to pick and choose. If they know somebody from the Charleston newspaper is going to be somewhere and they can use that article, they go somewhere else.
When there are just two games/events involving local teams, it's a whole lot easier to decide who to cover.
The day of the Cardinal Newman soccer championships and the days before them, there were dozens of possible story lines in local high school sports. Too many to possibly cover them all. But most of the other soccer teams, baseball teams and softball teams lost that weekend, the team version of tennis ended (with two local teams in the finals) and track ended (with dozens of local kids in the state finals).
All that was left heading into last weekend was the Irmo and Gilbert boys soccer teams. The State ran two stories on each in advance of the games and one game story on each. As a high school soccer fan, I appreciated that. I thought it was interesting that one of the Gilbert stories made the A-section front instead of an Irmo story. Often, newspapers go for the story that impacts the most folks, and there are a whole lot more Irmo fans and graduates (and haters) than Gilbert fans and graduates.
Congratulations to Cardinal Newman, and maybe you won't consider The State quite so shameful when it runs the commemorative state championship pages in its Neighbors section.
(By the way, I agree the golf course stories shouldn't be knocking state championship game stories off the sports section front. But I'm a soccer fan, not a golfer. There's probably somebody out there who loves those stories.)

W
goal
goal
W
Well how about the give props to the GREAT coverage the Columbia Star gave CN and HS soccer ALL SEASON LONG!

Mike Maddock certainly did a fine job with The Star this spring.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Yep. Weekly papers are picking up coverage where dailies are slacking. And as someone who spent some time as a weekly sports writer decades ago, I know they can do a great job.
But the Columbia Star doesn't do much good for us Lexington fans, other than the nice story on the victory over CN (sorry coach, couldn't help myself).

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Unless the state is running a front page special on Hammond, no SCISA school at least will get an article in the State newspaper

Link Copied to Clipboard