Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
K
Region Coach of the Year - Ryan Morris - FM
Region Player of the Year - Ellen Bright - NF

FM - Jessica Tooley, Megan Polito, Hayley Hatherly, Maya Bostic, Julia Van Buskirk
NF - Ellen Bright, Emma Schearer, Gracie Pendarvis, Gabby Mace
SP - Kira Davis, Bailey Oliver, Cameron Davis
Y - Lena Patrick, Stephanie Root
C - Samantha Langley, Sierra Boyette

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 05/08/12 05:12 PM.
F
throw in
throw in
F
Wow...let me get this straight- the leading scorer in points, goals and assists for Fort Mill (by double the next player) and maybe the region leader (I don't have those stats) is not All Region? Nice...

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Wow...let me get this straight- the leading scorer in points, goals and assists for Fort Mill (by double the next player) and maybe the region leader (I don't have those stats) is not All Region? Nice...

I think you have a legitimate case......

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
bench
bench
F
What do you expect, they can't even spell players name right. The correct spelling for one player listed as Hali Htherly is Hayley Hatherly.

As for goals, one player doesn't do it by herself, and it is not the first time very deserving players have been left off of this list by a coach.

F
throw in
throw in
F
I agree that there should not be spelling/name errors. The young ladies deserve better.

You are correct that goals are often a team effort. The player referenced also leads in assists. As far as it not being the first time, I do not think there is another example of a player putting up these kind of numbers- probably the region leader in points- that is left off the all region list.

Brace
Brace
Somewhat agree as some coaches taint the process by selecting seniors and/or favorites vs. those deserving the recognition. We must keep in mind at times there are other factors, i.e. attitude, approach, etc. that a coach may be taking into consideration.

Look at some of the all-state nominations, if some of those teams really have that many players worthy, they should be a lock for the state title as we will see or have seen already, some will fall out pretty early in the game. What about the coaches that didn't even nominate deserving players at all?

F
bench
bench
F
I beg to differ, but goals are always a team effort. The player you mention, it is her job to score goals as that is her position, how does that make her a all region player. Your logic would rule out the player of the year who allowed more goals that did Fort Mills keeper who is not mentioned. If this is purely stats driven then make it that way, what should be done to reward the selfless players who make things happen in the midfield and the back, but who's efforts doesn't show up in any stats?

F
throw in
throw in
F
Stats- points, goals and assists are how offensive players are measured in soccer. It is performance on the field and by definition should warrant All Region -period. Anything else reaks of different agendas. Defensive players are judged on their abiility to stop opponents and contribute to the attack- also has a statistical component-goals scored against. As far as the player of the year, don't know how that decision was reached

K
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
K
In defense of this post, I am only the messenger who hosted the region meeting. The names were submitted by their coaches exactly as you see them (I still have the email). The reasoning for an individual making or not making the All Region Team is know only by their coach.

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
Congrats to all. Ellen is very deserving of POY, she is a game changer in goal. I didn't see the second game as the boys played the same day, but she kept NAFO in it the first game. Score could have been worse.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard