Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
world cup
world cup
Quote:

Read my earlier post. I'd favor fewer games across the board. Clip a few from H.S. Clip a few from club/Academy. This was my discussion recently on high school. The side I'm most familiar with played approximately 34 matches and competitive scrimmages in a roughly 90-day period.

Screen,

How many of your kids high school matches were "competitive"? Can you really compare it to the same amount of matches at the most competitive level of club?

The high school season is fine, leave it alone.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
brace
brace
B
That's a fair question. I'd say roughly half. Which doesn't change the fact that a congested schedule reduces training/fitness opportunities, or that kids get just as hurt in non-competitive matches as competitive ones.
Also, while "my kid's" H.S. matches were only occasionally competitive, what about those kids whose H.S. matches are virtually ALWAYS a dogfight? Or whose teams included 18-20 players?
I'm not for a drastic overhaul. How about 2 full scrimmages (essentially non-counting matches), 24 regular-season and max-five state tournament matches? That would imply 26-31 matches, which is more than enough.
In Club/Academy, I'd favor a similar nominal trim.
If by doing this, you reduce the likelihood of a 16-year-old playing 70-80 matches, I'd say you've done something good.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard