Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
brace
brace
B
Any college coach who offers a kid without seeing him train/play/etc. on multiple occasions -- at least on video -- is a fool.
That recruit is your career's lifeblood. Better get it right.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I agree. The story sounds more like an urban legend. However, we didn't say what level of college soccer we were talking about. A lower level D2 school......possible. A D1 school........I don't believe it.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
I think any coach who would do that is not stable. But this is what this young man heard and it gets passed along among his peers.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Hurst: Agreed on your basic statement of Academy being a "pro" prep. Then again, there's practical reality. Look at the 2011-12 SCUBDA U17-18 roster, and see how many are going pro out of high school vs. attending college.
While I don't endorse Academy as a cost-effective vehicle for pursuing a college grant-in-aid, it does effectively showcase kids (to college coaches) in high-quality training and competitive environments.

Backscreen,
I agree with you 100%. A kid has to play at the highest level in order to catch the eye of a coach of a competitive D1 program (and earn scholarship money). My point is that the highest level used to be Region 3 Premier League, and all the colleges were fine with it (except maybe Wake Forest). Why did we need another level when the college coaches were able to identify players under the "old system"? When R3PL was the top of the mountain, your son was being challenged in that environment. If playing in college is "the end" for 90% of players/parents, why did we need another level that sacraficed the high school experience?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
I'm having a hard time keeping up with who-is-who! Is Backscreen17 Jablonski's father? I think dhunter's son played in college too. Hurst66 had a daughter or two play in college right?

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

Hurst: Agreed on your basic statement of Academy being a "pro" prep. Then again, there's practical reality. Look at the 2011-12 SCUBDA U17-18 roster, and see how many are going pro out of high school vs. attending college.
While I don't endorse Academy as a cost-effective vehicle for pursuing a college grant-in-aid, it does effectively showcase kids (to college coaches) in high-quality training and competitive environments.

Backscreen,
I agree with you 100%. A kid has to play at the highest level in order to catch the eye of a coach of a competitive D1 program (and earn scholarship money). My point is that the highest level used to be Region 3 Premier League, and all the colleges were fine with it (except maybe Wake Forest). Why did we need another level when the college coaches were able to identify players under the "old system"? When R3PL was the top of the mountain, your son was being challenged in that environment. If playing in college is "the end" for 90% of players/parents, why did we need another level that sacraficed the high school experience?

Hurst, how does a player "earn" the right to play on a R3 team?

The old system rewarded team success. The new system is about players, not teams.

I'd also go back....R3 boys play in the Fall. NC plays HS in the fall. So NC teams playing in R3 aren't training or playing any other competiion as a team. While its nice to say the old R3 had CASL or Greensboro or a top CHarlotte team....what they had were shells of top teams. Those teams didn't really come together until mid Nov.

Having done both, its really no comparison.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Hi Kyle: A fair point about the Palmetto Cup, though having been there, I'd say your list represents total attendance, over multiple days and matches. I've been at several PC matches over the last 3 years where no college coaches were in attendance. Not a knock, 'cause it's a great tournament!
As to regular-season matches ... you see my point.
I'd also add that, anyone BOY who chooses affiliation based on exposure to college coaches is kidding himself. Very, very few domestic male NCAA Division I college soccer players receive more than fractional grant-in-aid support ... especially as freshmen. In general, those who receive support initially attracted attention as 12-13-year-olds in club and camp environments BEFORE THEY PLAYED A MINUTE OF HIGH SCHOOL (OR ACADEMY) SOCCER.
Continued development in those environments merely confirms skill and commitment levels. That's why the REAL issue FOR THOSE KIDS is development; i.e., the best environment to maximize potential. With no more than a handful of exceptions in our state, boys' high school soccer does not provide that type of competitive training environment.
That's not a knock on high school soccer, which can be a great experience in many important ways. That's why many reasonable people support letting kids do BOTH.

My son played for North Meck Academy. His jr year of HS we played NC Fusion in Greensboro at Bryan Park stadium field. Just a regular season game. At that game were national team coaches.....multiple Wake Forest coaches, UNC coaches, NC State coaches, Elon coaches, etc etc etc. This was just a game.....not a tournament. While that was a little bit extreme, I don't ever recall a game he played when there wasn't multiple D1 coaches in attendance. By contrast, in 3 years of R3PL play...I don't ever recall seeing a coach at a game. I'm sure someone was there, just can't say I ever saw them.

Why? No clue. Maybe becasue R3 is in season for colleges. Maybe the level of play isn't as good. No idea why.....only know what I saw.

C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
U.S. Soccer star criticizes high school ban

Article Written by J.R. Eskilson, ESNN
Published: July 17, 2012

Much has been made of the U.S. Soccer Federation moving its prized youth development outlet, the Development Academy, to a ten-month schedule and banning full-time players from playing high school sports.

17-year-old Landon Donovan

Last week at the Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year ceremony, Landon Donovan and Brandi Chastain, on hand as presenters, had plenty to say on the subject, and where they would like to see player development in the U.S. improve.

“Not my cup of tea,” Chastain told TopDrawerSoccer.com. “I loved high school sports and always will. I’ll encourage my son to play high school sports. There is a wonderful experience to be had in playing high school sports.”

Chastain’s son just turned six years old this month, so it is a while off before he will make the difficult choice between Academy and high school, but the former U.S. women’s national team great has put a lot of thought into her opinion on the subject already.

“Now, some high schools have wonderful teams and the level doesn’t go down. Other high schools don’t [play at that level] but there is something to be said about being amongst your peers and wearing that letterman’s jacket with the block letter on the chest. I think there is room for that.”

Social aspects aside, Chastain questioned the thought process from those signing off on the new rule.

“I honestly think that sometimes I want to shake the people in charge because it is not about you. It is about these kids having this experience because they cannot get it back.”

While Donovan was not quite as outspoken about the new rule, he did reflect positively on his brief time at Redlands East Valley High School.

“Those couple of years were some of the best memories of my life,” Donovan told TopDrawerSoccer.com. “I remember the bus rides when you get on the bus after school and had somewhere to play a game. It was just fun.

“There is such a hierarchy because when you are a freshman, you are just watching the seniors and soaking it in. And I do miss that. I wish I had gotten to the point where I could have been a senior and paved the way for the younger guys.”

While Donovan reminisces about the missed opportunity, he does believe that USSF is taking the right step with the Academy.

“I think it was inevitable. When you look at the game around the world, the way it is played and the way players are developed, that is the model they use.

“It is difficult because some of my best times were playing high school soccer. It wasn’t the best for my development, but it was some of the best times. There is still a place for kids who want to play high school soccer, but I think the elite players are going to shift to playing against other elite players. That is the only way you make the game better and better.”

The all time leading scorer in U.S. Men’s National Team history also had other comments on improving the structure in the youth soccer game.

“I think the most important thing is that we are indentifying enough talented players. I played on a club team with four or five players more talented than I was, but never would’ve had a chance to make it – some for their own doing but others because there was no system in place to recognize the kids. My hope is that we can start indentifying more kids and giving more kids an opportunity.”

When asked about stepping into a coaching role after his playing days ended, Donovan was open to the idea.

“I am not sure I would want to be a coach of a professional team – the pressure and travel is what I like the least - but I think coaching a youth team would be fun. If I get that opportunity, it is something I would like to do.”

B
brace
brace
B
This is an interesting piece.
First, regarding Chastain's comments, I would argue that the women's soccer developmental and career paths in this country are tangibly different from the men's; not to mention that her high school experience occurred some 20 years ago, in a much different place and time. Doesn't render her opinion invalid; just different. My guess is, had there been a Women's Academy back then, she would have been there, if forced to choose. If her son chooses to pursue soccer, we'll see what HIS choice will be in 8-10 years ... if no accommodation has been reached by that time.
---
Second, while Donovan recalls his high school experience positively, he seems to endorse the USSF approach. Which doesn't necessarily make it right, but seems to be a tad more relevant.
As I've said repeatedly, the correct answer is BOTH ... with coaches recognizing their counterparts' contribution to personal and athletic development.
I would point out one other irony. My son has been approached several times to try out as a kicker for his high school football team. When he expressed concern about potential conflicts with the fall Academy schedule, the FOOTBALL coaches hastened to point out that they'd do everything they could to minimize practice time and potential conflicts.
Imagine that. "Hard-headed" football coaches aggressively seeking an accommodation, while soccer programs and coaches can not.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Backscreen....I disagree with you a little bit regarding maintaining the status quo and DOnovan's take on that. Everyone is locking in on the pro high school comments he made. This is what I saw as the key point:

"While Donovan reminisces about the missed opportunity, he does believe that USSF is taking the right step with the Academy.

“I think it was inevitable. When you look at the game around the world, the way it is played and the way players are developed, that is the model they use.

“It is difficult because some of my best times were playing high school soccer. It wasn’t the best for my development, but it was some of the best times. There is still a place for kids who want to play high school soccer, but I think the elite players are going to shift to playing against other elite players. That is the only way you make the game better and better.”

He is illustrating the conflict. No one said this was a no-brainer. He loved HS. But.....for the top player, 10 month Academy is the best way to go for the elite player.

That came thru loud and clear to me. Status quo won't get it done.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard