Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
Looking at the teams going to Regional Camp from SC, I see a discrepancy in the size of the teams across the different ages for the boys.
98 - shows 2 separate teams totalling about 37-40 players.
97 - shows 1 team totalling about 18 players.
96 - shows 1 team totalling about 35 players.
95 & 94 - each shows 1 team totalling about 18 players

The girls side doesn't seem to have this issue.

So questions I have.

1.Is the regional camp's goal to be an identification tool for the most elite players to be placed in the regional pool or is the main goal to expose as many of the younger ages as possible to regional level training?

2.Why isn't there a consistent size model for the lower ages? i.e why are 98 and 96 carrying two teams but 97 is only carrying one team? Who decides how big each year's pool is going to be.

3.For the lower ages, what is the value in taking 40 players to a regional camp? Shouldn't we be sending the top 18 of that age group?

B
brace
brace
B
If I may say, this is the first year of a "new" approach to ODP, suggested (at least somewhat) by vague, general dissatisfaction with the old model. Perhaps some patience is required before program-wide consistency is achieved.

My thought would be that "younger" teams/pools should be larger, to encourage participation and to avoid "missing" anyone. Each subsequent year, the inevitable fallout and "survival of the fittest" should lead to smaller and smaller groups, until we're left with a single team of 16-18 players.

I offer this observation as a "former" ODP parent, whose impression was that the "old" ODP was wildly -- maybe even constructively -- mismanaged. Although that MAY have been limited to the age-group I observed first-hand. Take it for what it's worth.

S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
Quote:

If I may say, this is the first year of a "new" approach to ODP, suggested (at least somewhat) by vague, general dissatisfaction with the old model. Perhaps some patience is required before program-wide consistency is achieved.

My thought would be that "younger" teams/pools should be larger, to encourage participation and to avoid "missing" anyone. Each subsequent year, the inevitable fallout and "survival of the fittest" should lead to smaller and smaller groups, until we're left with a single team of 16-18 players. ..

Well and good if this is the "new model". Let the net be cast wide and the pools be large at the young ages. I fully understand the thinking here. If this is indeed the new approach, then why not apply it to all the the young ages and to both boys and girls?

It appears that the new model is being applied selectively to the boys 98 and 96 teams but not to the boys 97 and not to the girls 98, 97 or 96 teams.

Secondarily, I still think that even if you have a large pool, that you would still select a first team to go to the regional camp rather than take 40 players...

B
brace
brace
B
Can't disagree with anything you said. Would point out that the size of the roster is at least someone contingent on the number of kids trying out. But certainly, you'd like to see consistency of (gradually diminishing) rosters across ages and genders.

D
throw in
throw in
D
The 96 boys have always taken two teams. Not sure why? The boys will be separated into two teams closer to regional camp. At least this is what was done in the past. The #2 team has always done well at Alabama finishing 1-1-1 one year and 2-1-0 the next year playing teams from FL, NC, and ST, to name a few. Several of the better players are not doing ODP this year (Epps, Khouri, ...), so I only imagine the talent pool is even a closer bunch this year.

I think they should be consistent also with 2 teams early on and go to 1 team by 3rd or 4th year, especially given that Academy will filter players off ODP starting at U15. As mentioned above, sometimes the numbers and/or quality of players coming out at a certain age just do not allow for two teams.

Link Copied to Clipboard