Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
I agree that the real fun starts next week.

Especially in rounds 2 and 3. Will be nice to see the top teams playing other top teams for a change. No more 10-0 games after the 1st round too.

Plus the games are more fun to watch.

R
throw in
throw in
R
Just to clear up the Mann question. They do have several girls on the soccer team that got special permission to go there, or are in the magnet program. Also in Greenville county students can transfer and not have to sit out a year if school ADs and principals agree to it.

M
MT4ME Offline OP
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

Just to clear up the Mann question. They do have several girls on the soccer team that got special permission to go there, or are in the magnet program. Also in Greenville county students can transfer and not have to sit out a year if school ADs and principals agree to it.

Maybe you are right. Mann does have a large roster, and I don't know every girl, so maybe I missed one or two. But, of the ECNL players there are not several players that have special permission. Almost every one of them was zoned for Mann. Maybe someone from Mann knows exactly how many special permission players there are. I don't understand the implication in the first place. Mann isn't good because they recruited these girls. Right now and for the next few years, they just happen to have a good number of talented players zoned for their school. After that it may switch back to Mauldin or Riverside or another high school.

Ramsdad, how many is several and of these did they come for soccer or academics?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pjay,
I mentioned TL Hanna because you mentioned them as a win for Wando. So, are they worthy of mention when supporting Wando's difficult schedule but not Mann's? I'm just trying to figure it out.

I was just pointing out non-conference schedules since these three teams are not challenged by their in-conference opponents. Fort Mill out scored it conference 89-1 I believe.

But your point about Hanna is valid, at the same time though Hanna is a decent team, but not top 10 in the state and probably not a team where you would say "we beat them thus we are good"

So, Mann beat #6 and #10. Wando beat #8 & #9. Fort Mill beat #9 and somehow Mann still has the weakest schedule of the three? I am just trying to understand how you came to that conclusion. I would argue that the team that played the toughest schedule is Dorman, and they are in sixth place because of that schedule.

I didn't look at Dorman, was only looking at the top 3.

According to "uwishucouldplay" Mann was playing JV players in those scrimmages against Dorman and Riverside, I would guess those teams were playing JV players too etc etc. How much value do you put on a scrimmage, especially at the start of a season?

Once you get past those scrimmages then Mann's schedule becomes very weak with the only really tough team being Eastside. Sure Christ Church and Bishop England look good on paper, but they are 2a teams that don't have a lot of quality wins over 4a teams.

On the flip side:
Wando beat Irmo, Blythwood, and Academic Magnet and lost to Hilton Head and Peachtree ridge #7 in Georgia.

Fort Mill beat Blythewood, Academic Magnet (PKs) and lost to Lake Norman #6 in North Carolina.

So when it comes to playing high quality teams Mann probably had the weakest schedule and Wando the hardest. If you ran the Massey rankings today the strength of schedule would probably be Wando, Mann and Fort Mill due to the weakness of Fort Mills region, but both of their schedules will jump due to playoff games.

Finally, let's be honest about the quality of the teams in the state and that once you get past the top teams there is a large drop off.
Top teams being Mann, Wando, Fort Mill, Hilton Head, Eastside and Academic Magnet. Those six teams dominate just about everyone they play and their only losses come from playing one of the other top teams (except Hilton Head who might be having a down year)

And once you get past those six there is a big drop off as shown by goals allowed, Wade Hampton gave up three time as many goals as Fort Mill etc. So in general I would say that games outside that top group probably don't count much in the quality box.

BTW Lake Norman and Peachtree Ridge are kind of wild cards in all of this, but I would say that the 6 best team in North Carolina is probably better than the 6th best team in South Carolina and Lake Norman could probably hold its own against most teams in SC. I don't know about Peachtree since they beat Wando, but lost to BE.

I hope that explain how I came to my conclusion. Of course that doesn't mean that Mann won't run the table, as I have said any of the top three could win it and it wouldn't be a surprise. You don't get to 21-0 by accident

Final score tonight: Greenville 3 - Eastside 2 (Penalty shootout 5 - 3)
So much for a big drop off... but that's why they play the game

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
I am thinking:
1. Maybe Eastside isn't as good as we thought? Lost to Mann 4-0 and beat Dorman 2-1 and Riverside 1-0 and no other victories against top schools.

2. Greenville playing at home in a regional rivalry game probably played above their normal level.

Either way great win for Greenville.

I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you are right. Mann does have a large roster, and I don't know every girl, so maybe I missed one or two. But, of the ECNL players there are not several players that have special permission. Almost every one of them was zoned for Mann. Maybe someone from Mann knows exactly how many special permission players there are. I don't understand the implication in the first place. Mann isn't good because they recruited these girls. Right now and for the next few years, they just happen to have a good number of talented players zoned for their school. After that it may switch back to Mauldin or Riverside or another high school.

Ramsdad, how many is several and of these did they come for soccer or academics?

Is it none or several kids?

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Mann is not a special permission school. They are magnet. Which means you have to apply and wait in line. A outside board selects the students. Its really not complicated. The neighborhoods that consisted of at least 60 % of club players were zoned for Riverside and Mauldin. About seven years ago these neighborhoods were re-zoned for Mann. Thus we have grown from 1100 student to 1740.00 Unfortunately these new students aren't football or basketball players as the record shows. It seems to be all lacross and soccer players.

I
goal
goal
I
I was really trying to see if Mann's boom explained the bust at mauldin and riverside. No slight to those teams but they use to be the standard.

No other intent than to understand from me.

F
Throw In
Throw In
F
Riverside has a new coach and lost some very, very good players to graduation last year. Mauldin lost at least a couple of players that are playing D1 soccer also. Neither are playing up to recent standards, but I don't think either would be considered a bust

U
Throw In
Throw In
U
Ramsdad of course you are from Hilcrest and you haven't had a good year. There is not one player with special permission to play soccer for Mann. I just ask my daughter and she said ZERO. Why would you just make that up? Your credibility on here is not very good. Totally stupid on your part. They are a magnet school and every kid on the soccer team is zoned for Mann. Also, you do have to sit out a year if you transfer. You can't leave Christ church and play the next year at Mann or anywhere else for that matter. Do you just dream this stuff up and then write it down.
Mann carries a large roster because they want to. There have been numerous games where all u16 and u17 girls have been gone and not played in the high school game. This allows him to rest the ones that may have played Newberry or PC or North Greenville or Canada with there club team over the weekend or through the week.
Mann was lucky. Last year they had 5 ECNL CESA Freshman that were zoned for Mann join the team. Those 5 along with the other ECNL girls are what has taken Mann to the top. Last year at state, they were only freshman. They will keep getting better.
Just to clear the air, Ramsdad has no idea about what or who is at Mann and for what reasons. This is the perfect quote from It is, what it is:Right now and for the next few years, they just happen to have a good number of talented players zoned for their school. After that it may switch back to Mauldin or Riverside or another high school. It is what it is!

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard