Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
brace
brace
Quote:

It's important due to the TV ratings and all the money ESPN throws at SC High School soccer. They prefer to have the higher seeds from the larger markets play as many games as possible.

Especially in the SC Super Soccer Bowl on May 18.

Too right mate!!!!

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
S
Throw In
Throw In
S
What confuses me is how the seedings pair up with the #5 seed. For example, how does it make sense that Hanna (a 1 seed) plays Mann (a 4 seed) when the game they're paired with is Clover (a 2 seed) and Easley (a 5 seed). You would think a 5 seed would always have to play the 1 seeds. Makes no sense to have a 1 seed play a higher seeded team than a 2 seed.

Brace
Brace
Put them in hat(s) and just draw! As stated by someone earlier, you have to play them eventually and a W keeps you moving forward. It is what it is and each year is different. A coach has a whole season (and more if done right) to get their players ready and everyone starts 0-0 with only one team ending the season with a W.

S
goal
goal
S
don't get the lassez-faire of seeding, makes no sense.
it clearly benefits the lesser teams with the current system, which i guess is somes ulterior motive?
glad you posters don't run the ncaa tourny....whatever.

W
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
W
Oh man-u. you're right.i know nothing about your conference, Silly me for just going by stats and records. That means nothing I guess. I'll look back over the last twenty years and see when a 5th seed beat a 1 seed. And yall are right. In the end two good teams will meet in the finals and a good team will be the champion. At least now coaches know that regular season performance means nothing. Just rest your players till playoffs and avoid injury. Just win enough to make the playoffs than load up when it starts.

B
brace
brace
B
To me, if you have the time and inclination to run a tournament, you should have the time (and system) to seed it properly. Then again, we are talking SCHSL.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
I understand the concern about how we would go about seeding the tournament but understand why we got where we are. We used to pick 4 from every region across the state but there are a couple of regions where soccer isn't strong enough to put 4 teams in the tournament so now we have regions with 5 teams in. That causes problems because before it was simply that a region paired with another region but that won't work with uneven representation so we have what we have now with #5 teams playing #2 teams.

Another recent change is that we used to rotate the region you were paired with and that helped keep everybody happy but now we have permanent region matchups for only one reason....travel costs. So we in Region 1 are forever linked with the strongest region in the state. Ask Michael Young what it was like being the #1 seed having to play outstanding region 2 teams in the first round. Seriously if we had seeded it back then he might have been seeded BEHIND some of those 4 seeds, but I digress.

What an open seeding system does is allow the conversation of who deserves what seeding and makes an attempt to pair things equitably. If this is such a horrible idea then why does the NCAA and high school football do it that way?

C
Cav Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
C
Remember that these numbers that we see attached to each school name is NOT a seeding. It is the place they finished in their region. I agree there are "no.1" that should be seeded lower. But it is the system we have. Would the Hsl ever change it?

Score is Silver, Art is Gold!
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...What an open seeding system does is allow the conversation of who deserves what seeding and makes an attempt to pair things equitably. If this is such a horrible idea then why does the NCAA and high school football do it that way?

A/AA high school soccer does it too.

D
Goal
Goal
D
NCAA D1, not D2.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard