Page 2 of 2 1 2
docelgin #157163 05/09/12 03:06 PM
P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
Crazy 1st round Results.

Two Co-region Champs got beat (Hammond & Pinewood)
Both 4th place region teams advance (Heathwood / and Hilton Head Christian)
Heathwood Hall gets a home game against CN because of issues surrounding CN's forfeits and their revised 0-8 record.

And a great win by Hilton Head Christian over Hammond - they took Pinewood to PKs and played Porter close with a 4-3 loss a few weeks ago. Could be the sleeper!

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Thanks to docelgin and pantherfan for posting updates. It seems most SCISA coaches and fans/parents in the Midlands are indifferent and do not post here or bother to call in results to the newspaper. Not like it used to be when my daughters played.
And yes pantherfan, this whole playoff is crazy.

P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
No problem I love to keep up to date on SCICA - My daughter played a few years ago for Pinewood and I have another one coming up through JV, so I will continue to provide updates.

Despite the fact that SCISA does not have the depth of the public school league - it still has great boys and girls soccer and some truly outstanding players. However, I think many SCISA fans and supports got tied of the negative commentary on the board and have gone elsewhere - although it seems better this year!?

And besides I love all soccer - I'm just as happy watching my 7 year old's games as a Man U game!

P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
Update from the Hilton Head Paper:

GIRLS SOCCER
Hilton Head Christian 3, Hammond 2: Audrey Bensch and Nicole Sicilia staked the Eagles to a 2-0 lead, Hannah Reynolds scored the eventual game-winner in the 72nd minute and fourth-seeded Hilton Head Christian notched a SCISAA Class 3-A playoff upset despite playing the final 20 minutes a player down, following a red card for a hand ball in the box.

Bensch opened the scoring for the Eagles in the 25th minute, with Sicilia picking up the assist. Sicilia made it 2-0, converting a header on a corner kick 10 minutes later.

Caroline Besley cut Hammond's deficit in half before Reynolds restored the Eagles' two-goal advantage. Bensch notched the assist.

Emily Bakhaus got top-seeded Hammond to within one with a goal in the 76th minute, but Hilton Head Christian goalkeeper Ashley Donaldson shut the door the rest of the way. Donaldson finished with three saves, including a key stop on a penalty kick in the second half.

"It was an outstanding effort," second-year Eagles coach Ben Gerdts said. "We're happy to be in the semifinals."

Hilton Head Christian, which had 10 shots to Hammond's five, will play at Porter-Gaud at 5 p.m. Thursday in the SCISAA Class 3-A semifinals. The state championship will be at 4:30 p.m. Saturday in Columbia.

D
bench
bench
D
CN v HH
HHC v PG

Is the home team the favorite in both games?? Shocked that both Number one seeds (Hammond & Pinewood ) did not advance.....my prediction is a PG v CN final on Saturday afternoon....any thoughts?

docelgin #157168 05/10/12 11:59 AM
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
You should be correct on the PG v CN final. However, Heathwood should not be ruled out. The coach will have them ready.
Saturday's game might come down to who can play better on a large pitch.

D
bench
bench
D
CN 3
HH 0
HH had plenty of opportunities early.....CN opportunistic goals in first half

docelgin #157170 05/13/12 10:41 AM
D
bench
bench
D
SCISA AAA Championship

CN2
PG0

Solid game by both teams.....PG had opportunities early....PG struggled to contain S. Cobb in second half....game over after second goal. Congrats to the CN girls. Two SCISA Championships in a row.

docelgin #157171 05/14/12 03:17 AM
P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
http://www.thestate.com/2012/05/13/2274292/gracious-in-victory-reborn-cards.html

Cardinal Newman’s 2012 girls soccer record will go on the books at 4-20.
But the Cardinals still are the reigning SCISA power after clinching their second straight Class 3A championship with a 2-0 win against Porter-Gaud on Saturday at Stone Stadium.
Cardinal Newman was informed late in the regular season that — unknowingly — it had been using an ineligible player and would have to forfeit all of its wins.

Given the situation, Cardinal Newman needed a helping hand to qualify for postseason play.
The aid came from Augusta Christian, which finished in fourth place ahead of the Cardinals in region play after the two forfeit wins were factored in. But the Lions graciously declined the playoff invitation, opening up the final spot in the bracket for the Cardinals.
“It was a classy thing for Augusta Christian to do,” Cardinal Newman athletics director Jeff DiBattisto said.
Given the reprieve, the Cardinals played like champions in the playoffs — posting three straight shutout victories.
“We’ve been really motivated to win a second championship all season, but the way things came down late in the season made winning it again even sweeter than the first one,” said sophomore Ashley Brown, who scored one goal in each of the three playoff wins.
Brown’s goal broke the ice in the 29th minute — a header of a deftly lofted pass into the box from the left side by Catherine Onate.
Senior Sophie Cobb put it away with a score in the 57th minute — a shot from 12 yards out on the right side that slipped through the arms of Porter-Gaud keeper Annie Hay at the near post.
“Once we were sure we were going to be in the playoffs, I was confident that we would do well,” first-year Cardinals coach Kathleen Pollard said. “This is a talented team with a lot of soccer experience. In the playoffs, it comes down to converting your scoring chances, and we did it enough in these three games.”
Porter-Gaud’s best chances came early in the first half, but the Cyclones — who made it to the finals for the first time in 10 years — had two shots hit iron.
Helen McCullough beat Cardinal Newman keeper Molly Rainwater in the 16th minute, but the shot harmlessly bounced off the right post. Four minutes later, Tahirih Nesmith was in perfect position to head in a corner kick, but the shot skipped over the cross bar.

P
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
P
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120513/PC20/120519622/1035

COLUMBIA — Porter-Gaud’s quest for a girls soccer championship came up just short on Saturday as Cardinal Newman repeated as SCISA AAA state champion with a 2-0 victory at Stone Stadium.

Cardinal Newman scored once in each half en route to the victory while Porter-Gaud narrowly missed several early scoring chances.

Porter-Gaud’s season ends with a 20-4 record in Daniel Jordan’s first season as coach.

“Maybe if we score one of those early goals, things end up different, but credit Cardinal Newman for getting the job done,” said Jordan. “I thought the teams were pretty evenly matched and until that second goal went in, it was up for grabs. Getting down by two made it really tough.”

Porter-Gaud had several early scoring opportunities in the first 25 minutes but came up empty. Gracie Mogul’s shot 15 minutes into the match hit the post and bounced away, and five minutes later Tahirih Nesmith’s header on a corner kick hit the cross bar.

Later in the half, Alexis Ball got off a clear shot but Cardinal Newman’s all-state keeper Molly Rainwater hauled it in.

Cardinal Newman took a 1-0 lead at the half on a header from Ashley Brown with 11:37 left in the period.

The clinching goal came with 12:58 left in the match when Cardinal Newman’s Sophie Cobb beat keeper Annie Hay from 10 yards out for a 2-0 advantage.

“I thought the size of the field, which is a lot wider than we’re used to, hurt us some but both teams had to play on it,” said Jordan.

Porter-Gaud won a state title in 2002 but was making its first appearance in a title game since that win. The program suffered through several losing seasons and first-round playoff exits but Jordan feels more extended playoff appearances are in the offing for his program.

“We lose one senior starter and have a huge crop of underclassmen coming back so we should be very competitive next year.” said the coach. “We were trying to win this one today for sure but we’ll start over next year and try to win that one. I was lucky to come here into a situation where there were some good players. I expected us to do well but I admit I am pleasantly surprised with how it all turned out.

“We’re a little disappointed right now but I think tomorrow they will realize the kind of season they had and be very proud. It’s always tough to get this far and come up a little short.”

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard