Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Keeping Stats - Training Ground

As a coach, you may want to ask one of your parents or your assistant coaches to keep stats for you during the game. This way, you can keep track of how many shots or goals you got off against a particular team, how different players are faring in different positions, and how your goalkeeper matches up to the opposing goalkeeper. Keeping stats in a soccer game is not too difficult-- the main place you have to keep your eye focused and your mind ready is at the goal, when players are taking shots and goalkeepers are making saves.

A good idea is to have a clipboard, and a sheet with a diagram of a blank soccer field as well as an area for notes. Your stat keeper should have a stopwatch, and should start the watch with the start of each half.

As the game progresses, the stat keeper should note all shots, all goals, all assists, all saves by the goalkeeper, and all defensive blocks. Mark on the field diagram where the shot took place from the field. Mark the shot with an open circle if the shot did not result in a goal, and mark it with an x if it did result in a goal. Then, write down in the notes area the time and name of the player who took the shot.

Another idea is to write the number of the player who took the shot on the field diagram instead of marking open circles or x's. When the goalkeeper makes saves, write down the time in the notes area, followed by "GK Save," or whatever helps you remember. You may or may not choose to keep track of stats for the opposing team as well as your own-- this can get complicated. Another good idea is to record times and types of fouls, including the result (direct kick, indirect kick, etc.).

Keep in mind the following definitions of shots, goals, assists, and saves:

Goals: An attacking player that touches the ball into the goal is credited with a goal.

Shots: A shot is an attempt that is taken with the intent of scoring and directed toward the goal. A cross, crossing pass, or long pass is not a shot. The intent of a cross or long pass is to set up an attacking opportunity, not to score.

Assist: An assist is credited to a pass leading directly to a goal. No more than two (2) assists can be credited to any one scoring play. If a scoring play consists of two consecutive passes without a defender touching the ball in between, two assists may be credited. No assist is awarded if a player gains control from the opposing team and scores, if it is on a penalty-kick goal, or if it is on an "own goal". A deflected or rebound shot, whether off the post or crossbar or not, is not considered an assist.

Save: A goalkeeper is awarded a save when he or she prevents a shot from entering the goal. A goalkeeper who intercepts a cross or long pass is not credited with a save.

Shutout: Shutouts are awarded to goalkeepers who have not been scored upon for the entire game. If two or more goalkeepers participate in a contest where no goals are allowed, do not credit a goalkeeper with a shutout. Goalkeepers on the same team can "split" shootouts, if they play at least one half of the game.

Extra Time: Goals and saves occurring in shootouts after overtime play are not recorded in statistics.

world cup
world cup
I've never been a big fan of the "double-assist". In the past 12 years we have never awarded more than one assist on a goal scored, regardless of the circumstances.

I see that the EPL is now tracking assists, is it an official statistic? Do they award more than one assist on a goal over there?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
L
throw in
throw in
L
Just another thought. I kept stats in high school and for club for several years and enjoyed every minute. It really helped me learn the game. I read the NCAA Soccer Statistician Manual every year and tried to keep the same stats as they did plus extra player stats like time played (just had a form where every time a player went in or came out I just logged the clock time, could do the math later), shots high and wide, not just on goal, weather and field conditions, fouls and penalties by player, etc. It is amazing what a little statistical evaluation can show. For club I even had a field map to record runs as lines on the map and shot position. Once you build a bit of data like that you can often see what player combinations work best in what circumstances. If you can get a copy of a D1 or FIFA stats book or even a televised match stats tracking sheet it helps in what can be tracked. Makes it more fun. Maybe one more thought. Make sure you have a partner, preferably another parent or two, especially in high school, to help you and keep the angry parents at bay. Stats done right won't lie and sometimes the best player on the field is not the most obvious player.

Goal
Goal
Thanks for the definitions. Those are always helpful. Although, the shots definition is too general. I could care less if someone gets 70 shots off and the score is 0-0 with one keeper save. That shouldn't be an accomplishment, it should be an embarrassment. I'm more concerned with shots on goal as opposed to just shots.

world cup
world cup
One of the most valuable statistics in evaluating player performance has not even been discussed yet in this forum. Percent of passes completed (+/-) is essential in measuring the success of your midfielders. I realize this number can be skewed if an individual is consistently playing backward, with relatively little pressure.

You don't want a point guard in basketball that turns the ball over 16 times a game!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
brace
brace
B
Regarding the second assist ...
The reality is, the initial pass SETTING UP the final pass, is often the more telling pass. As in the great long ball into space that sets up a cross. Or the great holding play, that results in a quick combination.
Regarding completion percentage (and ultimately time of possession), I agree wholeheartedly as to their importance.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

One of the most valuable statistics in evaluating player performance has not even been discussed yet in this forum. Percent of passes completed (+/-) is essential in measuring the success of your midfielders. I realize this number can be skewed if an individual is consistently playing backward, with relatively little pressure.

You don't want a point guard in basketball that turns the ball over 16 times a game!

I'm glad you brought this point up. I know of a coach that had the parents keep stats on giveaways and the coach got them at halftime, told the players, and they were shocked.

Brace
Brace
And don't forget the great tennis stat, unforced errors!

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
As far as stat keeping, is using the stat keeping book the best option? Or has someone created their own sheet that they'd be willing to share?

Coach Sharpless Blue Ridge High School
goal
goal
Email me I'll send one.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard