Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 28 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 27 28
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Harry the 16's played 20 games in the ecnl B league. That was alot more games than most teams in the league.They still have one remaining. It is a points per game format for where a team places. You take away a few of those extra games and cesa 16's do not finish that high up in the league.
If i read the league right the 20 games listed that gives them the 10 spot does not include games against the A bracket teams.Win ,loose or draw.
The teams they played in the B bracket avg a 19th finish.
The teams they beat in the B bracket avg a 22nd finish.

I'll double check your math there. But in the meantime, to your point of being a huge difference between A and B bracket, can you comment on the results of the games between the 'B' bracket CESA teams when the played the 'A' bracket teams? Do ties and 1 goal losses support your case of the huge difference between the brackets?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Yes, I checked your math, and of the 6 games against 'A' bracket teams, the 16s had 3 losses and 3 draws. Which, again, doesn't seem to support a great difference in the A and B which is what I thought your point was.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
"Maybe, but realistically from the player perspective of a 3-4 week break from soccer that just isn't the case. Then again maybe they're getting a 3-4 week break away from the fields between HS season and the June lineup of ECNL and Southern Regional events."

I'm confused, are you saying that no soccer in July wouldn't count as a 3-4 week break? For once, I'm not trying to be a smartxxx, you just lost me.

"If as you say the level of competition isn't what it used to be at the open major tournaments like PDA, Disney, CASL, JCup (hard to believe you would consider quality down with all those ECNL teams entered)"

I would only say that competition is down in the brackets where they are letting in clubs' second teams and admitting 15 teams from Florida in an age group and 16 teams from Virginia in an age group. We can argue about a lot of things, but surely you can agree with me that you'd be disappointed if you went down to Disney or up to Richmond with hopes of playing in some 'major' event and you got paired up with the 16th best team in Virginia.

And in all seriousness, I'm glad you enjoyed the travel. I've always said that when we are old and grey we should hope to look back at the time spent in cars, hotels, etc. with our children watching them do what they love and see it as time and money well spent.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Well, I wouldn't be disappointed in the pairing with the 16th team from VA if we lost. I'd figure the tournament paired me in a bracket that provided all the competition I could handle. If I blew out the teams in that bracket I might be a bit disappointed but probably no more than a top of A bracket ECNL team would be getting paired with 3 bottom half of B bracket ECNL teams in an ECNL event. Either way however, if the primary reason for attending the tournament was exposure to all the coaches that attend those tournaments I might still think the trip was worth it. As some of the college coaches I was talking to at PDA said, they really don't care who wins those games. They weren't there evaluating teams to recruit, they were evaluating individual players to recruit.

As for July, ECNL moving its championship to June avoiding the previous conflicts with ODP Region camps and I'm back in Montevallo for training and evaluation with the college coaches.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
But then we're back to the question of how many kids in SC see the value of ODP and region camp. I know your daughters did, but not everybody agress.

And I think you're trying to kid us if you want us to believe that you wouldn't be disappointed if you went to a 'major' tournament to paly weak teams. I also know that there is a difference in the number of college coaches watching games between two high quality teams and the number of coaches watching a game that doesn't feature two high quality teams.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Yes, I checked your math, and of the 6 games against 'A' bracket teams, the 16s had 3 losses and 3 draws. Which, again, doesn't seem to support a great difference in the A and B which is what I thought your point was.

Tied Charlotte which finished 28 out of 30 teams in the A bracket.
Loss and tied Casl which finished 22 out of 30.
Had a loss to Atlanta which finished 10th and you had a very nice draw with Atlanta.
The only other A team you played was Michigan which is a great team but it was 5-0.

There is a gap. Maybe not from the bottom teams of A but there is a gap.

N
Throw In
Throw In
N
any new program has gaps. cesa is just starting out in the ecnl, and will have to build a program that consistently delivers quality "a" level teams. it would be interesting though to see how the top teams in sc would do in ecnl competition.

and i believe that someone said in the thread, coaches don't go to see teams, they go to see players. so if a top level player is on a low level team, that player will get seen in the ecnl.

B
brace
brace
B
Actually, coaches "go" for lots of reasons.
1) To see players, certainly.
2) To see specific teams they know are well-trained/coached (and therefore may have players).
3) To see player/prospect match-ups, should they occur, as an evaluation tool.
4) To follow up on players who have inquired about their programs.
5) To be visible to club coaches, players, parents.
6) To interact with fellow coaches. (Coaches are often the biggest gossips you'll ever know.)
Etc.
All this said, most coaches already know who the "players" are. Sure, they'd like to discover a diamond or two out there, but most scouting is more due diligence than the type of prospect-mining parents perceive it to be.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

Tied Charlotte which finished 28 out of 30 teams in the A bracket.
Loss and tied Casl which finished 22 out of 30.
Had a loss to Atlanta which finished 10th and you had a very nice draw with Atlanta.
The only other A team you played was Michigan which is a great team but it was 5-0.

There is a gap. Maybe not from the bottom teams of A but there is a gap.

That was a 5-0 loss to Michigan

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Ahhh such wisdom.

"“It makes me laugh to think about the old men sitting on their computers all day with no life talking about other teams without seeing us play,” Drennan said."

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2011/jun/20/hannas-chelsea-drennan-independent-mail-girls-socc/

Page 15 of 28 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard