Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
J
Does anyone know of any JV Tournaments that are not sanctioned by the SCHSL? I have looked into SCISA tournaments thinking they would work for PAC but the one I found is also sanctioned by the SCHSL.

Any leads would be much appreciated!

World Cup
World Cup
FYI:

To: All Superintendents, Principals & Athletics Directors
Subject: Invitational Tournaments

Hope your school year is progressing well. As the spring sports season gets underway, please continue to stress to your teams, the importance of them as representatives of your school(s).

Earlier in this school year (October 16, 2012), I sent you an email referencing invitational tournaments and participation of non-member teams. The purpose of that email was two fold:

1. To alert member schools that they may be competing against opponents that are not governed by a state association.

and

2. Protect the member schools from possible altercations that may occur with non-member schools.

However, while no school has contacted me with major concerns, state legislators inquiring about the purpose of the restrictions have contacted me. Some school administrators have echoed their concerns.

In an effort to work with the membership and still accomplish the two-folded purpose, I ask that the following procedures be employed when applying for sanctioning of invitational tournaments that include non-member teams that are not governed by a state association.

1. Notify all member schools invited that they may be competing against a non-member team. This should be done prior to their formal acceptance of the invitation.

2. Provide a letter from the host school to the League office signed by the district superintendent and principal indicating that the member schools have been notified.

I trust that this procedure will serve as a beneficial compromise for the member schools that may encounter this situation.

Thank you for your continued support of your South Carolina High School League and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Thanks for posting this, but this is not a compromise. Getting the District Superintendent to sign-off is bureaucracy designed to stifle participation from what are fundamentally homeschool teams.

There have been no issues with the homeschool teams--and let's be fair about this--if there are issues, don't invite the homeschool team (or non-association team) to play in future contests.

Also, what protection is needed from non-member schools that isn't needed from member schools?

This whole policy, and the reasons stated for having it, is a red-herring. Let's go back to the way we were a year ago. If a team/school does not wish to allow a nonmember program to participate in a tournament--that is totally up to them. All homeschool programs I know of am aware that no one has to play them.

If there is a problem in a tournament/invitational, then the host school merely has to report the problem to SCHSL and SCHSL can advise other tournament hosts that there was a problem.

The reason the state representatives are asking is because some parents see the problem and they contacted their representative. Anyone can see, prima facia, this is a knee-jerk policy initiative. It can be fixed tomorrow.

Link Copied to Clipboard