Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
TSO Offline
kick off
kick off
T
Quote:

Why not let the schools pick which level they want to participate in? This method seems to work at the club level between Classic and Challenge. If you feel you can compete in the top bracket then you choose the top bracket.

This wouldn't work for high school. In club there is an incentive to pick the higher level. You attract better players. Make more money. In high school everyone would be too afraid to compete with Wando and Irmo's talent pools. I think most schools would rather try to win 3a state then play where they belong.

C
kick off
kick off
C
You make a good point, in that schools may be afraid to step up to a higher level for fear of loosing. I would propose schools declare their division at the beginning of the season, not just for playoffs. However, I also believe this issue is tied to player development at the high school level. I believe it is better for the players to play competitive games even if they are on the loosing end of a 1-0, 2-1 game rather then winning 6-1 or 8-0. If the coach is in it for the players they would choose the most competitive level for their team.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Promotion/relegation has been discussed a number of times...problem is, it would have to be done separately for each individual sport, which makes things much more complex than anyone is prepared to deal with at this time...it would be fantastic if comparable teams could be matched together so that almost every game is both winnable and challenging, but it would take a total revamping of the regions system to accomplish it.

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
Quote:

I think most schools would rather try to win 3a state then play where they belong.

That is exacty what happened a few years back when some 4A sized schools choose to stay in 3A rather than move up to 4A Funny thing was, there were some 3A sized schools who decided to play in 4A so I guess the logic in not fool proof!

Hey and while we are fixing the playoffs can we get a large school 4A and smaller 4a playoff like the other football?

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
With being in an 8 team conference before, I've seen some strange things happen when it comes to seeding for the play-offs. I recall one instance where 3 teams were tied for 2nd place. It literally came down to a coin toss to determine the full order. Imagine having your seed determined by the flip of a coin?! With this being said, I would think that if there were a tie in seeding (especially a tie for 4th place), that would make that team an instant at-large instead of a 'play in' game? Or stranger yet, imagine a ranked team getting bumped out of AQ status after the tie-breaker scenario's. So perhaps a ranked team that did not AQ would be an instant at-large instead of a 'play in' as well?

With AQ's the play-off system will always be flawed. We all recognize regions that are strong soccer (or any other sport) regions and others that are weak. There are often teams that AQ which, truthfully, don't deserve post-season play. Then there are teams that do deserve to be there but didn't make the cut because they play in a strong region. I don't foresee an easy fix to the playoff system, however the one presented makes the most sense and seems to be equitable to all.

Coach Sharpless Blue Ridge High School
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard