Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
sandman Offline OP
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
i'm sure scheduling is a nightmare, but a home & home game against academic magnet late april & early may would have benefited both schools. do the same with BE, because they'll be back also. try to get the region out of the way asap, except play west ashly late also & look for some other tough ones late. forget about rankings & w/l records.
quality losses help focus the team going forward.
wando looked confused when the other team didn't check out after 20 minutes.

J
bench
bench
J
"But it didn't enhance match fitness for the core, and it effectively created a situation in which Mann scored the game-winner when Wando had a handful of key players off the pitch."

I don't know if you meant it this way, but this sounds like you are placing a lot of blame on the subs. The "key players" didn't have enough time to get the job done? And they couldn't get it done because they weren't fit enough? The Wando bench isn't deep enough to sustain a handful of substitutions?

Perhaps there should have been more subs if match fitness was an issue? More like what Wando reportedly did the rest of the season? With a bench supposedly that big and deep, that's apparently gotten so much playing time all season that "All the mommies and daddies were happy that Nos. 24-32 were getting significant varsity minutes" - why change if it ain't broke?

B
brace
brace
B
The point was, what works during the regular season (against Goose Creek, West ashley, etc.) DOESN'T necessarily work when playing against better teams during the post-season.
I'm sure someone here will point out that it worked in the Palmetto Cup, but THAT was a completely different situation -- 5 games in four days, as opposed to five games in 12 days.
With 20 minutes left in a 1-1 match, with momentum going your way, you don't wholesale substitute a bunch of players for 8-10 minutes, as you did during the regular season. Instead, you rotate one off at a time, over a period of 8-10 minutes, thereby maintaining continuity and momentum.

S
sandman Offline OP
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
maybe the final 4 from each class of the previous season schedule late season matches against each other.
some sort of combination where its class 4a vs 2a vs 3a etc & give some good home games for the fans & quality playoff prep for the teams. call it bracketbuster & play on saturdays if travel time is needed.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

call it bracketbuster & play on saturdays if travel time is needed.

You want to open up Saturday for high school play? I have a better idea. FA Cup-like tournament involving the top 16 4A, top 10 3A and the top 6 2A/1A/SCISA teams. Increasing the number from 32 to 64 would only add another week, so why not expand the field.

Draw the names out of a hat each week, first team selected is the home team. Play the matches on Saturday. Start the second weekend in March and take a week or two off for spring breaks. Single elimination, no seeding.

Pro's - David vs. Goliath, blind draw, competitive matches at the end of the season
Con's - David vs. Goliath, tournament conflicts, "Hilton Head vs. Clover"

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Quote:

call it bracketbuster & play on saturdays if travel time is needed.

You want to open up Saturday for high school play? I have a better idea. FA Cup-like tournament involving the top 16 4A, top 10 3A and the top 6 2A/1A/SCISA teams. Increasing the number from 32 to 64 would only add another week, so why not expand the field.

Draw the names out of a hat each week, first team selected is the home team. Play the matches on Saturday. Start the second weekend in March and take a week or two off for spring breaks. Single elimination, no seeding.

Pro's - David vs. Goliath, blind draw, competitive matches at the end of the season
Con's - David vs. Goliath, tournament conflicts, "Hilton Head vs. Clover"

Hurst, I tried to accomplish this under the current tournament rules but can't exceed ten days, start to finish. Your approach sounds good but one must take into consideration that teams can only play a certain amount of regular season games and how is that going to be controlled under your FA format? I would love to see this but then again did not have a lot of favorable if any response to a similar gameplan over two weekends on neutral, local fields. Let's keep throwing ideas out there and see if we can get one to stick!

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
I doubt if anything will ever change as long as SCHSL has the same leadership.

B
brace
brace
B
True enough. You are asking for a bit of creative thinking and flexibility, and the SCHSL isn't exactly loaded with either. It's all about who butters the bread, and in the SCHSL office, soccer takes a big-time backseat to football, and other sports.

Brace
Brace
One alternative is have team use 3 of their non-region games as pool play then use those results for a two weekend tournament format which would only count as one tournament. Who is game?

world cup
world cup
Quote:

One alternative is have team use 3 of their non-region games as pool play then use those results for a two weekend tournament format which would only count as one tournament. Who is game?

No pool play in my format.....straight knockout.

Could we have used our two region games against Fairfield Central that never materialized toward this cup tournament?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard