Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Goal
Goal
Quote:

We should cut and paste this thread every year... same junk, same thinking, same issues, every year.

Yep, you're right. Saw a JV game yesterday where a terrible no-call on offsides led to the game-winning goal with seven minutes left of a tied match. Every year, bad officials.

Victory Starts Here!
C
bench
bench
C
Rule Question: Free kicks: If 10 yards is not asked by the player taking the free kick and the ref does not tell the player to back up 10 yards, can a player receive a yellow card for encroachment?

B
brace
brace
B
The fact that the same issues surface every year tells you there is an ongoing problem. And it ain't just parental perception.

A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Quote:

Rule Question: Free kicks: If 10 yards is not asked by the player taking the free kick and the ref does not tell the player to back up 10 yards, can a player receive a yellow card for encroachment?

Absolutely, in fact when I do a game, the first time that happens I book the player, and I never have a problem after that. Being said, you must use some common sense, if a player is 7-8 yards from the ball and only needs to walk back a few steps that is ok. However a player by now should know that 1-5 yards away is not 10, especially if they are on a marked football field!

Players at all levels (NCAA, FIFA and high school) are REQUIRED to give 10 yards, if they fail to do so, whether it is asked for or not, they can be booked.

C
bench
bench
C
I don't care what you do - arrgy - what does the rule say. Does the rule say they are required or is that is what is expected? Why would it be ok if the player only needed to take a few steps? Because that is OK with you?

hat-trick
hat-trick
The rules require that the defenders allow 10 yards 360 degrees around the ball. There is a difference between purposely standing 2 feet from the ball to prevent a quick restart and trying to get 10 yards away but missjudgeing by a couple of yards. I agree with arrgy, when I was refereeing, I cautioned players who stepped within two or three yards of the ball in a blatant attempt to prevent a quick restart which the attacking team has the right to take.

I
goal
goal
I
I love the one, when the team that does the fouling, moves the ball (kicks it from the point of the foul) to get the same... time. To me this should always get a caution, but rarely is.

We had an opponent kick the ball into our bench, while wasting time prior to our throw in... Nothing done. She dropped it and launched it into our players... no joke. Her dad said from the stands she did not mean to kick it so hard, he must be a mind reader.

We had a "lady" from the other team shoot the bird to some boys in the crowd, right in front of the ref while he was carding her. Nothing done.

We had a very important region match, have a no call. Our player shoots, the keeper grabs it, their defender then knocks our girl down in the box. No foul... I guess there are different rules when in the box, and at the end of a game. I always thought a foul was a foul, no matter where it happens.

I am sure there are more, funnier, and sadder ones than these. I get a laugh how so many obvious ones are let alone, while touch or 50/50 challenges are called fouls.

To your point Coach P. how about the kid who walks to the balls then quickly turns slowly walking away (continously moving) setting her wall. Legal or not.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

the parents are more the problem than bad refs
stop bashing and encourage your player to give it their all and rise above bad calls

this, its sports & you have to live with bad/missed calls in every sport. refs don't get up in the morning wanting to make a bad call. for every fan that agrees with a call, theres a fan across the field that doesn't, go figure.
regarding the quick kick, some experienced refs will overlook the 10yd rule because that restart player decided his team had advantage with the quick kick.

A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Quote:

I don't care what you do - arrgy - what does the rule say. Does the rule say they are required or is that is what is expected? Why would it be ok if the player only needed to take a few steps? Because that is OK with you?

Considering I, as the referee, am the one running the game..yes. As I said before there is a difference between a player who is 1-5 yards from the ball and one who is 7-9 yards from the ball. If I were to book every player who was in the 7-9 range, I would never get the game finished. Did you ever wonder why that mark off the field from the corner arcs were placed there? Because players and officials could not tell 10 yards from the arc.

There is something in the rule/law books that MOST people don't know about, its called trifiling. Referees are required to refrain from trifiling the game, meaning if a player is 7 yards from the ball, carding that player would serve no interest.

Experienced referees, and not inexperienced and clueless parents and coaches don't understand that cards are used for a purpose, and a referee has to ask themself what am I going to get for this card? If I were to card the player who is 7 yards away I will get nothing but grief and complaints for the rest of the match, and I would have accomplished nothing when all I could have done was tell the player to take 2 steps back.

Stop trying to micromanage a game, and allow the players to play and the referees to officiate.

A
Throw In
Throw In
A
Quote:

Quote:

the parents are more the problem than bad refs
stop bashing and encourage your player to give it their all and rise above bad calls

this, its sports & you have to live with bad/missed calls in every sport. refs don't get up in the morning wanting to make a bad call. for every fan that agrees with a call, theres a fan across the field that doesn't, go figure.
regarding the quick kick, some experienced refs will overlook the 10yd rule because that restart player decided his team had advantage with the quick kick.

Again.... no a foul is not always a foul wherever it happens. The question you SHOULD ask is was the same apparent foul called or ignored earlier in the match. What a fan, a coach, or a player thinks is a foul does not matter, it is what the referee believes is a foul.

Next time you are at a match don't judge what the referee calls based on what you think the foul is, judge if what he called in the first minute was the same as what he called in the 40th or 80th minute. Baseball players know that the first inning is for catchers and pitchers to determine what the umpire's strike zone is. Every umpire has a different zone, and as long as its consistant in that game the players don't mind.

There are plenty of times when I will call or not call something in a game and tell the players that I called it 10 minutes ago, or you did the same thing that your opponent did. The best is when players think something should be called and I tell them that I didn't call it 5 minutes ago so I am not going to call it now. Experienced players will understand this and adjust. Fans and coaches are clueless and have no concept of what is going on or what is being said, they just react to what they see and most of the time they are not sure of what they just saw.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard