Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Throw In
Throw In
K
Quote:

in hampton sc
at wade hampton high school

Ok gotcha Referees are always at the center of many discussions some are very good, some are in between and others are as good as they were when they first became a referee the reason i asked was in Charleston we have many meetings prior to the start of the season where we constantly review the HS rules we go over test questions from previous years test and any unique situations that our referees encounter on the field we also have several opportunities for our Referees to complete a PFT if they wish to officiate in the Playoffs (this is not required to officiate the regular season)we also have referees who are brand new to officiating and we use the pre season scrimmages to give them an opportunity to put in practice what we cover in theory so obviously there will be mistakes made and lessons learned along the way but we work to have inexperienced officials work with experienced officials to help them when necessary here comes the kicker despite our best efforts to help our Referees be as prepared as possible we do get it wrong sometimes and this needs to be understood by all that this is and will always happen because none of us are perfect If a Referee on tv reffing in the BPL can mess up why cant "Joe Schmo" from where ever get it wrong too.

As a Coach of many many years and a Referee who officiates U10 to Professional players here is some advice someone gave me years ago I hope you can find use for it as well whenever you find yourself in a situation where the reffing is not to your liking instead of yelling at the referee constantly WHICH DOES NOT WORK TO YOUR ADVANTAGE channel all that "energy" into your coaching and positively encourage your team to play the best soccer they can play as players tend to "follow the leader". Just my thoughts.

Kevin...

we run things, things nuh run we.....
Goal
Goal
Then why not do the same for the refs? I could use the same scenario for coaches or ref instructors. If a player is trained and sent into a game and the player makes mistakes, we help the player with more practice before then sending the player out for a another game. We continually instruct throughout the season. We do not just do a few practices and let it ride. Sadly some players are not meant to be starters and are subs. They are still important to the team, but they aren't the major deciding factors of a game. After a while, a player may be with the program for a few years but of they can't keep up they sometimes have to be cut. Not trying to sound cut throat but maybe instead of people complaining of refs or others trying to be a smart butt cuz their "brothers" were called bad, why not get a council of both coaches and refs so that both sides can help each other instead of always bickering.

Last edited by eMnAvA; 05/08/14 06:17 PM.
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
First of all i don't yell at or call out ref's. The last few games we have had some who just don't know what they are doing. The ref i had last night was to busy talking to fan's and not watching the match.This effected both teams not just my team. Guy's train all season for soccer and then have someone not watching and older guy's who just can not keep up the pace of a high school match really is not fair to all player's. I am 52 so i am not picking on old guy's. There are a few in my area that are in their mid 60's and cannot keep up. A man's got to know his limitations. And before anybody goes off the deep end here just stating fact's. I agree screaming at ref's all night does not help your cause,just wish some fans would yell support for player's and leave ref's alone. I have vented so thank ya'll.
Peace

N
Kickoff
Kickoff
N
i will say this. Kevin and I referee together at the college level as well as the U10-USL Pro Level. In our college assignments, we are sent all over South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia. But understand that we are paid for travel. If you feel that you are not receiving what you expect out of your refereeing and want something better. Feel free to contact our local association.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Thanks for the info

K
Throw In
Throw In
K
Whenever the issue of Officiating quality comes around it always gets touchy and trust me when i tell you i absolutely understand this from both sides of the fence, so the reason why i went into what is being done in Charleston is not to say that we don't get it wrong sometimes because that would not be true but merely to give you a vehicle to take to your local referee assignor and say look i know Reffing is not always easy and there are going to be some good moments and some bad ones ultimately were looking for more good ones vs bad ones but here is what i experienced last night and I am quite sure this is not what you are expecting from your officials when you send them out to the different schools and this could be a good time to find out what measures your assignor takes to prepare officials for the season and whenever feedback is received on a official whether good or bad how is this handled because the truth is if there is no feedback then they will assume that all is well and the fixable problems will never get addressed and it sounds like what you experienced can be addressed via a phone call or email from the assignor to the Referee. In Charleston our assignor works really hard to try and put officials in a situation where they can be successful but at times it can come down to who is available when and they might not be the best fit for that particular game but that is who is available there are so many variables to consider. Have a word with your assignor and there is nothing wrong with venting because if they don't know about the problem then it wont get addressed. Good luck the rest of the season.

Kevin...

we run things, things nuh run we.....
Goal
Goal
Thursday, May 8
Ninety Six, SC

Clinton 0-4 Ninety Six

Sean Vick
Christ Church Soccer
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Wade Hampton 7
Colleton 0

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
@ Eastside

Eastside 3- Greenville 1

Goals: Eastside - AlMasri, Corley, Donohue
Greenville - Jones

*Eastside played with 10 men after a red card in the 25th minute with the score 1-0 Eastside

K
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
K
5/8
@Riverside 2
Boiling Springs 1

Riverside wins in PK's

Kevin Brabham
Spartanburg High School
Men's Head Soccer Coach
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5