Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#159574 09/08/12 03:13 AM
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
MNT falls to Jamaica in Kingston

How does the U.S. (314 million) lose to Jamaica (population 2.9 million)? Jamaica is smaller than S.C.! Are you telling me that Jamaica has more coaches with licenses, players paying for USDA, top professional leagues, etc.? This is totally bizarre! Someone please make sense of this outrage!

We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought.
S
kick off
kick off
S
How much of a Development Academy or money soccer, I mean, club soccer does the country of Jamaica have at their disposal? Pathetic showing by the U.S. and the Nazi!

dont question me
S
goal
goal
S
evidently we don't have enough self important coaches with alphabetical made up coaching credentials or rich white kids playing soccer to win on an international level.

we need to raise the yth club fees to further discriminate against the many who can't afford club so we can all pat each other on the back & declare its all about the kids...
how did we fuc up a sport designed for the masses that just requires a ball & maybe some cleats....greed anyone?
hello, anyone home?

Last edited by sandman; 09/10/12 03:59 AM.
S
goal
goal
S
its hilarious that yth hoops, baseball/softball, football etc all survive & thrive very well without the pretention of bogu$ high dollar yth $alesmen coache$.
ya gotta wonder, how does a sport like hoops that is so dependent on low income minorities excel here & internationally.
oh, i forgot, its all about the kids.

B
brace
brace
B
What are you talking about?
Each of the sports you mentioned -- ESPECIALLY BASKETBALL -- is notoriously corrupt at the youth elite level. Indeed, you could make the case that the very corruption inherent in high-level AAU basketball is what attracts low-income, elite-level athletes to the sport. If we had that kind of payola available in soccer, you'd see a completely different demographic.
THAT SAID ... The USMNT lost 2-1 on the road against a program many see as a potential CONCACAF World Cup qualifier. The key was set pieces coming off poor fouls.
Am I disappointed? Sure! No matter what the sport or resources available, you must have discipline and focus to win on the road. We didn't have enough.
ONE MORE THING ... If "tiny" Jamaica can dominate men's sprint events at the Olympics, why CAN'T it win a CONCACAF qualifier at home?
It ain't about population, or China would win everything.

S
goal
goal
S
i wasn't talking elite. my point was that other sports have figured out a more inclusive model.

B
brace
brace
B
And my point is, your more "inclusive" model isn't necessarily a good model. The AAU/college basketball model could not be any more corrupt. Street agents, under-the-table payments, etc. Sadly, football is moving that way, with 7-v-7 camps and other venues designed solely for the benefit of the adults involved. Baseball, too.
Still, I agree with a good bit of what you say -- that soccer COULD be a lot more inclusive, and I think we MAY be moving that way with more and more fully subsidized Academy rosters.
I'd also say that, the 2-1 loss to Jamaica isn't the result of a poor player-development model, as much as the nature of the sport.

S
goal
goal
S
my real point is that the yth soccer clubs recognized a need for the rich white kids to dominate a sport of their own & figured a way to take advatage of that fact & make a career of it. i would suggest that these same coaches would still be coaching by volunteering with expenses paid if the current overindulgent parents knew better. parents created a monster to the detriment of soccer in this country.

B
brace
brace
B
So, your point is?
Having been in Europe -- which is held as some amazing model by Herr Klinsmann, Senor Reyna, et al -- I didn't see too many high-level youth coaches working for free.
Agreed, the SOURCE of their income wasn't fees. It was a subsidized club structure that identifies, buys, develops and sells for-profit youth soccer players. And sells tickets to matches. And advertising to sponsors. And collects TV rights fees. We are not there yet. Nowhere close.
My larger question would be, what's the difference between paying coaching fees, or a music teacher, or a math tutor, or ...
Whatever it may be.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I'd also say that, the 2-1 loss to Jamaica isn't the result of a poor player-development model, as much as the nature of the sport.

So what it is about "the nature of the sport" that contributed to the result?

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard