Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
I think I know the answer to this.....but am not positive. Is there a state rule that addresses the issue of kids playing more than 1 sport in the same season? Can kids play mutiple school sports within the same season?

I know we've had issues in the past with winter sport athletes not being able to participate in soccer until their season is done. Wasn't sure if that was state or school related.

Goal
Goal
Many ADs make a rule that the next season starts for an athlete when the previous one ends. IOW, you are not playing another sport until you finish the one that you are currently rostered for. Usually, in smaller schools, this seems to be more of an issue.

C
Brace
Brace
C
I had a kid play soccer and run track , we have a girl who played softball and is going to the state meet next week for track,it all depends on the coaches and the AD.

D
throw in
throw in
D
Same at the HS my kids play. We had several young men who played AAU basketball and were also very good soccer players. Soccer coach would not allow players to tryout until basketball season was over. Too bad. None of the players played hoops ever again. High School League and District Office confirmed that no such rule exists on the state or our district level. It was the AD and the individual coaches.
Also have seen High School Football coach turn terrific kickers away because they play club ball and cannot attend every team practice. Not just kicking practice or special teams but they had to be at all practices. All I can say, Coach, way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Can't speak for other schools, but at a school of our size, we are advocates of multi-sports athletes--and to go even further, we've had several soccer student-athletes participate in other Spring Sports:

(SR) Alex Bueno - Track, (SO) Ishaan Vasudeva - Golf, (FR) Davis Bland - Baseball, (8th) Walker Comer - Track, (8th) Woodson Bagnal - Tennis, (7th) Will Pertile - Lacrosse

While I'm certainly not naive enough to believe that this can work for every school/program, our program philosophy has been that if an athlete is willing to work as hard as he/she can in multiple avenues, we'll certainly work to provide as many opportunities as we can.

Link Copied to Clipboard