Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Disturbing piece on BigSoccer.com about the NCAA possibly eliminating spring soccer competitions. Read here

Goal
Goal
Meanwhile, most schools have locker rooms full of basketball and football players who can’t spell “cat” if you spot them the C and the A. No word on what’s being done to boost their academic performance, although I’m betting that hookers and coke will be involved.

I do believe Lisa is not too crazy about this

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
Goal
Goal
I stopped reading after this sentence: Purportedly, they feel that those sports are causing serious academic harm to their players,

No reason to read something that stupid after that

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Quote:

I stopped reading after this sentence: Purportedly, they feel that those sports are causing serious academic harm to their players,

No reason to read something that stupid after that

Completely agree, the NCAA is being completely inconsistent in the application of the "rules," which surprises no one. At my college the women's and men's soccer teams, along with the golf and tennis teams were always lauded for their high academic performance. I moved to Florence and see that the FMU soccer players, men and women, have a high performance also.

The NCAA as an organization has one cash cow, the NCAA men's basketball tournament. It will not do anything to detract from it and that includes coming down on the worst performing academic programs, which, traditionally, have been football and men's basketball.

L
throw in
throw in
L
The NCAA is not only being inconsistent but absurd as well. I can't imagine why this topic would even come up for discussion in whatever NCAA meeting produced it. I can only speak for my daughter and her teammates but I know they are doing very well in school with several making Dean's Lists as well as All-SEC Academics honors, etc with most of these girls in majors such as Logistics, Kinesiology, Biology, Animal Sciences, Nursing, Engineering, Communications, Business, etc, i.e. legitimate degrees. I am pretty sure I could not say this same thing for most football programs.
I suspect the Women's AD's and coaches from the big schools will put the kybosh on this pretty quick. I hope so.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Someone at NCAA has too much time on his/her hands. Cross Country? I think Spring Cross Country training at most schools is known as being a member of the Track team. Which begs the question, if participation in off-season non-competitive training is detrimental to academic performance then what of participation in in-season competitive training for multiple sports?

NCAA already has positive support for academic performance in place... if performance in the classroom isn't maintained at a certain level, the player is declared academically ineligible to play. This proposed change appears to be based more on academic finances than academic performance.

Link Copied to Clipboard