Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
world cup
world cup
J
Quote:

Also note--Reyna doesn't say coaches don't give instructions while the players are on the field.

Completely agree, that's why I quoted the relevant section of the article in my last post.

Quote:

As for sitting down no matter what, I remember a few years ago I was coaching a club match in Columbia; we were up 3-0, and the opposing coach was taking the approach of sitting down and not having any input into the game despite her team's struggle to hold the line.

Some of my players subbing off the field came over and very pointedly asked me, "Exactly what is she getting paid to do right now?"

You won't find me arguing with absolutes. Joystick vs Complete Silence - no thanks! However, I think far too often players (but especially parents) have unrealistic expectations about what a coach CAN do and should do during the game. Soccer is very different from most other major sports in North America in that the coach has minimal control during games and should be treated as such.

It's also a common obstacle (perhaps human nature) that progress is not assessed on a continuum. Coaches feel pressure to fix things NOW. This, I think, is why it is more likely that you will see coaches that stand, yell instructions, pace a little bit with their hands on their hips, yell a little more, sit down for a moment, get up, yell, pace, yell, etc... even at the highest levels. If player development is your priority, this can't happen.

Quote:

If a coach really wants to know what players expect, resent, appreciate, or stress over, I'd say listen to the players--every player, every season, and don't assume all of them have the same ideas about what works and doesn't work for them.

Agreed. I'd also say setting clear expectations for players/parents at the beginning of the season is another huge factor, "You won't see me yelling 24/7, and this is why..."

Last edited by Jack Rozier; 11/26/11 06:58 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Very good analysis; I think you've hit on some of the major challenges of coaching youth soccer.

I totally agree...soccer success should be judged on a continuum, and I feel lucky to have had many parents who can see progress over the course a season (and even multiple seasons). It's not reasonable to try to "fix" things instantly in the game, because as you rightly said, the coach doesn't (and shouldn't) have the kind of in-game control as in many other sports. We don't call plays, we don't have time-outs, we prepare our players as best we can before a game, we support them as best we can during the game, and we plan how we can further prepare them between now and the next game. If we're really doing it right, we're working toward making them into better players and a better team in the long haul, not just trying to win in the moment. In the game is not the time to "fix" things that haven't been addressed in practice; that causes confusion and frustration.

I agree on setting the expectations and ground rules early; helping parents and players to understand from the start what you're doing, how you plan to do it, and why you plan to do it that way can help to avoid the misunderstandings when the coaching they're seeing (or often NOT seeing) doesn't always match what they're used to seeing in other sports.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard