Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#166464 04/01/14 09:25 AM
L
lvrpul Offline OP
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
L
What is the proper protocol for having a ref removed from reffing games. The individual in question is actually the assignor and has been reffing for 30 plus years. He has consistently gotten worse as the years have gone on to the point where he loses total control of the games and has caused players to get hurt. And before anyone thinks this is sour grapes it isn't. The team I pull for has never lost a game he has reffed I am just concerned for the safety of the kids playing. He consistently misses serious infractions and kids have actually been injured due to this. He gave a yellow card to a kid and told the kid it was for something he did 10 minutes prior. I have been videotaping some of the games he refs and was wondering if the SCHSL or the School District has the authority to remove him. I personally know that none of the club teams will allow him to ref. I just need direction on who I should send the tapes to for viewing.

N
Kickoff
Kickoff
N
Good luck in your quest. Maybe you can take the USSF Grade 8 class, start refereeing USSF then for the short time period of high school, referee that as well. Referees do not wake up in the morning and decide that they are going to referee so that players get injured. Player safety is the #1 goal of refereeing. You have to understand that soccer refereeing is a game of angles. Your angle may be different than his and vice versa. Do referees get it right everytime???? Probably not but they try hard too. You have to understand that we are talking high school soccer. Unlike league play where most of the kids are the same age, high school is different. You could have a 14yoa playing against an 18yoa player. BIG difference. The yellow card given 10 minute later???? well the referee decided that it needed to be done at that time to control the player/team/game. Cards are given to change the behavior of a player/team/game. I hope that this helps you understand soccer refereeing. Your videos can always be sent to the high school league for review but as i started this reply, Good Luck in your quest.

Throw In
Throw In
Woody is not the assignor, if in fact you are talking about him. He refereed your game against Berea where a red card was issued.
I would suggest you begin refereeing or encourage former players in the area to take the class as I do. I would suggest putting your efforts to increasing the talent of the local referees than having one removed.

BKFK #166467 04/02/14 07:38 PM
L
kick off
kick off
L
Quote:

I would suggest you begin refereeing or encourage former players in the area to take the class as I do. I would suggest putting your efforts to increasing the talent of the local referees than having one removed.

A number of years ago when my daughter was playing club ball in the premier bracket I became the parent that every Ref hated to see near the touchline. During one game against some upstate rivals I completely lost my cool as a girl from the other team was throwing elbows to one of our girls, that the Ref did not see.(my daughter wasn't ever on the pitch when this was happening). Long story short I removed myself before I lost what was left of my self control or lack of it. I decided that if things were to ever get better I needed to step up and see if my actions could speak louder than my words. I am now living in the UK and am closing out my first season working in a men's league. I find myself adjusting my style to the type of play over here. Every game I take away something that I can do better or remember to do next game. I feel beat-up at the end of some games, but I remember why I started and that keeps me going. As I heard a parent during a game I worked in Columbia complain about one of the Ref crew I realized that how wrong people are to criticize if they are not willing to step up and try and make things better. Step up and Raise the bar, become the Ref that you want to see calling you kids game

ALWAYS REMEMBER ITS 4 THE KIDS!
S
bench
bench
S
The fact that you had the audacity to even create a post like this is so absolutely outrageous that I purposely created an account just to comment on this.

As Nuke'em said, the age/size difference is the main problem and the mindset that highschool is less skilled; therefore more physical play occurs. Another thing is, I don't understand why everyone blames the referee for all injuries???? Just because he misses a serious foul play doesn't change that fact that a injury occurs. Considering he can't predict a foul, injuries are going to happen. But please, explain to me how the hell a referee is going to stop an injury from occurring from a random foul occurring?

And like everyone else had said, why don't you try and participate? Or why don't you try to get involved and increased referee training? Right now there is a severe shortage of 'high school referee' simply because of the age requirements. Rather than complaining, you should be happy that this referee has put in so many years.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Kudos to you LIVINGINTHEUK.
I assume you guys are still doing mens amateur on your own without linesman??
I did it the other way around. Started in the UK and then moved over here. Interesting perspective.

WhoDaresWins
K
bench
bench
K
lvrpul,
step up and stop crying about what ur not willing to get involved in. whinny parents like you irk me. let me guess as soon as your kid graduates we'll never see you on the board again....

B
brace
brace
B
It's great that some folks are "stepping up" as is suggested here. That said, the quality of high school officiating is not as good as it MIGHT be, and a big part of the problem is a genuine lack of accountability. You can rail on me for saying this, but the fact remains: When an official is consistently poor and a PARENT beefs, the parent is portrayed as a know-nothing jerk. When a (presumably informed) coach complains, he/she runs the risk of reprisals from the incompetent's assignor and colleagues.
For what it's worth, it's the same in several other sports: notably basketball. Not an excuse; just a fact.
Without mentioning names, there is a senior official in the Columbia region whom I have watched work numerous games (both middle and lines) for (too) many years. He is consistently out of position (even on the lines) and arrogant to boot. And he keeps getting good assignments. Now, think for a minute just whom this MIGHT be, and realize that SEVERAL names come to mind.
Now you see the problem.

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
What is the proper protocol for having a ref removed from reefing games--

To bitch moan and complain from the stands like the rest of us. And then to deal with it cause nothing is going to change.

And all this talk about kids getting hurt due to bad refs... never seen it happen actually. Seen lots of injuries, but almost never cause the game was out of hand due to lack of calls. I think far more injuries are caused by poor playing fields than 'bad' refs.

Pjay #166473 04/03/14 06:22 PM
Goal
Goal
Seeing this, then thinking about how I spoke to a few of my boys the other day when them and a few parents got upset at the ref.

One of my players got bent out of shape of how a ref was making calls and got a yellow. Then some other players chimed in, halftime hit and finally I was done. I told my boys, "Referees are who they are. Some are great and some are horrible. When they make a call, right or wrong, shut your mouth and just keep playing. Not all games are the same and some are more physical than others. So what if the ref made a bad call? It's not like yelling at him will change his mind. What you should be more concerned about is marking your man or making a wall. It's rare that a ref will ever change his mind. So just shut up and play."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard