corner kick
corner kick
L
Yes

C
throw in
throw in
C
According to the home page, JL Mann is the Champion and Wando is runner up. What confuses me is that Wando had 3 shut outs and scored a total of 13 goals, if the limit was to count 3 goals per game, they would have a total of 9 points with no goals against. JL Mann had a total of 13 goals, but if you only count up to 3 goals per game that would be 8 points with one point against (Scores 7-0, 4-0 and 2-1). Lexington had a total count of 8 goals with 1 point against and using the same limit of 3 goals per game, would have a total of 8 points with one point against. If they are using total goals in the tournament, that would be unfair to Lexington because they only played half of their game on Thursday night and missed the opportunity to gain more points. It would appear to me that Wando would be first and Lexington and JL Mann would tie for runner up. Just wondering outloud.

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Citg... Your points looks to be right, but I think your math is off.

Wando beat Irmo 2-0 so only 2 points for that game. 3 for each other the other games only gives them 8 points.

Unless they are using the 1 point for shut out then its:
4 points, 3 points and 4 points for 11 points.
(I assume they shut out their last game, but I see no actual score any where)

JL Mann: 3 points, 3 points and 2 points for 8 points.

Or 4, 4, 2 for 10 points.

I am assuming they use the score system like most of these tournaments.
aka 3 points for a win, 1 point per goal for the first 3 goals and 1 point for a shut out.

Personally I don't think it is fair to name any of these teams tourney champions based on how it played out. Looks like at least 4 teams went undefeated so how do you say JL Mann is better than Wando or Lexington or Fort Mill based on goals differential when none of them played common opponents.

Each of these four teams beat the teams they played again which is all you can ask of them. The winner shouldn't be based on which team racked up the most goals against inferior teams especially when they aren't having common opponents.

Last edited by Pjay; 03/10/14 03:49 AM.
P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
And if we REALLY wanna get picky....

Using last years Massey ratings:
Fort Mill beat the 4th, 9th and 10th ranked schools from last year.

JL Mann beat the 11th, 17th and 25th ranked school.

Wando beat Nation Ford and Irmo who weren't even ranked in the top 25 last year and the 12th ranked school.

Lexington beat the 6th and 15th ranked and unranked West Florence.

So is it fair to place JL Mann or Wando over Fort Mill because they ran up the score against weaker opponents?

They should have just left it with the bracket champions and gone with that.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

And if we REALLY wanna get picky....

Using last years Massey ratings:
Fort Mill beat the 4th, 9th and 10th ranked schools from last year.

JL Mann beat the 11th, 17th and 25th ranked school.

Wando beat Nation Ford and Irmo who weren't even ranked in the top 25 last year and the 12th ranked school.

Lexington beat the 6th and 15th ranked and unranked West Florence.

So is it fair to place JL Mann or Wando over Fort Mill because they ran up the score against weaker opponents?

They should have just left it with the bracket champions and gone with that.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a preseason tournament and valuable lessons were learned for all teams competing. Thanks to Spring Valley for hosting and making do with a difficult week of weather. Congrats to Coach Lea on his #300 wins.

Victory Starts Here!
F
throw in
throw in
F
It was a mistake to name a tournament champion or finalist. The teams that were bracket champions should have been the final result of the tournament. Anything else seems to undermine their accomplishments on the field

C
Corner Kick
OP Online Content
Corner Kick
C
As stated in the tournament rules and emailed to the coaches Friday night:

Declaring a champion in the event of severe weather (or other necessary) cancellations:

a) If cancellations of matches prevented an overly large number of bracket matches from being completed (discretion would lie with tournament committee), no champion would be declared.

b) If bracket play is completed but Sunday play is cancelled, a champion would be declared from among the four bracket champions. Placement would be determined on a point system. Points would be awarded as follows – two points for each victory and one point for each tie achieved by a team you have faced in bracket play (i.e., reward for strength of opponents); one point for each shutout your team has achieved; and one point deducted for each advancement by your team via penalty kicks.

c) If required, goal differential (+\- maximum of three goals per game) would be used to determine the champion from among teams tied in the above points system. Finally, goals allowed (no limit per game) would be the final tie-breaker.

d) If no definitive single champion were able to be declared at this point, co-champions would be declared.

C
Corner Kick
OP Online Content
Corner Kick
C
And if you are to the Massey ratings, then shouldn't we wait till those are published at the end of the year since it would then apply to this years group of girls and not last years?

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Thanks Coach. I looked for rules on the site but didn't see them. And I understand you want to have a Champion and the rules you used were about as fair as it can be when it comes to rules. But at the end of the day the girls can only beat the teams they play and it's a bummer for the Championship to come down to who can score the most goals against a weak team.

I used last years ratings because that was all we had to go by. We can always revisit this again at the end of the year, but I think the state championships will let us know who the best team is. Unless they cancel it due to rain

C
Corner Kick
OP Online Content
Corner Kick
C
I think it would actually be fun to look at it when the new Massey rankings come out at the end of the year. Hypotheticals are what makes sports discussions so much fun.

We would love for it to be settled on the field as much as possible but could not make it work. Each of the bracket winners did have hardware to carry home with them though.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard