Next Thread
Print Thread
K
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
K
CORNER KICK

After 25 years I regret to have to say - Corner Kick will be closing at the end of November. It has been a very long and enjoyable ride. It's not a decision I am happy to make but times are changing and the need for a good old hometown Soccer Store seems to be a thing of the past. The days of the store being filled after school with kids who just wanted to hang out and talk soccer or see the latest styles for cleats are gone. Today they have internet and can actualy watch soccer on TV.

I have seen many generations of Soccer come through these doors. It has been such a joy to help the little ones of people who came here as little ones for their first soccer needs. It always amazes me that we were open before most of the college players of today were even born !

I opened this store in 1987 because their was no place to really buy Jay shoes ( and being a toe dragger, he was going through a pair a month). My dream was always to have him here with me. After years of high school and college that finally happened. For over seventeen years he has been here and has become the person you love and trust with your soccer needs. He has become the face of Corner Kick, as I have faded into the background, and I couldn't be prouder of him. He has developed the same love and passion for this place as I once had. For over 12 years he has been the one you have seen to help, guide and educate you.

Thank you for your many. many years of support. Our customers have become like family. It is so wonderful when the college kids come home for holidays and come in to report how their life is going. We will miss all of this desparately.

There is some good news mixed in with my saddness. Jay will continue to be able to help you. He is joining Todd & Moore as they move to broaden their store into soccer. He is very excited about being able to still serve you.The combination of Jay's love and knowledge of soccer with Todd & Moore's wonderful history in Sporting Goods in Columbia should be very beneficial to the soccer community.

Please take the time to stop in and see us this month. Come enjoy 20% discount off of already drastically reduced merchandise. We would love to see you.

Ann and Jay
Corner Kick

M
brace
brace
M
Sorry to hear this news! The kids coming up today will miss what has been a unique experience as Ann has stated so passionately. Thank you Ann and Jay for your service and dedication to bringing a unique experience to our kids over the years. It's been something I'm sure they will all remember. Best of luck to Jay with Todd and Moore. He'll be a great asset to them!

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
Goal
Goal
It is a shame. Love that store and it was due to the customer service that I received. Jay is awesome with the customers...no matter if they were U4 players or ECNL players. Top notch guy and hate it that this has happened.

Freaking online shopping killed his business.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I hate that corner kick is closing...loved it their.
However, this will continue to be a common theme in the near future. Most business owners are looking to close their doors, liquidate, and retire if possible. When talking to a big time tax accountant, one owner of a 200 mil. company will be closing the doors of their company at the end of December (unfortunately folks do not know it yet). All because of healthcare and anticipated tax increases from 15% to 30-35% in January. Sobering!

Brace
Brace
How true! I have heard from a few business owners in York Cty that will be doing same or at a minimum, cutting staff. Where was this mentioned in the campaign or the passing of Obamacare? People don't see to realize there is a price tag on this decisions and we all get into trouble if we spend more than we bring in.

Goal
Goal
To both Import and Meredith,

There was a student on FB posting previous to the election about how he was going to vote for Obama because of college loans. He kept going on and on and when I asked him who did he think was going to pay for all of these "gifts" that Obama was promising, he never answered. The youth of the day...carefree and they will be broke by all the "gifts" that they voted for.

I think it was said best that if a man is not a liberal by age 20, he has no heart. If he is not a conservative when he is 40, he has no brain

L
Goal
Goal
L
Sorry to hear of Corner Kick closing.
For what it’s worth- Obamacare only applies to businesses with 50 or more full-time employees.

World Cup
World Cup
Hate to hear this news about a landmark soccer store in the Midlands. Back in the 1980s and early 1990s Corner Kick was the soccer business in Columbia. Good luck to all those involved and thanks for providing the local soccer community a sound shopping business.

World Cup
World Cup

11/30/12

Closing of Irmo soccer store pains fans
Joey Holleman, The State

M
brace
brace
M
Great picture! Best of luck and thank you again for all you've done over the years. The canvas tent Jay would erect during tournaments looked like something you would see in the scottish or english countryside. First class statement all the way around. It was a pleasure to be a customer.

Well done Ann and Jay!

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.

Link Copied to Clipboard