Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#155902 04/11/12 02:42 AM
eMnAvA Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I am wondering besides the game being played at a faster pace and at times being more physical, can someone give me some inside views on what the advantages and disadvantages are of coaching boys and the advantages and disadvantages are of coaching girls. I have the opportunity to coach a girls and boys team, but I am not really sure which one would be a better choice.

eMnAvA #155903 04/11/12 10:46 AM
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
drama

S
throw in
throw in
S
Guys-you have a good idea which team is going to show up for your match

Girls- you just never know.....

F
throw in
throw in
F
Boys- practice more on own time. Will be better soccer players for it. Will take on players and go for personal glory. Think everyone else is playing bad, not them. probably watch and imitate more soccer players and therefore will probably be able to accept and execute higher tactical plans. Will compete at all times

Girls- better team players, will share the ball to a fault. Believe in team above self. Can install quality passing game due to this nature. Will have to be encouraged to take players on. Will be more social at practice/training. Most will not practice alot away from scheduled training. Will take criticism personally and do not want to be singled out on a group. Can be a joy to coach due to their "our team" focus

C
Cav Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
C
Anson Dorance of UNC women's fame coached men before coaching the women at UNC.
He said, "With guys, you constantly have to knock them off their pedestal. With girls, you constantly have to build them up."

Long time ago, I went from coaching JV boys to coaching Varsity girls. The practice before our first game for the girls, I was trying to fire them up and give some instruction. I looked down and they were picking grass and talking to each other. I went into a typical coaches tirade, kicked a box, threw a clipboard kinda of stuff. I looked down again to see they were all crying. I knew right then I needed to handle girls in a different manner than how I handled the boys.

Having said all that, as I coach 10 and 11 yr old boys now, I notice they still need the positive feedback that most coaches are so weak in giving. All kids need a pat on the back.

Score is Silver, Art is Gold!
Cav #155907 04/11/12 07:45 PM
L
kick off
kick off
L
Having done both...

Girls social to a fault, will not want to be singled out, may not take criticism very well, will do exactly what you tell them (to firsttouch point), will have cliques and can be nasty to each other because someone didn't like what they were wearing that day and.... believe it or not... may be nastier on the field with opponent and you will not be able to see it (as easily as you see it with boys)

Boys will most of the time not listen to what you say ( which in many cases ends up being a good thing during the game), will exert peer pressure, will most likely not care about situations outside the game, may need to "ride" them more, can be momma's boys

I actually had girls tell me they did not want to score because they did not want to bring attention to themselves...I had boys shoot from impossible angles simply because they were going to do it no matter what instead of passing.

Girls internalize everything and are affected by what you say and how you say it

Boys will listen for 5 mins then forget everything you said

Lexcoach #155908 04/12/12 04:46 PM
eMnAvA Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I've been able to observe both and its a tough decision to make. Either way, there is a good bit of work ahead, but the better question I guess I have to ask myself is do I take a chance on boys who have some interesting pieces (Strikers & a GK) or girls (few midfielders & defenders)

eMnAvA #155909 04/13/12 03:01 PM
C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
it really depends on the age of the boys versus girls. I think all these above ideas are accurate, but there is significant differences depending on the ages you coach.
What ages do you have the possibility of coaching?

coachb #155910 04/13/12 03:35 PM
C
Cav Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
C
Coach girls, boys smell bad.

Score is Silver, Art is Gold!
eMnAvA #155911 04/13/12 06:28 PM
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
You win with defense and a good keeper is only as good as his back line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard