Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Hobo Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
I have seen some very questionable calls and penalties lately. How often do you think refs make a knowingly wrong call?? I really did not think this really happened even when I complained about a call. I just really deep inside just assumed the refs just was making a bad call. But the other night a pk was called on a team who was winning by a large number. When a PK was called at the end of the game. When the coached asked what the call was they were told that there was not really a fowl but the ref just felt sorry for the team and "wanted to make their day". Now this blew me away. The goalie was devastated, because she wants to protect the shut out. Now what is your response to this and how often does this happen in other games that might be more close?

That there is an RV Clark......
S
goal
goal
S
its obamas new goal re-distribution program.

world cup
world cup
SEE

Safety
Equality
Enjoyment

That's all any referee cares about when he or she is officiating a match. Any reasonable referee does not care who wins the match. The team that scores the most goals will win the match.

The Laws of the Game must be upheld. There's no wiggle room for sympathy. A foul is a foul. Offside is offside. No matter how sympathetic (human nature) a referee may be, watching a team getting treated like cones in a 14-0 loss, the referee must remain impartial (this is the balance between EQUALITY and ENJOYMENT).

If "goals against" is a region tie-breaker, a team could lose a region title (and a more favorable seed in the state play-offs) if a referee were to allow a questionable goal to a team on the wrong end of a lopsided match.

But hey........we're all human.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
brace
brace
B
There are 2 issues here:
1) Competence.
2) Accountability.
The first is far less relevant in the absence of the other.

F
Throw In
Throw In
F
This referee sounds like another advocate for “Everyone gets a Trophy.” If what he/she stated to the coach was accurate concerning the foul, they should never be allowed to officiate another game. I believe we all understand that calls are going to go both ways, and be missed, etc, but to make up a call because you feel sorry for the other team…Very, Very Sad

B
brace
brace
B
When the local assigner tells you a certain official "probably shouldn't be working high-level boys' games," and you see the same guy a few weeks later working another high-level boys' game ...
Where's the accountability?

Goal
Goal
How about a ref calling a "foul" for a team running a trick play. I've seen that one before. Coach asked what it was for and he said, "That's unsportsmanlike."

B
brace
brace
B
Good referees police themselves. They know when it's time to get out, or turn back tough assignments.
Poor referees don't know, or worse, don't care.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

When the local assigner tells you a certain official "probably shouldn't be working high-level boys' games," and you see the same guy a few weeks later working another high-level boys' game ...
Where's the accountability?

Accountability....or Availability?

Sounds like we have a "scarcity of resources"...aka....a referee shortage. What are you doing in the Low Country to combat this problem? We're being proactive up here in the Rock Hill area. We just sponsored a Grade 9 USSF course in Tega Cay a couple of weeks ago and certified about 30 new referees.

So, you can continue to whine and slam.......or you can be part of the solution.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Brace
Brace
Hurst, agree but let's not stop there. How about on going training, especially on the pitch, not all classroom. How more and consistent assessments? I quit reffing after having double hip replacement and couldn't keep up with varsity boys any longer, thus, couldn't earn my pay or do the game justice. How many refs do you feel would fail a basic physical test? Why aren't physical tests given at every level, especially HS? Hopefully the parents and coaches don't ruin that new crop of refs you have started and hopefully a support development system can be put in place.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard