Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Played a team this weekend that was obviously trained to bump, bump hard, and challenge from behind every opportunity. Legal or not, what should have been called, if not?

They were not trying to win the ball, not even going for the ball, just the player.

The outcome was not affected, just would like to know your thoughts.

H
goal
goal
H
By the letter of the law, probably a foul. More importantly, it's an accepted part of the game, to a point. May as well get used to it now. It will make the kids stronger on the ball and they will develop the anticipation of the contact that will only get stronger as they get older.

B
brace
brace
B
Depends, somewhat, on the age group. The reality is, the primary difference between little-kid soccer and big-boy/girl soccer is the physicality. Kids are, quite correctly, coached to NOT allow opponents to turn with the ball. Hence, tight, physical marking. As long as it doesn't cross a line, I'm fine with it.
That said, in my opinion, many of our state's officials call too many ticky-tack fouls in higher age-group matches.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Trust me it is not sticker shock on physical play, seen way too much up close and personal for that to be the case. It was how systmeic it was, and how it got ignored that was stricking.

B
brace
brace
B
If it's truly systemic (the result of poor coaching) and it's CLEARLY over the line, then all the coaches in the league may want to let officials know BEFORE games that it's a problem. Word will get out, and refs will solve it.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
As often and systematic as it was - I think it was coached into them. It is an out of state team, just wanted some feed back.

Link Copied to Clipboard