Next Thread
Print Thread
#158151 05/15/12 05:34 PM
S
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
S
As the high school careers end for the Class of 2012 I wanted to pass along a post I copied from a NC soccer message board several years ago that I felt brought this whole "soccer as part of life experience" into perspective.

Best of Luck Class of 2012 on the next chapter of your life - Godspeed.

The Day Has Come For It All To End (It's Been A Good Ride)

My son’s soccer career is now down to fewer team practices than the fingers of one hand - with his last three club games ever in an upcoming tournament - he's U18 and this is the end of the ride. The practices haven't impacted me much the last couple of years, ever since he got his license and began driving himself, so I long ago got past the mixed feelings of relief vs. regret. Immense relief from the burden of being his regular soccer practice chauffeur versus regret from missing the camaraderie with other parents observing the practices and chatting with each other. I'll love having control of my soccer-season weekends back for possibly taking beach trips instead, but I'll miss terribly the games and tournament weekends, at least for awhile.

He's played soccer ever since he was 4 years old and I coached him for a while in a few of those early age groups - so I've followed with interest not just my own kid, but quite a few others as we've gone along, often getting to be friends with the parents. So I feel like what's about to pass on isn't just my connection with club soccer through my son and his current team, but it's as if a segment of my own extended family is about to pass into history and scatter.

It's hard to remember way back when all our kids wanted and still could imagine having a shot to play for a major college, and just a wee bit we could indulge ourselves in that fantasy too. But as that slowly dissipated somewhere as we went along, the realization also sunk in that only a small minority of players were going to get substantial college soccer scholarships, if any at all, especially at a school of one's preference. Odd thing - the more it sunk in that for most kids, club ball is just a very committed high-caliber form of soccer to be done for its own sake - the more I realized the journey's the thing - the more my son and I too relaxed and enjoyed it. Too many people, players and parents alike, are slow to gain sight of that important fact.

We have been very fortunate to have had good people coaching my son who I always felt confident trusting him with - who positively supported his growth. Even the times when I may not have totally agreed with the coach's approach to some things, overall the important thing was that for the most part, the coach and the other members of the teams he's been on were positive, healthy influences on him - I never had to seriously fear there was anyone among them who might lead him astray. We have been lucky to be surrounded by good people whom I felt fortunate having my son hang out with during the soccer experience.

I can get past much of the cynical focus on winning (not what's good for your kid, the team or the club) that sometimes rears its ugly head in soccer. I can also admit that in the heat of battle I too have been caught up in this cynical focus on winning probably far too often. I can even get past the politics that go alongside it. I guess I long ago made peace with my and my kid's place in the soccer-ecosystem.

I'm also willing to admit something. There is one primary, selfish reason that I'm so glad my son enjoys playing this game.

Yeah sure there’s the stereotypical - that it's healthy exercise; the competition; the relationships or that he makes me proud reasons

But when all is said and done - I just truly enjoyed watching him play.

It's been good, but I (and my son) am READY to enjoy this last rodeo, and then let it all go in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy the ride those of you with younger players - IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT'S THE THING, NOT THE DESTINATION. All too soon that day will arrive for you and your kid too that it's over - finished. Relax and enjoy the ride and the people you ride along with while it lasts, you and your kid.

soccer63 #158152 05/15/12 05:44 PM
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

As the high school careers end for the Class of 2012 I wanted to pass along a post I copied from a NC soccer message board several years ago that I felt brought this whole "soccer as part of life experience" into perspective.

Best of Luck Class of 2012 on the next chapter of your life - Godspeed.

The Day Has Come For It All To End (It's Been A Good Ride)

My son’s soccer career is now down to fewer team practices than the fingers of one hand - with his last three club games ever in an upcoming tournament - he's U18 and this is the end of the ride. The practices haven't impacted me much the last couple of years, ever since he got his license and began driving himself, so I long ago got past the mixed feelings of relief vs. regret. Immense relief from the burden of being his regular soccer practice chauffeur versus regret from missing the camaraderie with other parents observing the practices and chatting with each other. I'll love having control of my soccer-season weekends back for possibly taking beach trips instead, but I'll miss terribly the games and tournament weekends, at least for awhile.

He's played soccer ever since he was 4 years old and I coached him for a while in a few of those early age groups - so I've followed with interest not just my own kid, but quite a few others as we've gone along, often getting to be friends with the parents. So I feel like what's about to pass on isn't just my connection with club soccer through my son and his current team, but it's as if a segment of my own extended family is about to pass into history and scatter.

It's hard to remember way back when all our kids wanted and still could imagine having a shot to play for a major college, and just a wee bit we could indulge ourselves in that fantasy too. But as that slowly dissipated somewhere as we went along, the realization also sunk in that only a small minority of players were going to get substantial college soccer scholarships, if any at all, especially at a school of one's preference. Odd thing - the more it sunk in that for most kids, club ball is just a very committed high-caliber form of soccer to be done for its own sake - the more I realized the journey's the thing - the more my son and I too relaxed and enjoyed it. Too many people, players and parents alike, are slow to gain sight of that important fact.

We have been very fortunate to have had good people coaching my son who I always felt confident trusting him with - who positively supported his growth. Even the times when I may not have totally agreed with the coach's approach to some things, overall the important thing was that for the most part, the coach and the other members of the teams he's been on were positive, healthy influences on him - I never had to seriously fear there was anyone among them who might lead him astray. We have been lucky to be surrounded by good people whom I felt fortunate having my son hang out with during the soccer experience.

I can get past much of the cynical focus on winning (not what's good for your kid, the team or the club) that sometimes rears its ugly head in soccer. I can also admit that in the heat of battle I too have been caught up in this cynical focus on winning probably far too often. I can even get past the politics that go alongside it. I guess I long ago made peace with my and my kid's place in the soccer-ecosystem.

I'm also willing to admit something. There is one primary, selfish reason that I'm so glad my son enjoys playing this game.

Yeah sure there’s the stereotypical - that it's healthy exercise; the competition; the relationships or that he makes me proud reasons

But when all is said and done - I just truly enjoyed watching him play.

It's been good, but I (and my son) am READY to enjoy this last rodeo, and then let it all go in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy the ride those of you with younger players - IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT'S THE THING, NOT THE DESTINATION. All too soon that day will arrive for you and your kid too that it's over - finished. Relax and enjoy the ride and the people you ride along with while it lasts, you and your kid.

As my son rides off into the sunset it has truly been a joy to be apart of high school soccer in South Carolina. He and I have met some of the most amazing people, that we can both call friends. Good luck to the young men and women that will play for State Championships this weekend, to those who will get to continue to play the game they love and to everyone else that has been apart of South Carolina soccer. It has gone by way too fast!

world cup
world cup
IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT'S THE THING, NOT THE DESTINATION.

Too many people don't realize this until it is too late, and by then they have a bad taste for soccer in their mouth.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #158154 05/16/12 02:28 PM
B
brace
brace
B
It's up to coaches and parents to assure the quality of the journey.

Link Copied to Clipboard