Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 28 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 27 28
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

Interesting. All that extra money for national exposure and the majority are not going any farther than they would from playing on a local level. I don't think my daughter is missing out on anything (my personal opinion).

The post that started it all. 8 pages, some 80 posts, will it ever end???

B
brace
brace
B
Not as long as parents are more concerned with "exposure" than every other positive aspect of the club soccer experience.'

world cup
world cup
Anybody know the name of the first soccer parent who went to their club DOC and said "My daughter needs more. The Region Premier League and three tournaments a year at CASL, Disney and the Surf Cup are not enough."?

Was it somebody from Vardar? Pennsylvania Strikers? Dallas Texans? Concorde Fire?

Wouldn't you like to get that father in a room and have a "closed-door conversation" with him?

I'm not going to blame CESA for starting the fire. They got caught up in the arms race.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
N
Throw In
Throw In
N
i think the ecnl is a great thing. i think anything that gets a young man or woman the opportunity to be recognized for their hard work and accomplishments is a good thing. but do you really, really believe that the "best" sc has to offer will truly represented at each age level?

K
bench
bench
K
If that were to occur, would not ECNL have to invite participants by team and not by club?

I believe CESA had a team in ECNL that lost 6-0 in their State Cup. Obviously not even the best team in their state, but representing their club in ECNL play.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Soccer mom attacks 6 people during soccer game in Sweden. Fighting went on after the game and several people arrested . She was upset at a foul called on a relative.I didn't know ECNL traveled that far.

M
kick off
kick off
M
It's all about choices. Each family has the right to decide what they want to do. I think having choices is wonderful after all this is America. It's each family's resources, time and energy. No one is forcing them to do anytime but don't be mad if someone else decides to so something else for their child. Can people really be that petty that they would not want ECNL, Academy or whatever else that is available because they don't want to do it or think it cost too much. That's your decision which is totally ok but let other people make theirs without you trying to diminish it.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
My apologies to Bomber …

I believe a very important point has been ignored.

The fact that we have choices is great and I am happy it makes everyone warm and fuzzy. But it is the process that results in your 'choice' is what many have failed to acknowledge ...

In other words, did Club XYZ decide to compete in League ABC for the benefit of your child, or was it a marketing ploy to one up the club next door? How many times is League ABC used by Club XYZ to recruit a parent, um sorry, a player?

There is nothing warm and fuzzy about a coach's ego!

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
I don't believe for a minute that joining ECNL was a marketing ploy for CESA. They saw what could be the future of girl's elite soccer and took a leap of faith. They got in at the beginning, and ECNL has changed, in my opinion for the better, each year. The conference play resembles the Premier League, although many of the top ranked teams from any age group are from ECNL clubs and aren't participating in the PL any longer. While that may be seen as a negative, I actually see it as a positive for good teams that would not have previously qualified to play at the level of the Premier League, but now have a spot in the PL. So, ECNL is actually creating opportunities for girls on other teams as well

There are probably about 100 families (players from this year) in SC that know the current reality of ECNL. Because this was the first year for conference play, I would say those that have the best read on ECNL are those that had players on a team this year (although the teams did play ECNL and Premier League, so this year is different than future years where, it's my understanding, that the teams will play only in the ECNL league. However, don't hold me to this since I haven't heard for sure one way or the other). If you think that ECNL is something you would like to know more about, talk to a family that has experienced the league. Let them tell you the positives and the negatives.

ECNL is changing women's soccer. It is more and more becoming the league where the top clubs are playing (that's just reality. Of course, there are good clubs that aren't playing ECNL, but most of the top clubs are in the league). Because the league is club-based and not team-based, there is often a team or two within most ECNL clubs that is struggling. But, don't use those teams to define the league. Over time those teams could well improve because of the consistent high level of competition, and because the teams will attract players who want to play at this level. Remember, this is the first year of conference play, so judging the league based on prior years won't give you a real picture of the ECNL today.

As you can tell, I like ECNL, and my child likes it. It is a good fit for her at this time. Things could change, and if she decides that she no longer wants to play soccer at this level, she won't try out for the ECNL team. I am not a brainwashed parent who is simply drinking the Kool-aid, I have seen it with my own eyes. I don't think it is for every player, and may not even be for a very good player. It takes commitment and sacrifice to be on an ECNL (and a Premier League) team. They will miss school football games, dances and time with their friends. But, that's likely true with any club traveling team, regardless the sport.

So, if you and your child are thinking about trying out for ECNL, talk to those parents who actually have players who played this year. Or, call CESA and talk with one of the ECNL coaches. Don't form your opinion based information from a forum. Certainly, some of those providing information have played ECNL, but perhaps they played that first year, and didn't like the experience. Others making comments may have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. They don't like ECNL because it is a change, not because they really know much about the league or have any personal experience with it. It is a league that has evolved, and will continue to evolve. So, if you are thinking about trying your daughter out for ECNL, give yourself and your child the benefit of getting the information you need to make an informed decision that is in your child's best interest.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Article on ECNL. Lot's of good information about much of what has been talked about in this thread.

http://www.potomacsoccerwire.com/news/458/20591

Page 9 of 28 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard