Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
Big discussion I have heard and seen. Wanted to start a discussion here. What are your thoughts? Strengths and weaknesses of each?

K
Throw In
Throw In
K
Coach I would say that the effectiveness of either system is going to be based 100% on the players you have and which system would be more suitable

we run things, things nuh run we.....
C
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
C
I totally agree and use that method. Just wanted to see others opinion on the topic.

Goal
Goal
Sweeper/Stopper is a good defense at times. It has a "safety" who can in-a-way sit back, view the field, and jump on anyone who gets past the fullbacks or stopper. The sweeper has be to athletic and be able to read the field very well. He/She HAS to control the FB's & Stop. It's run with a Man/Zone combination at times. I like it, but then again I don't. I like that the strikers get to be marked and don't have any room to breath, but if the ball is played to a corner, then both the fullback & sweeper could be out of the picture leaving the defense hanging.

The flat four has to have a lot of communication. If you have speed then the off-sides trap could possibly be attempted which is good to use (if the officials actually know how to call it). FF covers more space on defense. Sideline-to-Sideline is covered. Through balls are a demon to deal with, but are no worry if the Keeper or CB's are quick. What can make or break the flat are diagonal runs. Good defense and used for AGES.

Questions to answer is how strong is the midfield? Strong midfield then run a Flat Four. If the midfield is weak, the clog it up with a Sweeper/Stopper.

J
bench
bench
J
As with all things in life and soccer, I think the answer depends on your keeper. If you have a strong vocal keeper who communicates well, recieves balls well, and can distribute the ball around then a flat back four is probably a more efficient defense. When your keeper lacks in those areas and you have a strong field player who can fill that role, then you have your sweeper. But of course I have to hedge my statement by saying I agree with Mr. Roberts, your players should dictate your offense and defense more then you trying to fit them into what you know (sign of a good coach).

Link Copied to Clipboard