Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

We have several friends on the Clover team. Having said that....honestly, I don't have any emotional investment in the outcome of the game.

I absolutely empathize with a group of kids who lose that way. Didn't mean to make a "crap" comment. Just saying that having been up here last night...not sure what else the refs could have done. No anticipated break in weather. More of the same today. Thursday is round 2.

No real option. The Byrnes kids weren't cheated, they just got dealt a bad hand.

In NC......the boys and girls play in opposite seasons. They also don't set a specific date for the game. They set a specific date that the game has to be completed by. Their playoffs.....last a little longer than those in SC. I think if we had NC rules the schools would have a little more flexibility in playing the game. Probably would have played Monday.

Don't mean to quote myself....but didn't FOrt Mill do this Monday night? Girls and boys ended up playing the same school, so they put the game on Monday.

Weather forecast has been crystal clear that Tuesday/Wednesday were going to be washouts.....could the other schools have pulled their games into Monday?

L
Goal
Goal
L
having a playoff game called with 20 minutes left to play and only down 1-0 is what i would call being cheated.........they were cheated out of finishing the game..........what else can it be called? fair? i don't think so. do whatever it takes to get the full game in including ot. what would they do if it was tied? flip a coin? if Wando, Fort Mill, Irmo, BC, NW were down 1-0 there is no way the game would have been called complete.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Ok, so what were the options?

We had 2-3" of rain yesterday....much of it during gametime. Also lots of lightning. Today.....is a repeat of yesterday.

There is another game on Thursday.

I agree it sucks.....but what else would you do? At midnight....pull the boys back out on the field and play 17 minutes? Isnt' the referee charged with player safety? If the referee says conditions are unsafe what do you want?

I go back to......Sat/Sun, why didn't the powers that be pull the Tuesday games forward to Monday. Play a doubleheader with the girls. Monday was fine...everyone knew Tues/Wed were going to suck weather wise.

It sucks.....but cheating implies someone got an unfair advantage. Don't see how anyone could infer that. They did get 60+ minutes in.

C
throw in
throw in
C
If I'm not mistaken a World Series Baseball game could be called after 4.5 innings if the rains come and it becomes unplayable at the stadium (after hours of waiting). If the score is 1-0 it's an official game. I believe even the Master's and other major golf tournaments can end after 54 holes vice 72 if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I agree it's unfortunate for the players to not be able to play all 80 minutes, but no one was cheated. Concur with Big Daddy, there is no way to infer an unfair advantage. It was raining for both teams.

B
brace
brace
B
The rules are the rules. I don't infer an unfair advantage. I do, however, advocate "play on," except for lightning. Where it becomes a bit problematic is in the event of a tie score. The argument can be made that, if you have to wait out -- or replay -- that situation, you should have to play the final 20 in this one.

G
GWS Offline OP
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
G
I am not saying that Clover had an unfair advantage I am just saying that they should have done everything theye could have to resume including making plans for today. Give it a shot and hope the weather cooperates.

I agree that scheduling of the playoffs being so tight is an issue and I mentioned that in my orginal post. I also agree that had this been an Irmo, Northwestern, Wando etc. that they would not have just said you got 60 mins, you should have made the most of it, sorry. If Irmo travels to Greenwood and is down 1-0 with 20 mins to play can you imagine the uprisng is Irmo was put on the bus and told hey you had your crack, 60 mins is all you get.

Ccscoach, you are mistaken. No world series games has EVER been shortened by weather. You are also wrong about the Masters, every golfer WILL complete 72 holes. Not sure what othere major golf tournaments you are talking about but that seems like a pretty flawed argument

GWS #157763 05/09/12 08:18 PM
B
brace
brace
B
I disagree with the comment about the bigger schools. Who knows, we might see this happen tomorrow night, given the current weather in Chucktown.

R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
The officials can not declare a game complete. They suspended the game and at that point it is in the SCHSL's hands as to call it a complete game or reschedule the completion. A game can be declared complete by the SCHSL as long as 1/2 has been completed.

Last edited by Realist; 05/09/12 11:31 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Simple fact...there is nothing in the rules to support a continuation of the game at a later time if a half has been completed. It's unfortunate for the team that is down a goal, but the rule is that if the game is called due to unplayable conditions PRIOR TO the half, it will be resumed at the point of interruption. After the half, the game is considered complete.

There have been plenty of games that could have gone either way that have been decided early by weather. I've been in a few, on both sides. Again, it's unfortunate that it happened in the playoffs when it's win or go home, but how is that so different than if it happens in a region game that determines whether you get there in the first place, or who you have to face?

Again, an unfortunate circumstance for the team who is trying to equalize, but the rules are very clear. It's not a matter of how close the playoff matches are scheduled together, or transportation, or inconvenience. Scheduling the last 20 minutes at a later time would have been a violation of the rules and procedures every SCHSL team plays under, and would have given the benefitting team an unfair advantage over every other team that has had a close match shortened by the same rule.

I've got good news and bad news...
G
GWS Offline OP
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
G
I am not doubting you, but where could I find said rule. I would like to read just out of curiosity and to educate myself on the rule.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard