Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pjay #164355 05/20/13 02:56 PM
T
bench
bench
T
The best situation I have seen for soccer is not wealth but nationality. Look at what happened in Georgia this weekend. Class 4A - Dalton beat SE Whitfield (who beat NW Whitfield in semi). These players aren't spending tons of money for clubs and high $ coaches. They can just play ball.

Pjay #164356 05/21/13 12:33 AM
L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
You are partially right Pjay, there are many wealthy people on Hilton Head Island, but the vast majority are either retired or visiting. The local economy is almost entirely service industry and trades, and it is the children of those working in those businesses who attend the public schools on Hilton Head (and Bluffton). Also, although its a beautiful place to live, its a long ride to the nearest competitive soccer club (Savannah or Charleston) - not to mention the nearest region opponent. Just ask Myrtle Beach, B-C and Socastee what it is like to suffer through a 3+ hour bus ride on a school night to play a match.

So, to answer your question, I can think of a far better situation than a high school filled with children of the working class located 2 hours from the nearest youth soccer club or AAA opponent.

lfc #164357 05/21/13 01:31 AM
P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Then why do they dominate 3a??

This is the girls 3rd straight state championship and they are beating schools bigger than they are in Eastside and Fort Mill.

And the boys won this year after losing last year.

So there must be some dynamic going on that is allowing them to dominate. Perhaps all their competition has moved up to the 4a level?

Pjay #164358 05/21/13 01:55 PM
B
brace
brace
B
If you're talking about HH ... they were Class AAAA not THAT long ago. My suspicion is, despite the school's address, you've got lots of working class kids on BOTH teams playing soccer for good, organized coaches.
Just guessing ... probably a significant Latino population and representation on the teams.

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
I think that Backscreen is right, the most significant factor is that both the boys and girls have had sustained, quality coaching over the past 5-6 years. I realize that both (especially the girls) have been very competitive over the recent years, but if you look at them historically you see only occasional success. This was the first year that the HH boys have ever won a soccer state title - which is hardly dominant when you compare HH to the history of Eastside, B-C, Myrtle Beach or any number of other AAA programs.

lfc #164360 05/21/13 11:57 PM
T
bench
bench
T
When I played Irmo was lower state, HH was AAAA. so much has changed since then. Rural schools that were 4A are now 2A, etc. Sometimes, i think success can be found by the culture of the area. Where I live, the soccer culture is greatly diminished from what it was. A great contributing factor is the lack of facilities IMO.

thebarb22 #164361 05/22/13 10:37 PM
B
brace
brace
B
Enrollments rise and fall. In my time, schools like Burke, Battery Creek, North Charleston have been Class AAAA. I can give you all kinds of "cultural" reasons, but enrollments change -- sometimes, drastically.
Why? Population shifts, new schools and enrollment zones, etc.
As a cultural/familial matter, many Latino families and extended families tend to settle in certain neighborhoods and disproportionately populate the public schools in those areas. I'm thinking of schools like Stall, Brookland-Cayce, and to a certain extent, HHI. Personally, I think it's great that many schools are enjoying a new cultural diversity, and if that boosts their soccer capacity, GREAT!
I would point out that it's not a "given" that any random group of Latino kids will dominate HS soccer. I give you Goose Creek, where I have sat in the stands near their kids while their boys were playing, and heard as much Spanish as English. My point being, as good as you might THINK kids "should" be ... without coaching, administrative support and organization, it just doesn't happen.
Hence my theory about HH's success.

Pjay #164362 08/24/13 06:11 AM
M
bench
bench
M
I guess that makes the low country the SEC. The midlands are the Big 10 and the upstate Fifa 13 Ultimate Team Forums is the WAC. Good job Mann girls. Thats just phase one- getting there. Next phase is to win and phase three is to repeat. Part of our perfect plan.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard