Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167497 05/19/14 04:44 PM
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
I'm curious to hear what coaches think about the difference on playing on natural grass vs. turf. Which do you prefer and is your home field natural or turf?
I was talking to a football coach and he told me they won a playoff game because the team they played hadn't played on natural grass for a few seasons.
Will a team playing for a state championship that's used to it have an advantage?

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Not a coach.... but....

State Championship is on turf. Ball moves faster on turf and the passing is quicker and more crisp. But on the boys side I don't think it is as much of an advantage cause the game moves so fast to begin with.

A fast team would have an advantage on turf though because the surface is faster and easier to run on than grass, especially deeper grass like some teams like to use to slow down fast teams.

At the state championship level it probably doesn't make difference at all.

Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Would turf give someone a home field advantage the same way field size does?

Pjay, if you are a player, which do you prefer to play on?

P
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
P
Not a player, a fan.

I think the players would rather play on turf, other than grass burns. Part of that comes from the fact that grass fields tend to be in bad shape due to football season etc etc.

Which field would you rather play on??
JL Mann's field last year during playoffs
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31.0-8/922078_4530255975193_836546025_o.jpg

Fort Mill's turf this year
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...731182594_o.jpg

Which one looks to have a smoother more consistent playing surface?

There are also less injuries on turf cause you don't have holes and mud spots and clumps etc etc. And they are 10000000 times better in the rain. Played our last boys game in the rain and not one puddle on the whole field. Other than it being slipper and wet the rain had no impact on the game compared to years past where the field fills with puddles and it becomes a mess.

N
Kickoff
Kickoff
N
I am not a player but i am on the field with the players. I think that the surface and size of the field plays a big part of the game. Take for instance, A team that plays an a small field does not do as well on a large field and the same goes the other way. I think it is harder for a team that plays on a large field to go to a small field and dominate like they do on the larger field. I know it is a little off track but the playing surface is huge. So, if River Bluff wins on Tuesday and plays for the 3A Championship AT HOME, it will make a huge difference to the winner of James Island/Brookland Cayce. Both JI and BC play on grass. You get a more consistent roll of the ball on turf. There are no divots, holes, sprinkler heads, patches of sand, taller/shorter grass and most of the turf fields are some what flat. Very little pitch or crown to the field. Another factor in turf, that will play a big factor in teams that have never played on it, will be all the different lines for lacrosse and football. Dont get me wrong, i love the turf. It makes for a very fast game and it you can play on it year round. It does get very hot in the summer and hard in the winter.

U
Throw In
Throw In
U
Turf sucks for keepers.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
As a former player and now a coach I really prefer natural grass. If you play on turf the ball reacts differently than is does on grass so if 2 teams meet in the finals and one plays on turf and the other does not then the team that is used to the surface does have an advantage because the players are used to the different reaction of the ball when it hits the turf. The pace is faster but you have to adjust the weight of your passes on turf.

Brian Dender JL Mann Boys Soccer
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
When Williams Brice had turf back in the day, we practiced on Thursday before the Saturday State Championship. Even during warm ups we were afraid to fall on it and the guys were getting all cut up and burned. That was a full padded football player.

A few years ago I kicked around on a field in the UNC training area it was much softer and had "give". I didn't have that cringe factor thinking about tackling or falling on it.

From a pure passer perspective the turf is so nice but I pay the price with heels that beg me to never play on turf again.

One thing I have not experimented on turf yet is kicking a lofted ball. On grass I can kick and have it settle in two bounces, not sure if on turf how much I would need to adjust my cut/swerve/shawacky on the ball.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
time to go back to Stone Stadium. Better yet - three year rotation - Furman, USC and Patriots.

Turf is for walking the dog. Unless everyone has access to tyrf to practice it should not even be considered.

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Turf ONLY plays like grass when it is slick, greasy, wet etc. I like turf when it is wet from either rain, or from dew formed from when the sun goes down and the lights are turned on. It plays faster then and then only. On a warm dry day, turf is much SLOWER than grass. Those that say otherwise are perhaps not taking those conditions into account. For example, if a lofted through ball is played to the run of a center forward on a warm, dry day the ball STICKS as it bounces and the forward may have to check or hold their run. A player may also experience this sticking as he/she is in close control and trying to move the ball out of their feet. This is caused not only by friction of the plastic artificial grass blades but more-so by the dry black rubber pellets that also cause friction. On grass, the same lofted pass on a dry day will still more likely SKIP ahead as it lands due to the water content in the grass blades yielding as the ball makes contact with the grass ; hence, grass stains as you slide.

Dry turf is a slower surface for moving the ball BUT is faster for player movement, especially in terms of agility and changing direction. Players grip the surface better and their cleats don't sink into the ground with each step. Many studies in football (American) demonstrate this fact.

Therefore, its not simply an apples to apples comparison. I would take a well manicured natural grass field (like Dorman et al) over turf any day of the week... BUT would take turf over a poorly maintained grass field all day also. A wet grass and turf field play the most similar. Under these circumstances, I don't think its much of an advantage as both are quick.

Interesting question though for sure. pro's and con's for both arguments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard