Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
C
We have PK shootouts because "No game can end in a Tie" according to the state league. However, the Eurosport Scoreboard allows you to enter the game as a tie and then record the shootout results, therefore identifying the winner (although the record shows it as a tie). When you go to the league seeding meetings for 1A and 2A the seeding committees want to know if it was a win via shootout or a win in regulation/OT. I have seen it posted in Eurosport both ways - a Tie with the shootout results and a win with the shhotout results in a posted note. Which is the proper way? The winning team wants it as a win, the losing team wants it as a tie.

Coach Cady GSSM
World Cup
World Cup
If is a SCHSL regular season match, then the game should be recorded as a WIN/LOSS. You may identify the score as 4-3 and in the notations allowed via the Eurosport Scoreboard (mark the PKs - i.e. 3-2).

If it is a tournament result and the PKs are only used to identify a 'winner' for advancement purposes, the game is recorded as a tie and you can mark the PKs in the notation. Generally, these types of tourney games do not include overtime and end at the completion of regulation and move straight to penalties to decide the 'winner' for tourney advancement.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

We have PK shootouts because "No game can end in a Tie" according to the state league. However, the Eurosport Scoreboard allows you to enter the game as a tie and then record the shootout results, therefore identifying the winner (although the record shows it as a tie). When you go to the league seeding meetings for 1A and 2A the seeding committees want to know if it was a win via shootout or a win in regulation/OT. I have seen it posted in Eurosport both ways - a Tie with the shootout results and a win with the shhotout results in a posted note. Which is the proper way? The winning team wants it as a win, the losing team wants it as a tie.

I don't know how many times a season we have to clarify the designation of Penalty Kick decisions. Remember, the Eurosport Scoreboard is used nationally so what applies to SCHSL rules may be entirely different for other states, leagues, or associations.

Reference Post #169082 from a April 5 in the Boys Varsity thread:

Quote:

You are correct that all regular season matches must have a "winner" and "loser" per SCHSL/SCISA rules. Therefore, a penalty kick shootout is staged after overtime has been played to determine that "winner/loser" despite it being a draw. The only draw that should appear on any varsity team's record are those matches from tournament play. If there is ever a question, please notify us - SCSoccer.com - and we will correct the Eurosport Scoreboard.

C
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
C
Thanks for the clarification!

Coach Cady GSSM
C
Cav Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
C

If it is a tournament result and the PKs are only used to identify a 'winner' for advancement purposes, the game is recorded as a tie and you can mark the PKs in the notation. Generally, these types of tourney games do not include overtime and end at the completion of regulation and move straight to penalties to decide the 'winner' for tourney advancement.

Sorry, but I feel you contradict yourself here. You say that PKs are used to determine a winner. Then shouldn't it be recorded as a win? I would think so. I get it if the game actually ends in a tie ( Fort Mill/Lexington went 1-1 in the Palmetto Cup for example) with no further attempt to determine a winner. But once you go to PKs, you are making that determination.

Ultimately, the High School League is our governing body and should have the last say. They have stated, "No game shall end in a tie." As you know, it then goes on to say how regular season and playoff games are to be determined. It does not tell how tournament games are to be determined,that should happen in the application, but the "no tie" should still hold true.

"You play to win the game!" Herm Edwards

Score is Silver, Art is Gold!
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Sorry, but I feel you contradict yourself here. You say that PKs are used to determine a winner. Then shouldn't it be recorded as a win? I would think so. I get it if the game actually ends in a tie ( Fort Mill/Lexington went 1-1 in the Palmetto Cup for example) with no further attempt to determine a winner. But once you go to PKs, you are making that determination.

Ultimately, the High School League is our governing body and should have the last say. They have stated, "No game shall end in a tie." As you know, it then goes on to say how regular season and playoff games are to be determined. It does not tell how tournament games are to be determined,that should happen in the application, but the "no tie" should still hold true.

"You play to win the game!" Herm Edwards

We have had this discussion. No contradiction. The Taco Bell Viking Cup, amongst other tourneys, only uses PKs to decide who advances in bracket play but the matches are recorded as draws. In a perfect world, the SCHSL would adopt the "world's rules" and play 90 minutes with no overtime or shootouts and the winner/loser would be decided in that time span - or either a tie would result .

D
throw in
throw in
D
How are the statistics calculated for a nil to nil draw that goes to PKs in either a regular season or in a tournament game? Is the game recorded as a shutout for both keepers? If the score is recorded as 1:0 (as no game may end in a draw), does that matter? Or technically, should it be recorded on Eurosport as 0:0 and then in the notes specify team A won in PKs 5-4?

Thanks!

S
Brace
Brace
S
Quote:

How are the statistics calculated for a nil to nil draw that goes to PKs in either a regular season or in a tournament game? Is the game recorded as a shutout for both keepers? If the score is recorded as 1:0 (as no game may end in a draw), does that matter? Or technically, should it be recorded on Eurosport as 0:0 and then in the notes specify team A won in PKs 5-4?

Thanks!

I keep stats for our team & count them as shutouts if the game ends 0-0 after regulation & OT. Not sure how others do

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard