Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 28 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 27 28
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Finally, unrelated to recruiting, if a player is driven to become the best player they can be, then leagues like the ECNL are very important as well.

So as has been stated, ECNL isn't for everyone. But if a girl wants options outside of a small radius of where she lives, if she wants to maximize those options both in and outside of that radius, or if she is simply so driven that she wants to reach her maximum soccer potential, then ECNL is a very logical choice.

I would say even if they want options inside the state or tri-state area, they need to take advantage of several different options available. If my daughter only played CESA/Premier/ECNL she would not likely had the level of offers to play in college. She learned good defensive skills, teamwork and conditioning with CESA/ECNL. She actually improved her dribbling, shooting, one on one in highschool as well as got the feel of a team with different ages and changing year after year - similar to college. She learned her attacking from the back and different formations initially from a coach at ODP and was exposed to several different college coaches. She became a better player by being in several different soccer environments. ECNL did provide exposure and offers outside the state - NE, midwest, SE but the interesting point when she played in the snow at an ECNL event, she made her decision that she wanted to stay in the SE. Prior to that she was thinking about the NE. We are happy because it means we can catch most of her games. She might not have made that decision if she hadn't experienced playing in the different areas of the country. In the end, I hope the leagues don't get mutually exclusive because there are different benefits to all of them in maximizing a players ability. One path ECNL, In-State league, ODP, or high school does not offer all the benefits, nor will it likely be able to in the future. Then you get into the time and money which I think is Bombers main complaint/issue. That really becomes a personal decision of where/what you want to invest in. Some investments pay off, some don't. Some players get athletic scholarships and/or opportunities to go to a college they may not have been able to get in to without soccer and it was considered a good investment. Some don't and if it wasn't a pleasant experience, then it probably seems like it was a waste of money. I would encourage any player that really loves the game to try and get involved in as many different soccer environments they can but careful not to start too early because it can burn a young player out. Its not for everyone.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

To have to travel across the country to play "the best competition", when most of the players end up playing college within 2-3 states, and really most in their state, it is ridiculous.

This statement really does not make sense to me. What does playing the best competition have to do with staying close to home to play soccer. Just becuase a child, parent, or coach wants to test their skills against the best in the country does not mean they have to go to school far away. Mayby if they didn't play the best teams they would not even get the opportunity to play college anywhere. Again if you don't like playing on a traveling team don't. And nobody will mind. But don't "diss" other people for chosing to do so. Hell I complain every time I fill up my Tundra up, getting 14 miles to the gallon. But I still drive it.

That there is an RV Clark......
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

If that was the point gbdawgs was making, I'm confused why players who where playing in ECNL when they committed was referenced? Not exactly a logical way to make that point???

The 1st '92 CESA player to commit (GW) that moved to TCSC with commitment in hand never played ECNL or R3PLE, she played State league entire club career. The '92 CESA player playing at USC Upstate never played ECNL or R3PLE, she played State league entire club career. (Different thread, but not getting the opportunity to play in those leagues even as guest at an ECNL event may have something to do with why they left for senior year. You'd have to ask them.)

Seems there may be a misperception out there needing clarification. Saying a girl is playing select level soccer at CESA does not necessarily mean the girl is playing in ECNL or Premier leagues.

Quote:

Bomber and gbdawgs - While I agree that you don't need to play ECNL to get options, it's a question of the number of options and where those options are located. ECNL can allow a girl to maximize her options.

That's why I mentioned maybe moving out of the backyard.

Quote:

... then leagues like ECNL are very important.

I think "like" is operative and goes to the heart of the debate here. Some propose/agree that Premier league + major tournaments with regards to exposure and level of competition is "like" ECNL. Some do not agree. Those who agree begin comparing costs.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Look on the bright side, Hobo. At least you're not having to fill up that there RV.
(I spent more as much on gas and hotel this past Fall following 2 college teams as I did following 2 R3PLE/ECNL club teams.)

D
Goal
Goal
D
scwame... I wish I could be that concise. Pretty much sums it all up.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
I believe only 18 can be rostered in a game, with seven substotitions allowed. I also think that at U14 and U15 a substituted player can't come back in the half, but can return in the second half. Once substituted in the second half, they can't come back for the rest of the game.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

I believe only 18 can be rostered in a game, with seven substotitions allowed. I also think that at U14 and U15 a substituted player can't come back in the half, but can return in the second half. Once substituted in the second half, they can't come back for the rest of the game.

From what i was told that may be going to change this year. Once you are subbed for your day will be done. Cant re enter.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

Quote:

From what i was told that may be going to change this year. Once you are subbed for your day will be done. Cant re enter.

I hope that doesn't happen at the younger ages. I don't see it being changed for the older players, but I do hope to see it stay the same for younger ones.

H
brace
brace
H

MT4ME im not sure if ecnl is doing it for all ages or not. I assume they would.

H
goal
goal
H
There's a logical fallacy afoot in this thread (in the nature of cum hoc, ergo propter hoc). The assertion that kids (boys or girls) who play at the highest level (and travel extensively to do so) and end up playing college in-state or in the SE could have done so without the high level club play is not a logical conclusion. The colleges they attend recruit nationally. To say that they would necessarily have been recruited anyway simply isn't accurate. Some number of them - maybe. The majority - highly doubtful.

Page 8 of 28 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard