Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Pjay #166474 04/03/14 06:26 PM
Goal
Goal
Quote:

I think far more injuries are caused by poor playing fields than 'bad' refs.

Now that is a topic that should be looked in to. I've seen some fields this season that look GREAT and some that when you didn't think they could get worse, I could only make a face...

Last edited by eMnAvA; 04/03/14 06:27 PM.
P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
We are very lucky.

Half the teams in our district now have turf fields. Two of the others have dedicated soccer only fields that looked good last year (haven't played this year)

And only two have football/soccer fields. One looks to have been redone over the summer and was decent but the other was a mess about 50/50 mud to grass ratio in the middle of the field.

I know some people don't like the artificial turf fields, but unless you have a dedicate soccer field the turf is MUCH better solution than sharing field with a football team and having them rip it to pieces in the fall and then winter hitting and you get stuck playing on mud for half the season.

On top of that turf is a faster playing surface which makes for faster games and thus safer games due to less collisions and tackles etc. And watching two good teams on turf is a heck of a lot of fun.

Pjay #166476 04/03/14 06:59 PM
B
brace
brace
B
I'll come at this from several directions. 1) As long as it's in decent condition, a natural surface is preferable to artificial turf. It's "softer" to land on, and far more forgiving to toes, feet and joints. See: turf toe. 2) Because all things are seldom equal, there are instances when artificial turf is preferable. In a world where fewer ADs are football coaches, ADs should be discouraging use of fields after FB season ends. 3) To me, the biggest problem with "traditional" football surfaces ISN'T the surface, but rather, the dimension. Most are 10-15 yards to narrow, reducing space and therefore quality of play. PS: There ARE schools where football, soccer and now lacrosse share facilities. Good luck with THAT.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
I guess the answer to your question is to not ask such a question here. Sorry you got ripped to pieces for what I think is a legitimate point. Not uncommon to see a set of refs walk in and think "Thank God", or "Oh my God".

Go Blue!! Go Canes!!
G
bench
bench
G
I agree with the original post to a degree. I know that for the most part, referees are doing the best they can with the games they referee. That being said, there are legitimate BAD referees. Not just complaining parents or coaches, but plain BAD referees. There is NO accountability for referees. Its very true that when you see who walks on the field it's either "yes" or "OMG". When it's OMG you just hope they don't affect the outcome of the game. I don't want to become a referee and I accept who ever walks on the field, but just because there's no accountability in the current system, doesn't mean there shouldn't be. There should be a just way to get a truly incompetent ref off the field.

Goal
Goal
Maybe first year refs could be assigned to games that have no bearing on playoffs (i.e. JV and middle school matches). Save the better refs for the Varsity matches. As the younger refs get more experience, allow them to ref a few Varsity matches.

Have a yearly exam and take into account their score and allow the lead official to give them a grade and the coaches. The lower scores receive less Varsity matches. It's a starting point

Brace
Brace
Annual test is given but a big difference between answering quetions with no time pressure vs. a game where you have second to 'answer the question'. Not only do we have a shortage of qualified refs in some areas but also a shortage of assessors. Refs need the feedback on what they did right and what they could be doing better. And you are correct, they should be assigned to games that are qualified to ref and work up from there.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
[ SoccerInCarolina quoted:
Right now there is a severe shortage of 'high school referee' simply because of the age requirements.]

Is there an age requirement for referee's? At what age can a referee begin refereeing HS soccer? Is there a mandatory retirement age? Just curious - I have never heard of a retirement age before.

Referee Abuse Needs to stop.
I have noticed the number of pages of referee's drop from over 5 to 3.5. I see coach/parent abuse towards referees increasing over the years. I try to teach the parents of my players to show good sportsmanship towards the referees. Coaches can set an example and teach players & parents sportsmanship to discourage referee abuse.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Annual test is given but a big difference between answering quetions with no time pressure vs. a game where you have second to 'answer the question'. Not only do we have a shortage of qualified refs in some areas but also a shortage of assessors. Refs need the feedback on what they did right and what they could be doing better. And you are correct, they should be assigned to games that are qualified to ref and work up from there.

I agree with you on some points, but not all. If this was a big time job, not one where this was some pocket money job, then yes, they need to be evaluated. I proposed a system that is in place in other sports.

Personally, I wouldn't want a coach evaluating me if I was a ref, just like I wouldn't want a ref evaluating me if I was a coach. Some coaches don't know the rules and some refs don't know coaching.

I think that part of the problem lies in a training program or lack thereof. Those new guys need to be put through many hours of training and shadowing some experienced and highly regarded officials.

The test could be timed and there could be a minimum score. if you score above a certain grade, then you are eligible for playoffs and varsity contests.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Referee Abuse Needs to stop.
I have noticed the number of pages of referee's drop from over 5 to 3.5. I see coach/parent abuse towards referees increasing over the years. I try to teach the parents of my players to show good sportsmanship towards the referees. Coaches can set an example and teach players & parents sportsmanship to discourage referee abuse.

This

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard