Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Having watched several hundred matches over the past 7 years. I have one question. How do we let people who do not have a clue ref in a state championship tourney? Or U18 matches? Or Challenge Matches?

Suggestion...
Could we not let the coaches rate every ref every match... roll those up, into a master number for that ref. Then give the ones with the highest rating the older kids, the state championship matches, and the center. Give the bumbs the sides, the smaller kids (less danger, not less importance).

SCYS has said they trust the coaches to decide who plays challenge, versus classic. Why not let the coaching base do the same with the refs. Some how we need a simple system to put the best person in the most important spots. They also get paid more for doing a good job.

Things I have seen in state tourneys...
1. Columbia ref, did a center for us a few years ago... she never left the center circle. Except to wave off an offsides and give the other team a chance at a drop ball in front of our goal.

2. Ref allows things to get out of control... girls trips a player twice, then steps on her from behind, while she is in a bad situation. NO call.

During league play...

1. Lexington county coach calling a lexington county match, to decide who was number one in league. Worst ref every. Parents sent 6 letters to SCYS, no action.

2. U18 challenge boys match, player does a full on body shot, against another boy... no card, nothing. Right in front of side ref, in view of everyone. Letters to SCYS, no action.

Bless those of you who do a good job. I wish something like this could go into affect,... gives you props for doing a good job, and a few more bucks for doing so. No cost to anyone, except those who do not do a good job.

Sam O, SCYS, hope somebody out there pays attention. Quality refs will improve our game. The distribution of talents needs to be better utilized.

Brace
Brace
I am working on web site now to allow registered users rate refs. Information will be available but don't if right parties will take action on results. Any inputs that anyone could add how to organize or structure would be welcomed.

S
throw in
throw in
S
I agre that there is a huge disconnect in officiating and have seen things or lack thereof by refs that make me concerned for our sport. That being said, I do wonder how we as coaches, leagues, parents and players can help foster an enviroment where more people are willing/wanting to become a part of the beautiful game. Being the guy on the pitch, in the moment is at best, a difficult position, throw in us coaches (we always see it correctly right?), parents who are very zealous and players out for bragging rights, you have a train wreak waiting to happen in any given game. Who wants to be the one in front of bus when it does? I am appreciative of those that are willing to be out there for the players, even though I know they have only 2 eyes and are trying to find a balance between the flow of the game and player's safety-
Yes, I have times where I absolutely and totally dissagree with a call/noncall but I also tell my players that we have to play within the construct of the game we are given.
But, we do need some more accountability for our officiating community- our state system does need some attention but we also need more investment from the community in general.

N
Throw In
Throw In
N
know a ref who introduces himself to the parents before each game, then politely asks if anyone can explain the law for offsides?

usually has very well run and very polite and quiet games......

S
goal
goal
S
maybe its the same guy i'm thinking of, he also comes over at halftime & asks for questions about rules etc..
so he starts the game showing everyone he's human & establishes a rapour, especially with the loudmouths, then he follows up & reinforces it at halftime.
he seems to have the parents under control.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I think the problem with an optional rating system is that everyone will complain when they don't like the ref but little is said when they do a good job.

Link Copied to Clipboard