Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
brace
brace
B
Somewhat true. But then again, when dealing with potentially life-changing brain injuries, shouldn't we err on the side of caution?

C
Cav Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
C
Any studies on how much help the padded headbands such as Full90 help? I would not be opposed to my team wearing them.

Score is Silver, Art is Gold!
Goal
Goal
How many times would you have to head the ball? What is the speed of the ball in descent or traveling toward the head on a lateral line? Are the players heading it properly?

All these things play a part in the "damage" that could be inflicted.

C
Coach
Coach
C
What would be the airspeed of a coconut dropped on the head of a player by a flying sparrow?

An African sparrow, or European?

What? I don't know that! AAAAHHHHH!

I've got good news and bad news...
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
I am calling for a ban on all pillow fighting until we can mandate that all participating individuals wear protective head gear!

... or lets just make it mandatory that all humans are bubble wrapped 24 hours a day!

Game on!

B
brace
brace
B
There are several issues here.
1) Is head-to-soccer ball contact truly high-risk behavior?
2) Is the act of leading with one's head (and making contact with heads, posts, knees, boots, etc.) actually the greater risk?
3) Are most Club/Academy/High School venues equipped and staffed to evaluate potential concussion cases?
4) How do we "clear" injured players to return SAFELY?

Goal
Goal
Quote:

What would be the airspeed of a coconut dropped on the head of a player by a flying sparrow?

I can see you are not approaching this from a scientific standpoint. it's okay.

BTW...that would depend on the height of the tree

B
brace
brace
B
The altitude of the sparrow.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Not to discount the study, but my son has had three concussions on the soccer field, and he wasn't heading the ball on any of them. (If you must know: Falling Courver goal to the head, collision with his own keeper's shoulder, and ball accidentally kicked across the field off the back of his head while he got a drink of water on the sideline during practice.)
Did heading the ball at other times make him more susceptible to concussions? I don't know, but I think all three blows would have caused a head injury for almost anyone.
If a soccer player makes it all the way through high school without a concussion, he or she is either lucky ... or hasn't been properly diagnosed.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

I can see you are not approaching this from a scientific standpoint. it's okay.

BTW...that would depend on the height of the tree

That's as scientific as Monty Python gets...the argument just sounded a bit familiar. BTW, would that be the tree that the flying sparrow is in?

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard